tor

Appliances

95 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I suck at rolling up the damn things. And that bamboo mat is so hard to keep clean. The rolls kind of fall apart on me...practice would make perfect no doubt, but I just can't be bothered and it takes a while. :) I do a better job on vegemite and cheese scroll dough with the rolling up action. Only one of my children eats fish and that's if I fry it in a coating of curried flour to disguise the taste. One child eats crab, the other eats prawns. Go figure.

I also want to try maki without the nori, just roll the outside in sesame seeds and the Sushezi looks like it compresses the rice so it holds together. Nigiri -- I'm not that much of a fan of raw fish myself. Thanks for the link though.

I suck at making sushi (and am mildly allergic to fish so I prefer to eat it with someone else making it) but if you are just after fresh flavours in a handy dandy format then I say you can't go past fresh spring rolls. Much easier to roll too, I can do them! I have scandinavian fishermans fingers, good for pulling nets up but not so good for fancy rolling type stuff.

Unfortunately, I suck at rolling up the damn things. And that bamboo mat is so hard to keep clean. The rolls kind of fall apart on me...practice would make perfect no doubt, but I just can't be bothered and it takes a while. :) I do a better job on vegemite and cheese scroll dough with the rolling up action. Only one of my children eats fish and that's if I fry it in a coating of curried flour to disguise the taste. One child eats crab, the other eats prawns. Go figure.

I also want to try maki without the nori, just roll the outside in sesame seeds and the Sushezi looks like it compresses the rice so it holds together. Nigiri -- I'm not that much of a fan of raw fish myself. Thanks for the link though.

The bamboo mat is impossible to use. I can't do it. I just roll them up using the nori itself as structural support.

Which makes rolling a nori-less variation impossible, so I'm sorry but I am all out of suggestions. Other than using gladwrap to hold the rice in shape while rolling, but then you have to sort of remove the gladwrap a fraction of a second before it sticks to itself.

That's a technique I have used occasionally with very architectural desserts and some forms of pastry, but it is waaaay harder than rolling sushi so I don't know that it's actually much help...

I don't mind the mat. A couple of things I do is keep a bowl of warm water close to keep the hands moist. Makes the rice a lot easier to handle. Form the rice into a flat rectangle up 2/3 of the way up the seaweed and slightly 1-2cm in from the other edges. Make a little channel in the the middle and presto.

useless - bread makers

Our Panasonic is 17 years old and other than having a drive belt replaced about 7 years ago and a new bearing in the mixing bowl, has given us flawless service. (I have a complete second hand unit for future use if needed, bought at a clearing sale about 5 years ago for $22.

I would hesitate to guess how many loaves of bread and lots of pizza dough it has turned out, but it has been a great appliance. It would have to be in the vicinity of 2.3 per week, and most of that in it's earlier life when the kids were home

Originally purchased on 4/06/1994 for $286.00

Edited by Popeye

Our Panasonic is 17 years old and other than having a drive belt replaced about 7 years ago and a new bearing in the mixing bowl, has given us flawless service. (I have a complete second hand unit for future use if needed, bought at a clearing sale about 5 years ago for $22.

I would hesitate to guess how many loaves of bread and lots of pizza dough it has turned out, but it has been a great appliance. It would have to be in the vicinity of 2.3 per week, and most of that in it's earlier life when the kids were home

Originally purchased on 4/06/1994 for $286.00

all the reviews i have read about panasonic bread makers have raved about them. so naturally panasonic stopped making them.... d'oh

all the reviews i have read about panasonic bread makers have raved about them. so naturally panasonic stopped making them.... d'oh

Hi Urchin, I think I that perhaps I should have kept my big mouth shut last night.

I was answering some mail about 30 minutes ago when The Little Woman (hereinafter called TLW) walked in with the bowl out of the bread maker in one hand and the mixer shaft in the other. An ominous sign,...

