staringclown

Music thread

1820 posts in this topic

Well, on the funkier side, trip-hop might be your thing (Massive Attack is one example from the trip-hop genre). Also have a browse around Stompy.com and Beatport.com, there is plenty of stuff that you can listen to before you purchase.

Also check out some of the Simian Mobile Disco tunes (my picks are "Hustler" and "i Believe"), the official music video to "Hustler" is perhaps an interpretation of ugly greed. Some chicks have a done a pretty saucy video of their own. Check out "Feather Leather" by Spoonbill (the music video is also pretty cute and matches the music nicely). You should be able to find the videos on you tube. I have the official videos in wide screen format at SD broadcast or DVD resolution.

Cheers Tux.

Massive Attack is one example from the trip-hop genre)

Got stacks of Tricky, Portishead, Massive etc. More keen on newer up and coming stuff so thanks for the links :) Will report back at some stage.

Cant recommend the script's self titled album enough, which was given to me by my cousin

Just about the easiest to listen to album ive heard. One of those one's that you just feel everyone should give it a chance, and if they do they'll love it.

The Sweetest Smile

Oh, that guy who performed "Wonderful Life"! Sweetest Smile is waaaaay mellow, "Wonderful Life" is better IMO (heh heh both times it was released).

This

is excellent Spoonbill/Dropbear stuff, though not sure if this track can be purchased anywhere. Love this track though.

This

is excellent Spoonbill/Dropbear stuff, though not sure if this track can be purchased anywhere. Love this track though.

Awesomely awesome. Might I return the favour with this suggestion: Thievery corporation feat Seu Gorge - radio retaliation - mandala.

Speaking of extreme...

- defines the decade. Cynicism rules ok. I love the song (poem) but reject the more wacky conspiracy sh*t (I mean KGB really!) even so worth a listen till the end... SS looking at you here ^_^

2 musical epiphanies in my life:

2nd year in uni Miles Davis performed at a small club near my school and i was lucky enough to buy tickets (i knew the name, not the music). absolutely amazing, even though the guy was like 70 years old.

3 years ago visited vienna, mozart's magic flute - wow. i sooooo envy the viennese. you can see world class opera for around 20 bucks (if you don't mind standing) in vienna. and then you can go to the nearest piazza, have a good goulash and some really good beer for not much more. now *thats* an evening out. if i were given the option to live anywhere in the world it would be a tossup between hawaii (the big island) and vienna. man... nothing ever beats live music.

the next closest epiphany was itzhak perlman performing live in japan. truly amazing. had gooseflesh throughout the concert.

This

Oh oh oh! Nice. I thought I was going to be out on my own here, but if you can handle experimental sampled music, may I recommend The Lemon Of Pink and Lost And Safe by The Books? It's not always easy listening but can be pretty rewarding. Don't sample a track - these are albums that need to be listened to as albums, preferably using headphones. Phenomental spatial separation too.

I'm been mostly listening to Ms. John Soda, Pretty Girls Make Graves and Stars lately, and somebody gave me Missincat the other day because they were touring with Darren Hanlon. Meh. Maybe okay.

Don't be listening to that JJJ hottest 100 crap. This Australia day get loud and proud with some classic Oz rock and roll

Top five that I could think of in 10 minutes

Predates the sex pistols Aussie punk at it's peak

A nice song for nice people

He's a crap environment minister but still like the music

A tip of the hat to a convict past

The parameters - Pig city

Anti Joh Bjelke song from a classic Brissy band from my youth. Anyone who listened to 4ZZZ in the day will know it

Booka Shade - Donut

Cute

, those who like retro games will appreciate.

Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You

music video

Edited by tux

Recently, Men at Work lost a legal battle involving their song "Down Under" because it contained a 'riff' played on a flute which was similar to the tune of "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree".

Remember, it took more than twenty years for someone to notice, that's how similar the two are!

Now this took just five minutes to recognise. Do you think Joe Jackson will be upset with

? The bass synth sounds a lot like the bass line in
, don't you think? Edited by tux

Recently, Men at Work lost a legal battle involving their song "Down Under" because it contained a 'riff' played on a flute which was similar to the tune of "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree".

Remember, it took more than twenty years for someone to notice, that's how similar the two are!

Now this took just five minutes to recognise. Do you think Joe Jackson will be upset with

? The bass synth sounds a lot like the bass line in
, don't you think?

It does sound very much like Joe. That men at work thing was a shameless cash grab.

Booka shade reminds me of

happy.gif

Booka shade reminds me of

happy.gif

I'd say Booka Shade would be somewhat influenced by Kraftwerk. Both are German too.

My favourite Kraftwerk tune.

Edited by tux

I'd say Booka Shade would be somewhat influenced by Kraftwerk. Both are German too.

My favourite Kraftwerk tune.

It's a nice tune. Are you familiar with Squarepusher?

That's a blast from the past. :)

William Shatner singing Rocket Man. He's a complex man. :D

By way of an apology for Shatner singing "Rock it, man" (and the whole pro smoking message) Here's little tune which might be deemed more appropriate to the current global situation. Take the money and run An oldie but still a goodie. :)