savagegoose

way to cut down food bills

16 posts in this topic

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/10/131967496/Thinking-About-Eating-May-Mean-Eating-Less

way to save n food bills, and help the staRVING masses

Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University say that repeatedly thinking about eating a certain food — M&Ms or cheese — led study participants to eat less of the food once it was presented to them. Researcher Carey Morewedge describes the work and its implications for dieters.

Cut down grocery bills by going shopping a day after you normally would for a weekly shop. After 7 weeks, you've saved yourself from buying a week's worth of groceries. It's only one extra day, and you can clean out your freezer.

Cut down grocery bills by going shopping a day after you normally would for a weekly shop. After 7 weeks, you've saved yourself from buying a week's worth of groceries. It's only one extra day, and you can clean out your freezer.

Thats interesting

the doctor told my dad to walk 10 km a day, a month later he called from alice springs

but on a serious note if only imagining paying the rent worked the same way.

Wouldn't work for me as I eat too much fresh produce and hoard too much non-perishables.

What may be easier is to foresake a meal per day (only have two) or go without desserts and treats.

the doctor told my dad to walk 10 km a day, a month later he called from alice springs

but on a serious note if only imagining paying the rent worked the same way.

if you have a dumb, or lazy landlord it might work. a colleague had tenants paying 4 weeks every month, he ticked it off as paid. it took him a few months to realise 4 weeks is not a month.

the put off shopping for a week is a good frugal idea. i stock up on non perishables when they are on super special. i might buy 6 months of toilet paper, or canned tomatoes. i also buy whatever meat is marked down because it has a few days left and put it in the freezer.

Make a list of what you have in your pantry, cupboards, freezer and fridge and organise a menu plan for the rest of the week with most of what you already have. Go shopping for what you don't have and stick to the list. And add delicious meals, things you like, but also a couple of easy nights where you know you won't feel like cooking. That way every morning you know exactly what you're having for dinner - there's no guessing and hardly any wastage.

It's a good way of seeing what you have and what you don't need.

You can even use a crockpot to get it happening until you get home from work.

Which reminds me of a recipe: Beef slow cooked in coca-cola. Holy moly. That on fresh bread with the gravy is incredible.

Which reminds me of a recipe: Beef slow cooked in coca-cola. Holy moly. That on fresh bread with the gravy is incredible.

You know where to go. Keep in mind there is a kamado owner and an egg owner on here and we won't stand for some half arsed recipe. We need facts and details :)

Too right! I've done a baked ham glazed with coke. I think I got the recipe from a nigella program. It was... interesting.

My sister used to make "gerard steak". It was pretty sweet. How do you deal with the sugar levels of coke?

Reminds me I made some Bulkalbi ribs for some koreans the other night. Went over a treat and they took a bunch home with them. The kamado comes through again. The recipe actually called for a kamado style oven to cook them. I will scurry over to the recipe thread and post it soon. Been doing a lot of jam making over the past couple of weekends. I can't speak highly enough of fowlers vaccola stuff.

I can't speak highly enough of fowlers vaccola stuff.

And there I thought I was the only one. Ah Fowlers, the love that really dares not speak it's name.

This whole 'floods over most of our productive land' thing has brought out the frugal in me. The garden is in overdrive and I'm planning ahead to try and figure out exactly how much I can squeeze out of a suburban block.

And there I thought I was the only one. Ah Fowlers, the love that really dares not speak it's name.

This whole 'floods over most of our productive land' thing has brought out the frugal in me. The garden is in overdrive and I'm planning ahead to try and figure out exactly how much I can squeeze out of a suburban block.

We are small in number but influential.

Trouble is you can't give the jam away when in fowlers jars. Too expensive. So you need to package a batch in recycled jars to provide jam back to your fruit providers. Our neighbours are the main supplier but it's amazing how many people (when asked) say go for your life when you point out their overflowing fruit trees. They will let the fruit rot otherwise. Crazy.

We are small in number but influential.

Trouble is you can't give the jam away when in fowlers jars. Too expensive. So you need to package a batch in recycled jars to provide jam back to your fruit providers. Our neighbours are the main supplier but it's amazing how many people (when asked) say go for your life when you point out their overflowing fruit trees. They will let the fruit rot otherwise. Crazy.