Ahhh, well,... I thought, it's time to go and get the spare out of the shed. Being a miserable hearted barsteward when it comes to throwing things out, I thought that i might take the bowl with me and have a look at it on the way. After a quick look it was obvious that the seal and bush arrangement in the bottom were pressed in from the inside of the bowl, so I got a short piece of 1" water pipe and punched it out using a brass drift, whereupon it immediately fell into two pieces. On close examination I could see that the shaft was supposed to be kept in location by a small circlip between these two halves. Now, being a scrounger who wrecks old computers and printers for their parts I have a most glorious sorted selection of bits 'n' pieces amongst which I knew was a good selection of circlips, and after a second or two digging in my trays found one of exactly the right size and pushed it onto the shaft. In two minutes it was reassembled, and is at present back in the breadmaker and full of pizza dough for tonight's tea.

Oh Happy, happy,...:clap:

Edited by Popeye

My coffee machine (rancilio) blew its heating element yesterday. I realised this morning. 4 hours facing instant coffee and I was a gibbering wreck; go out in public or have no coffee? Sophie had easy choices!

I got a bit panicky so I went and bought a new machine to use while the other one gets fixed. Apparently multi head machines are insane to have in your house and plus require electricians and other things that take more than an hour. Plus the salesman helpfully pointed out that when the rancilio is fixed I will have two group heads because I will have two machines.

He had a shiny, tubey, gaugey one in stock: http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/giotto-premium-plus-coffee-machine.asp so I grabbed one.

He reckons it is awesome unless I want to spend stupid amounts, there was a very pretty red one with cool styling but it was 12K and the girlfriend said I don't drink enough coffee to justify it.

So far (5 coffees) it is pretty good. I am a little twitchy. It looks good in the kitchen, frankly the rancilio now looks like a piece of crap and I don't know how I stood it aesthetically. Consigned to the office it is!

My coffee machine (rancilio) blew its heating element yesterday. I realised this morning. 4 hours facing instant coffee and I was a gibbering wreck; go out in public or have no coffee? Sophie had easy choices!

I got a bit panicky so I went and bought a new machine to use while the other one gets fixed. Apparently multi head machines are insane to have in your house and plus require electricians and other things that take more than an hour. Plus the salesman helpfully pointed out that when the rancilio is fixed I will have two group heads because I will have two machines.

He had a shiny, tubey, gaugey one in stock: http://www.bellabari...fee-machine.asp so I grabbed one.

He reckons it is awesome unless I want to spend stupid amounts, there was a very pretty red one with cool styling but it was 12K and the girlfriend said I don't drink enough coffee to justify it.

So far (5 coffees) it is pretty good. I am a little twitchy. It looks good in the kitchen, frankly the rancilio now looks like a piece of crap and I don't know how I stood it aesthetically. Consigned to the office it is!

Mmmm... shiny!

Those semi-commercial grade expresso machines are great. They are the best you can get before you pay $5K+ for a commercial one - which have to be plumbed in and they also heat up your house.

It seems the Rancilio Silvia is one of the best choices for under $1K though.

He had a shiny, tubey, gaugey one in stock: http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/giotto-premium-plus-coffee-machine.asp so I grabbed one.

Looks good! Is that a temperature gauge for the milk? I heard somewhere the optimal temperature is 70c

It seems the Rancilio Silvia is one of the best choices for under $1K though.

It has been good to me and for anyone living alone / with a few minutes between coffees it is an excellent machine, hence it moves to the office where I will sup upon its earthly delights happily.

The only downfall is when you want to make more than two or three coffees at once. Then it is pretty miserable fail.

Looks good! Is that a temperature gauge for the milk? I heard somewhere the optimal temperature is 70c

Gauge is for steam pressure. I go for 60 degree milk myself and normally drink my coffee cold anyhow (I get distracted easily). The girlfriend is in the 70 range though.

