tor

Appliances

95 posts in this topic

Ruffians comment about a brand of appliances got me thinking.

Some appliances / utensils look great in the ads.

Sometimes they are great, sometimes they suck royally and sometimes they have a genius which is cool but useless.

In the category of meeting the ads expectation (and in this case being one of the coolest ads I have seen):

Product: Global Knives

Ad: Magazines, tagline "Looks sharp. Is."

Results: They are damn sharp and easy to sharpen. Nice balance for me, I especially like this one. Pretty cheap and I find it is my go-to knife for most stuff

Cool Genius but pointless:

Product: Anything by Dyson

Ad: Magazine, tagline is always engineering oriented

Results: Every product is cool from an engineering perspective. The air blade for drying hands, the fan with no blades, the vacuum cleaner with cyclonic doo-dads. But they solve a problem you don't have. I have a better fan which has blades, sure there is some turbulence from the blade but this is not something I consider a big problem and it makes more air move in a cooling direction, the grill keeps the birds out. I have one of his vacuum cleaners which is bagless but I have another bagless without cyclonic power which is far superior in terms of actually vacuuming stuff up.

Ruffians comment about a brand of appliances got me thinking.

Some appliances / utensils look great in the ads.

Sometimes they are great, sometimes they suck royally and sometimes they have a genius which is cool but useless.

In the category of meeting the ads expectation (and in this case being one of the coolest ads I have seen):

Product: Global Knives

Ad: Magazines, tagline "Looks sharp. Is."

Results: They are damn sharp and easy to sharpen. Nice balance for me, I especially like this one. Pretty cheap and I find it is my go-to knife for most stuff

Cool Genius but pointless:

Product: Anything by Dyson

Ad: Magazine, tagline is always engineering oriented

Results: Every product is cool from an engineering perspective. The air blade for drying hands, the fan with no blades, the vacuum cleaner with cyclonic doo-dads. But they solve a problem you don't have. I have a better fan which has blades, sure there is some turbulence from the blade but this is not something I consider a big problem and it makes more air move in a cooling direction, the grill keeps the birds out. I have one of his vacuum cleaners which is bagless but I have another bagless without cyclonic power which is far superior in terms of actually vacuuming stuff up.

there's a vacuum that's better than dyson?

Wertheim. Granted I have to help when it is to be carried large distances. It has power heads which beat carpet like a legion of ex cons with baseball bats. Loose carpets have to be held down. Admittedly cost twice the dyson, about 1K. I do have someone that takes cleaning seriously though and she swears by it.

Traditionally Germans used to roll up their carpets in the winter, take them outside, roll them out on the fresh snow and beat them with a 'Teppichklopfer'. It is a quite healthy exercise for working off that frustration of being holed up in an apartment. In the summer you throw the carpet over a washing line post or children's playground post. You held the carpet in place in midair with one hand and swung the Teppichklopfer with the other hand. You had to make sure to take the wind into account or you would be covered in dust and dirt.

http://de.wikipedia..../Teppichklopfer

Edited by sydney3000

Traditionally Germans used to roll up their carpets in the winter, take them outside, roll them out on the fresh snow and beat them with a 'Teppichklopfer'. It is a quite healthy exercise for working off that frustration of being holed up in an apartment. In the summer you throw the carpet over a washing line post or children's playground post. You held the carpet in place in midair with one hand and swung the Teppichklopfer with the other hand. You had to make sure to take the wind into account or you would be covered in dust and dirt.

http://de.wikipedia..../Teppichklopfer

Ummm I am a fan of doing some things the long way but that looks like it would not be chosen :)

Panasonic Viera TV

iphone :wub: (can't help myself)

Cuisinart food processor

Fisher and Paykel is an odd brand - they work well, but lots of non-mission critical (misson non-critial?!) bits snap off. This has happened to both a washer and fridge we bought a few years ago. Doesn't seem to have affected performance too much, but I don't expect either to last a decade. And while it isn't a brag brand, it isn't exactly el cheapo, either.