Totally agree.

I always make jam in 'disposable' jars so I have plenty to give away. I no longer do jam in Fowlers jars, only the fruit & veg, which only gets given to people who return the jars.

Do you process your jam a la Fowlers, or use the fowler's jamsetta, or both?

Urban foraging is both fun and practical. The best I ever had was in Melbourne where the old laneways where there were fruit trees and vines lounging over every other fence. I didn't tend to ask, just took what I needed - which wasn't that much, and was always in the public domain.

BTW might want to consider buying up on sugar as it'll probably go up in price a bit.

I love making jam, but don't have fowlers. I use regular, sterilised glass jars. I have made pickled onions, garlic etc, but I find that jams are the most liked. I bought a huge box of tasty cherries on the cheap around December and made about 4 jars of cherry jam. I had to cut the strength of the cherries with raspberry jelly crystals and a bit of pomegranate juice. You just choose which jelly crystals would add a nice contrast/flavour to your jam and after you've taken it off the heat, stir in the jelly crystals until they dissolve. I normally use a pectin, but sometimes both a pectin and jelly crystals if it doesn't fully set up for some reason.

I've done 2 punnets of mashed strawberries, sugar, cranberry juice, pectin and strawberry flavoured jelly crystals for a wonderful sweet and light jam.

Or, mulberries, blackberry juice, pectin and port wine flavoured jelly crystals.

You can do some interesting combinations.

Totally agree.

I always make jam in 'disposable' jars so I have plenty to give away. I no longer do jam in Fowlers jars, only the fruit & veg, which only gets given to people who return the jars.

Do you process your jam a la Fowlers, or use the fowler's jamsetta, or both?

Urban foraging is both fun and practical. The best I ever had was in Melbourne where the old laneways where there were fruit trees and vines lounging over every other fence. I didn't tend to ask, just took what I needed - which wasn't that much, and was always in the public domain.

BTW might want to consider buying up on sugar as it'll probably go up in price a bit.

We have our own stash in fowlers. I always use jamsetta because I like the results better (like a bought one) Ms clown doesn't like it so much so we got an excellent plum (with jamsetta) and an apricot sauce. Don't get me wrong the apricot sauce is great for sache tort etc but it doesn't fulfill my definition of jam. She's been rubbing in the compliments about the apricot for a week now. <_< I'm tossing up whether to "harvest" some crab apples hanging over a fence on the bike path close by. At least 5 kg and this season has been very kind. Urban foraging is underrated. :ph34r:

We have our own stash in fowlers. I always use jamsetta because I like the results better (like a bought one) Ms clown doesn't like it so much so we got an excellent plum (with jamsetta) and an apricot sauce. Don't get me wrong the apricot sauce is great for sache tort etc but it doesn't fulfill my definition of jam. She's been rubbing in the compliments about the apricot for a week now. <_< I'm tossing up whether to "harvest" some crab apples hanging over a fence on the bike path close by. At least 5 kg and this season has been very kind. Urban foraging is underrated. :ph34r:

Crab apple jelly (clear jam without lumps) is excellent, can be flavoured with mint to make mint jelly for lamb (if you like that sort of thing) and best of all does not require jamsetta.

I don't tend to get evangelical about a lot of things but I do think jam/jelly/preserves are all better with only fruit and sugar. Learning the right ratios is a skill, like learning to make bread - it teaches you about patience and detail.

SC - if you want to go ahead with the crab apples let me know and I'll post a recipe. It's best to get them very slightly under-ripe to maintain good levels of natural pectin.

Getting apricot jam to set, and to keep, is tricky - it isn't an easy jam. Again, success is more likely with a proportion of under-ripe fruit. Also, if the result is runny, it is much less likely to keep, so eat up!

How do you deal with the sugar levels of coke?

I think that the onion soup mix and can of soup in the recipe add enough salt to balance the flavours. You don't use a lot of coke. It won't make it taste strange or very different to the most wonderful roast beef with gravy from your favourite sandwich place.

Anyway, the recipe is posted in the mandatory recipe thread for anyone who's interested.

Edited by Carly