tor

Increasing your Wage

195 posts in this topic

Speaking of pimps and $1000.00 a shift.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/15884124/single-mums-turn-to-brothels-and-stripping/

Thats one way to increase your wage. I don't understand how the lady who works full time is affected by the single mother cuts to centre link? I thought the idea of these changes was to encourage single mums to go back to the paid workplace when their youngest turned 8? Would not surprise me if they have made a meal of it though and individeuals are worse off whichever way they go.

I wondered the same thing about the full time worker. Why is she still getting a pension? Family benefit is unaffected by the change. As are child care benefits.

This is a good guide to wages for IT workers. Although in Canberra at the moment contractors are having a tougher time of it. With Gillard cracking down on 457 visas citing IT workers in particular it could be happier times ahead.

Wage guide from Greythorn for 2012 -2013

This is a good guide to wages for IT workers. Although in Canberra at the moment contractors are having a tougher time of it. With Gillard cracking down on 457 visas citing IT workers in particular it could be happier times ahead.

Wage guide from Greythorn for 2012 -2013

Thanks for that. It confirms my theory that project managers are overpaid. tongue.gif

Thanks for that. It confirms my theory that project managers are overpaid. tongue.gif

It's just that there are so many bad PM's. A good one is worth their weight in gold. :)

Employers want a 'cheapie, just arrived off the boat', Aussie IT workers told

Don't know how true it is. But I don't work in private.

While IT figureheads are in high dudgeon over Prime Minister Julia Gillard's call for a crackdown on rorting and abuse of the 457 temporary visa system, local IT workers says she's on the money.

To my mind, this is the biggest rort in the system.

Senior IT consultant

The situation is far from new. Vendors began using cut-price foreign talent to up their profits and elbow Aussies out of jobs early last decade, as soon as they twigged they could, according to those who claim to have been stung by the practice.

While debate over the visa system rages, IT consultancy Mahindra Satyam has announced plans to use staff from India, Malaysia and the Philippines to up its Australian head count from 1600 to 5000 over the next two years.

Forty per cent of the staff would be located in Australia and 60 per cent offshore to Mahindra Satyam, head of ANZ operations Bobby Gupta told India's The Economic Times on Tuesday.

The region currently accounts for 8 per cent of the firm's $US1.31 billion annual revenue.

One worker told Fairfax Media he was made redundant from his nine-year IT management gig with a national liquor retailer in 2003 after the company hired Satyam (now Mahindra Satyam) to take over the IT jobs of eight local staff.

"Satyam had set up company offices in Australia and were bringing in Indian IT staff to do our jobs," the worker claimed.

"We were given a few months' notice of our redundancy and in that time we had to train the Indian staff on how to support our internal systems. It was never said but we were made to feel that if you wanted your redundancy payment, you had to train them. While training the Indian staff, we found out that they were all in Australia on 457 visas.

"There were six of them with some rotating to give others exposure to the systems."

IT professionals say this practice is in common with other major systems integrators and consultancies that use short-term 456 and longer-term 457 visas to boost their bottom line by importing lower-paid overseas workers.

Don't know how true it is.

It s true alright. Employers continue to be picky. I know of three real job openings that continue to be reposted because they can't "find" the people.

Don't know how true it is. But I don't work in private.

I doubt this type of practice is widespread in companies that insource staffing requirements. I'd say it has more to do with professional services companies (PSCs) that are based both in Australia and Asia (India, China, etc.) - which is what the article alluded to.

Cutting 457 visas isn't going to change much. The PSCs will just adapt... expect more business visas to be used. Companies that outsource will continue to outsource (and only insource for other reasons).

I was at a conference last year where a company talked about their experiences offshoring in China (IIRC it was realestate.com.au funnily enough). They did not outsource because of cost but primarily because there wasn't a deep enough talent pool to recruit from in Australia... trying to find 50 developers with specific skills (quickly) just ain't gonna happen. It can happen in China. There was also the additional problem of accommodating such a large staff increase... they didn't have the space. They explicitly stated that price (per head count) was not a primary driver for their decision to outsource.

I regularly work with staff who are from India, both located here and in India (pretty much all in southern India). It has generally been great working with them and are no different to local staff... some are more talented and motivated than others.

It s true alright. Employers continue to be picky. I know of three real job openings that continue to be reposted because they can't "find" the people.

My impression is that IT employers are looking for purple squirrels and then act surprised when they can't find them.

My impression is that IT employers are looking for purple squirrels and then act surprised when they can't find them.

In my experience the problem is not with the IT department but with the HR recruitment process. HR are generally useless when recruiting IT staff.

In my experience the problem is not with the IT department but with the HR recruitment process. HR are generally useless when recruiting IT staff.

and how! my favourite is once I was interviewing dba's and this one guy looked great on paper, spoke well and then when given the whiteboard and a fairly simple problem to solve (which was step one in the technical phase) he fell apart completely. I felt bad for the guy and said "great thanks" and finished the technical bit. He knew he had failed, I knew he had failed and I think he was grateful for not being pushed into further humiliation for no purpose.