You should have asked her who brings home the (big) bacon. :)

You should have asked her who brings home the (big) bacon. :)

Saving money is almost as good as earning it. ;)

Talking about awesome (and expensive) appliances. The missus and I bought a Vitamix blender. I’d always subscribed to the idea that a blender is a blender. However I’m now an official Vitamix fanboi. It can make hot (organic) soup from cold ingredients in about 5 minutes. shocking.gif And to clean it up is a doddle, hmm still hungry (left over soup is for lunch the next day) so I make up a (organic) sorbet in my new favourite appliance thumbsup.gif

After that it’d be my breville Juice fountain. That gets a serious workout at my place but it’s also reasonably priced so that’s a huge plus. Easy(ish) to clean and easy to use. If you have organic or wax free lemons you don’t even need to peel them before feeding them into the juicer. And boy, are there some delicious recipes out there nowadays. Num num num thumbup.gif Some yuck ones as well if you only think you know what you are doing and you go off recipe blush.gif

Saving money is almost as good as earning it. ;)

Talking about awesome (and expensive) appliances. The missus and I bought a Vitamix blender. I’d always subscribed to the idea that a blender is a blender. However I’m now an official Vitamix fanboi. It can make hot (organic) soup from cold ingredients in about 5 minutes. shocking.gif And to clean it up is a doddle, hmm still hungry (left over soup is for lunch the next day) so I make up a (organic) sorbet in my new favourite appliance thumbsup.gif

After that it’d be my breville Juice fountain. That gets a serious workout at my place but it’s also reasonably priced so that’s a huge plus. Easy(ish) to clean and easy to use. If you have organic or wax free lemons you don’t even need to peel them before feeding them into the juicer. And boy, are there some delicious recipes out there nowadays. Num num num thumbup.gif Some yuck ones as well if you only think you know what you are doing and you go off recipe blush.gif

Some friends bought a vitamix last week and were raving about it. Uses friction to heat up soup. And add ice to make sorbet/ice cream. Most blenders crap out when crushing ice over a period of time. It's got a big motor so maybe it'll last longer. I'll check with them in 12 months and if it's still working I'll think about buying one. Good for gazpacho. :)

He had a shiny, tubey, gaugey one in stock: http://www.bellabari...fee-machine.asp so I grabbed one.

Jesus, that thing looks like you need a degree to work it! I still struggle with the plunger.

i would have just got the local coffee van to stop by twice a day.

Jesus, that thing looks like you need a degree to work it! I still struggle with the plunger.

i would have just got the local coffee van to stop by twice a day.

Plunger coffee makes baby jesus cry.

The comments are good. I can see them in an immaculate stainless steel kitchen that is never used for anything more than reheating beans.

I love this knife set, as I have medical condition where my handgrip size changes in relation to the Fibonacci series.

With most chef's knives, I've always used the knuckles on my opposing hand to guide the blade, producing straight, even and safe cuts. But the hollow space in the Deglon chef's knife has been revelatory, allowing my knuckles, and occasionally my fingers, to merge and become one with the blade. Now rather than subjecting the knife to the narrow constraints of my rote technique, the blade is free to cut where it feels it should go. Instead of a boring uniform julienne, every piece of cut food is like a snowflake, unique in shape and size. Cooking used to be about the end product, but now I just spend hours slicing, dicing and mincing, sometimes all three at the same time.

The nesting design is also eminently practical and space efficient. I highly recommend it to anyone who cannot afford sufficient storage space in their kitchen because they spent $1,000 on 4 knives.

Utterly elegantly useless.

Those smooth handles get greasy, and next thing you know you are at the ER.

BTW I thought the fibonacci comment was both witty and pertinent, but it fell totally flat with the local resident mathematician.

Utterly elegantly useless.

Those smooth handles get greasy, and next thing you know you are at the ER.

BTW I thought the fibonacci comment was both witty and pertinent, but it fell totally flat with the local resident mathematician.

bah mathematicians, all they do is work out stuff that engineers can then approximate :)