staringclown

Music thread

1952 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, staringclown said:

This one's growing on me. A bond villain singing goth. He's a very ugly man - especially with a torch under his chin. ^_^

Ugly! Just shows how much of a teenage goth chic you are. He makes bats swoon. Something about bone structure. 

46 minutes ago, staringclown said:

I'm rapidly forming a theory (AKA a thought bubble) on societal repression and the reaction against it through music

I've a thought bubble on using the extremity tolerated in music as a surrogate measure for the repressiveness of a society. Though without a translation it's a difficult thing to prove. They could have the most violent guitar riffs and be screaming how much they agree with the governments policies. A bit like Christian rock. It's generally sh*te. There's probably a PHD in it but I'm far too lazy to pursue it. 

For instance in this lame little ditty from China they are probably just singing about yellow bananas...

Banana is a Chinese term for a Chinese person who has adopted western ways. As in yellow on outside white inside. It is meant to be an insult,  to shame them for rejecting Chinese culture. 

Iranian metal...another example for your thesis. I'm happy to be your PHD supervisor ;-)

9 minutes ago, Ugg said:

Ugly! Just shows how much of a teenage goth chic you are. He makes bats swoon. Something about bone structure. 

Hmmm... Not the most attractive critters. I dare say he could swoon them though.

9449634-3x2-large.jpg?v=6

2 minutes ago, staringclown said:

Hmmm... Not the most attractive critters. I dare say he could swoon them though.

9449634-3x2-large.jpg?v=6

For the bats

9 minutes ago, Ugg said:

Banana is a Chinese term for a Chinese person who has adopted western ways. As in yellow on outside white inside. It is meant to be an insult,  to shame them for rejecting Chinese culture. 

Iranian metal...another example for your thesis. I'm happy to be your PHD supervisor ;-)

Ah, like watermelon? More subversive than I thought. 

Iranian metal could be as anti-American as I liked I'm assuming... 

A bit like the Clash...

If I submit my candidacy can I nominate you? :)

16 minutes ago, Ugg said:

For the bats

I'm liking the witch music. 

30 minutes ago, staringclown said:

I'm liking the witch music. 

Well then

It's only Wednesday so I can hold back the worst of my satanic influences as much as I enjoy them... Come friday however.

I think I've played this at least three times. But it is worthy of reprise. And it fits the current black/death/grave/tomb theme

12 hours ago, staringclown said:

It's only Wednesday so I can hold back the worst of my satanic influences as much as I enjoy them... Come friday however.

Friday Satanism then.

Sinéad O'Connor is an interesting case study of how looks affect perception of a person.

Perhaps she shaved her head because she wanted to be appreciated for her art and not her pretty face. It seems her career went down the gurgler after she went "weird" in the eyes of the public.

Maybe it is naive to think that we can avoid being judged by our cover. It is a shame, really. But tribal instincts are deep seated animal instincts that we humans have inherited. I don't think it can be avoided, despite our best intentions. People even get offended if one does not live up to their expectations of what we should be for them.

On 13/08/2019 at 2:45 AM, AndersB said:

Sinéad O'Connor is an interesting case study of how looks affect perception of a person.

Perhaps she shaved her head because she wanted to be appreciated for her art and not her pretty face. It seems her career went down the gurgler after she went "weird" in the eyes of the public.

Maybe it is naive to think that we can avoid being judged by our cover. It is a shame, really. But tribal instincts are deep seated animal instincts that we humans have inherited. I don't think it can be avoided, despite our best intentions. People even get offended if one does not live up to their expectations of what we should be for them.

I'm not sure it was the shaved head.  The crazy rants against just about everybody and the lack of good music were also an influence in the 'weird' categorisation. A bit like Bono. :P

I still listen to Sinead. At least the earlier stuff. If she puts out a decent single again I'd be happy to listen again. I don't agree with her views on most things.

It's like the argument as to whether you can still appreciate Wagner due to his anti-semitic views. Or whether the statue of Rhodes should be toppled at Oxford Uni. Or Winston's anti-Indian racism.

Historical revisionism seeks to erase history. I'd prefer that such flaws were remembered. So as to be avoided in future.

And now a tune...