God knows what my favourite knife is - I got it in the US years ago and it is utterly unmarked, by either time or it's maker. I remember paying a bit for it (even on sale), and it was worth every penny - I'd get two more like it if I could, but I don't think there is any way of working out where it came from.

BTW does anyone have a recommendation for a dishwasher? Mine has packed it in, I need another soon, and none of them look that great to me, to be honest.

God knows what my favourite knife is - I got it in the US years ago and it is utterly unmarked, by either time or it's maker...

Got a pic?

BTW does anyone have a recommendation for a dishwasher? Mine has packed it in, I need another soon, and none of them look that great to me, to be honest.

Nope but I need a new one too. I think domestic dishwashers seem to just be a sh*tty appliance in general. Commercially I have only really been involved with glass washers but they never broke. Have been considering going commercial so I can get a decent warranty or buying something I just expect to replace after 3 years. The girlfriend has been doing research though, I think she has given up on the idea of a quality one the way other appliances can be quality but I'll check.

Kenwood chef - old ones preferably. You can't get parts easily now but mine has lasted twenty years and apart from a brief time 10 years ago when smoke was coming out of it (it recovered) it has served faithfully. It it ever breaks down I might but a Kitchenaid mixer. They look like mini versions of the giant "hobart" mixers I've used in the past.

post-106-076396400 1288948759_thumb.jpg

Teppich (carpet) klopfer (knocker). We anglos call them carpet beaters and they look identical. :)

Miele "Cat n Dog" with turbo head vacuum cleaner is better than the dyson models IMO. Nearly bought a Dyson but the Miele was better value for money and I reckon bags are still easier to deal with. I've had the Miele now for two years without a problem. I've friends who own Dysons who have had problems with them.

I also have a 12 year old Werthiem which still works but I cannot get a replacement corrugated hose to suit. Motor and everything else in the Werthiem still works and the tools for the Werthiem also fit the Miele, which is handy.

I think Dyson are on a winner with the air blade though. Noisy as they are, they do a fine job of drying hands. Those old press button receive bacon hand dryers should all be replaced IMO (just need better noise insulation at the bathroom entrances when using those Dyson air blades.

Edited by tux

Just got a Samsung Galaxy S smart phone a few weeks back.

It does most things better than the Apple iPhone with only two exceptions, GPS hardly works and the Samsung does not have a flash for its camera. Apple iPhone GPS is superior in testing I have done thus far with both iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4.

The good points of the Samsung Galaxy are:

* User replaceable battery

* Standard sized SIM card

* Larger screen than any iPhone

* Lighter than any iPhone (comfortable in your pocket because pocket doesn't sag as much)

* Ergonomic, can operate the device with one hand with relative ease

* Supports contact groups

* No need for iTunes to get the phone working from out of the box

* No need for iTunes to transfer files to it (it works like any USB storage, just drag n drop).

* Expandable memory to 48Gb (comes standard with 16Gb)

* Wireless tethering

* A back button so that you can go one step back when navigating any application

* Desktop gadgets and more customiseable desktop

* Excellent user interface for keystrokes (you don't actually have to type, you just slide your finger around).

* Better browser UI (you can hide the address bar, status bar etc and read a webpage in full screen mode) Anybody know how to do this on an iPhone? I am assuming iPhone's browser cannot achieve full screen mode without any decorations or controls visible.

* Better support for Flash based websites as there is a flash player plug in. (iPhone does not support Flash)

I have one criticism of Android based phones in general and that is the purchasing model for apps is not as easy experience as it is for iPhone users.

I'm still trying to apply various Hacks to improve the GPS on the Samsung Galaxy.

Edited by tux

I love the Dyson airblade for drying hands, I think they work so much better than any other type of air dryer that they should be standard fitment.

Kitchen stuff, I think my blending stick would have to be the most used gadget I've bought. I also really like my Le Creuset enamelled cast iron French Oven. Nice even heat distribution from the heavy construction, so it works well, and because it's so solidly made, it will last a lifetime.

I like my $9 Kmart Toaster and my $39 Kmart microwave. And my $30 nonsense brand slow cooker. And my second hand $50 1980s fridge that is so cold it puts ice in my beer.