The HR person was "oh are you finished the technical? normally you ask many more questions". "Yeah I am happy with what we have so far" "are you sure because we have time if you wanted to ask him more?" "no no seriously we know what we need to know". And the guy left.

Then she banged on and on about how he seemed great and if I _didn't_ ask all the technical questions it must be because the guy was so awesome. I had to explain 3 or 4 times what had happened :)

I have my fair share of applicant experience. All the jobs I have gotten distinctly didn't involve HR. The thing I perceive is that each employer likes to depict itself as special with "unique" extraordinary goals and a certainty that they only employ the best due to their superiority but when you compare the recruitment methods, the questions asked and the judgements taken every single one is the same.

[/size]

I doubt this type of practice is widespread in companies that insource staffing requirements. I'd say it has more to do with professional services companies (PSCs) that are based both in Australia and Asia (India, China, etc.) - which is what the article alluded to.

Cutting 457 visas isn't going to change much. The PSCs will just adapt... expect more business visas to be used. Companies that outsource will continue to outsource (and only insource for other reasons).

I was at a conference last year where a company talked about their experiences offshoring in China (IIRC it was realestate.com.au funnily enough). They did not outsource because of cost but primarily because there wasn't a deep enough talent pool to recruit from in Australia... trying to find 50 developers with specific skills (quickly) just ain't gonna happen. It can happen in China. There was also the additional problem of accommodating such a large staff increase... they didn't have the space. They explicitly stated that price (per head count) was not a primary driver for their decision to outsource.

I regularly work with staff who are from India, both located here and in India (pretty much all in southern India). It has generally been great working with them and are no different to local staff... some are more talented and motivated than others.

Yeah that's what I thought as well. I cant imagine being able to hire 50 developers quickly here. We can barely get one or two (good) developers. I would prefer that we trained local talent to achieve the critical mass required to create employment in the IT industry here but given that IT graduates have dropped 50% in the last decade to around 5000 pa 457 visas are likely to continue to be required.

I took this to indicate increased outsourcing of government IT projects post election. Needless to say I've been busy consolidating my own position as much as possible. Who knows? I may enter private enterprise sooner than I think. :) I've recently taken to attending OWASP meetings as these would be prime recruiting grounds for government vendors. Plus there's free pizza and beer.

IT firms target Canberra in anticipation of government demand

The Canberra IT industry is gearing up for a boom in demand for services from government agencies, with two large firms - one multinational and one local - expanding and consolidating their Canberra offices within weeks of each other.

Chief Minister Katy Gallagher officially opened the new Canberra offices of the nation's largest Australian-owned IT company, UXC Limited, on Wednesday, after the company outgrew its series of smaller premises and consolidated a number of service branches into one.

UXC managing director Cris Nicolli said the $370 million company, with 2600 employees across the country, had already increased its Canberra staff by about 10 per cent in the past few months and intended to expand further in coming years.

''We expect to be here for a long time,'' Mr Nicolli said. He predicted more government services would move online. ''There's a real obligation for the government to become a lot more efficient and effective in the way it deals with their consumer, their customer.''

Ms Gallagher said the IT industry represented a significant growth area for the ACT economy, and more government work would likely play a role in that. ''I think this is probably our best opportunity in the next few years, and I think these companies are always good at reading the market, and they're not expanding here without the belief that there are going to be great opportunities going forward,'' Ms Gallagher said.

Thanks for sharing, this is quite a read... more than just the usual $x for a particular type of role.

You're most welcome Mr M. :)

You're most welcome Mr M. smile.gif

Thanks from me too.

The wages/rates in my area looked about right.

It never ceases to amaze me that you can perform a role which is vital to the enterprise for years, perform complex work, innovate up the wazoo, streamline processes and massively increase efficiency and never receive so much as a jot of recognition from management. But you create even the most simple tangible object like a web page with pretty charts that management can actually see and praise for your efforts abounds. 

1 person likes this

Alrighty. So Eric Abetz has decided that nobody in the APS deserves a pay rise unless they sacrifice some conditions. Sub-inflation offers are being made to just about every department in return for loss of conditions. That's if negotiations have started at all. No backpay is a core condition of the APS negotiation so each day of delaying benefits the budget.

I know most of you are sympathetic to the plight of the humble public servant and are distraught at our predicament!

I'm here tonight to allay your fears. As a workaround for the current impasse in an effort to appease the more vocal members of the workforce certain departments are invoking individual flexibility arrangements. Huzzah!  :)

This in no way affects my ability to protest as a staunch advocate of collective bargaining - but rather increases my ability to hold out in the event of a dispute. Lovely!

Negotiations need a keen and creative intellect and a clear view on the preferred outcome. Erica may have one of those on his side.

Negotiations need a keen and creative intellect and a clear view on the preferred outcome. Erica may have one of those on his side.

Industrial action is imminent. 

Industrial action is imminent. 

Linkedin mails are interested in my mad skillz. This is vaguely encouraging in a time of austerity in government... Might be time to enjoy a hiatus from the APS. Or use it as leverage. :sly:  Same job, same duties but double the wage. I've asked for 180K  :lol: Cheap at half the price. My fear is they will accept. 75% of the time will be on client sites away from Canberry unfortunately which won't please Ms Clown.