Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RumpledElf

Spam

14 posts in this topic

There's been a LOT of spammers sign up recently. So many it is beyond a joke.

There's so many I've just done a flat removal of any inactive accounts (spammers tend to sign up now and post later) and I have been VERY indiscriminate with my deletion.

So if you signed up a year ago and never got around to posting, bad luck, you have to sign up again. The only consolation is your username will be free.

There's been a LOT of spammers sign up recently. So many it is beyond a joke.

There's so many I've just done a flat removal of any inactive accounts (spammers tend to sign up now and post later) and I have been VERY indiscriminate with my deletion.

So if you signed up a year ago and never got around to posting, bad luck, you have to sign up again. The only consolation is your username will be free.

Thanks RE.

Appreciate your vigilance.

Hardly vigilance - this spam attack is rather hard to miss. Across both forums I've deleted about 600 users today and a LOT of spam posts on the other forum (this one seems to stop the posts at least). I've had enough <censored> <censored> hot young <censoreds> with <censored>'s to last me an eternity. We just point blank deleted every new user from January on the other forum. All several hundred of them.

And its not just my forums either, it seems quite widespread this month.

Hardly vigilance - this spam attack is rather hard to miss. Across both forums I've deleted about 600 users today and a LOT of spam posts on the other forum (this one seems to stop the posts at least). I've had enough <censored> <censored> hot young <censoreds> with <censored>'s to last me an eternity. We just point blank deleted every new user from January on the other forum. All several hundred of them.

Well then for your diligence.

This is still a very well run forum, and it is always pleasant to come here, and not have entire threads disrupted by insane and inane posts.

I can't speak for others, but I appreciate your efforts.

Thank-you.

1 person likes this

What other forum?

What other forum?

My other forum (TOTALLY unrelated to this one)... you don't need to know unless you already know, in which case you know so you don't need to ask :)

Its a lot smaller than this one but is several years older so the spambots know about it and then some. I find the other one always gets hit first and harder by whatever is going around, so whatever ban filters and anti-spam measures I put in on that one always end up getting put in on this one too. We've picked up an absolutely fantastic set of moderators over there as well, but there's only so much spam you can expect volunteers to deal with manually.

I have marked as spam the 200 odd pages of accumulated validating users. Man that took some time. 

I'll try to keep on top of the spammers so that any genuine users can sign up. We get about 15-20 spam users sign up per day. If you are a genuine user that wants to sign up I suggest you don't use an address like jhhjjhhbbg@hotmail.com or you'll end up in the spam bucket.

If you are a genuine user that wants to sign up I suggest you don't use an address like jhhjjhhbbg@hotmail.com or you'll end up in the spam bucket.

Luckily I use jhhjjhhbbgg@hotmail.com instead. :)

Luckily I use jhhjjhhbbgg@hotmail.com instead. :)

:) Well of course I'll keep my eye out for the extra 'g' then...

If anyone can make a scrabble word out of those letters then obviously membership is automatic...

Dammit I thought this was about that delicious and disparaged tinned luncheon meat.

Substitute spam for bacon at breakfast.   Fried Spam is not nearly as bad as you's thing.   In a hash, well, delicious.

Apologies,

That was me that let in that NathanPn dude. My dilemma is that I want new members but you never quite know what they will do. :blush:

I generally screen for multiple addresses for the one IP and their email can't be a random string of letters. I generally disallow IP's from Russia, China etc that just look dodgy. This one snuck through the net.

SC

I'm not sure I have enough moderation super powers to stop this pimp... RE? 

I'm not sure I have enough moderation super powers to stop this pimp... RE? 

+1 for benevolent dictator powers for SC... so as long as you can recover DB errors. :)

Never give power to those that request it...

I couldn't seem to stop him posting until I found a way to wield the Banhammer on Sunday.  :blush: The posting restrictions didn't seem to work.  :huh:

Anyhoo, thanks Mr M for the vote of confidence. If RE could enable a script to reboot the server that would be more responsive but would also require a considerable degree of trust. Not sure I've earned that much trust.  ;)