Wertheim. Granted I have to help when it is to be carried large distances. It has power heads which beat carpet like a legion of ex cons with baseball bats. Loose carpets have to be held down. Admittedly cost twice the dyson, about 1K. I do have someone that takes cleaning seriously though and she swears by it.

if it comes with a hepa filter and in a cool colour i'm sold

LG?

my parents and i have them. there's is many years old without any trouble (but they're the sort that almost wash the dishes before theu put them in).

ours is only 2 years old, no problems and we're the sort who barely scrap the plates.

ours has an amazing array of wash choices but the standard one seems to the job just fine.

You may wish to check out ASKO.

You may wish to check out ASKO.

Yes, it seems to be coming down to either asko or bosch. Lower end of the range to avoid excessive gadgetry, which seems to fail more often than is ideal. At least that is the opinion of a couple of dishwasher repair people I have spoken to, and I'd figure they would know.

Industrial equipment is just that - industrial, over-kill for a family house.

But domestic whitegoods are kinda on the wimpy side...

Kenwood chef - old ones preferably. You can't get parts easily now but mine has lasted twenty years and apart from a brief time 10 years ago when smoke was coming out of it (it recovered) it has served faithfully. It it ever breaks down I might but a Kitchenaid mixer. They look like mini versions of the giant "hobart" mixers I've used in the past.

+1

Noisy but virtually indestructible. (If they are getting extra noisy just fill 'em up with sewing machine oil (light grade) and away they go.)

Not as keen on kitchenaid but I have never actually owned one so I'm not really qualified to comment.

LG?

my parents and i have them. there's is many years old without any trouble (but they're the sort that almost wash the dishes before theu put them in).

ours is only 2 years old, no problems and we're the sort who barely scrap the plates.

ours has an amazing array of wash choices but the standard one seems to the job just fine.

LG, Lucky Goldstar. Remember Goldstar, synonymous with budget quality small appliances throughout the 70s and 80s. Rebranded themselves as LG to revive the brand and distance it from the stigma of "cheap and cheerful".

Some people I know in the electronic goods repair industry prefer to think that LG might be an acronym for "Lousy Goods".

LG have been the only brand of LCD screens that I have experienced stuck and dead pixels, and unfortunately not been honoured by LG warranty.

I've never had stuck or dead pixels on other brands of LCD screens. From this experience, I would doubt I'd buy another LG product again. They are embargoed in areas of my purchasing influence along with Dell.

+1

Noisy but virtually indestructible. (If they are getting extra noisy just fill 'em up with sewing machine oil (light grade) and away they go.)

Not as keen on kitchenaid but I have never actually owned one so I'm not really qualified to comment.

Have had one of each. The kenwood had a nasty habit of slight ozone smells. The kitchenaid is purty. Have to admit that neither got a serious workout though.

The kenwood had a nasty habit of slight ozone smells.

I had forgotten all about that kenwood smell!

Brings back the memories of long, long, hot summers in the kitchen 'putting things by' for the rest of the year.

Ah, nostalgia, it makes even slave labour look good from a sufficient distance.

useless - bread makers

really? i use mine all the time. primarily for the kneading though. i don't have a mixer and it does a good job kneading. on the dough setting it keeps the temperature up enough to promote rising (though i almost always do slow rises in the fridge so that's not really an issue).

as far as making bread though... well you end up with a very thick bottom crust (too close to heating element) but other than that it's not bad if you don't feel up to putting the time/labour into making a proper loaf of bread. still heaps better than what you get in a supermarket. mine is only a $69 aldi job, perhaps others make better bread but i kind of doubt it--the technology is pretty simple...

really? i use mine all the time. primarily for the kneading though. i don't have a mixer and it does a good job kneading. on the dough setting it keeps the temperature up enough to promote rising (though i almost always do slow rises in the fridge so that's not really an issue).

as far as making bread though... well you end up with a very thick bottom crust (too close to heating element) but other than that it's not bad if you don't feel up to putting the time/labour into making a proper loaf of bread. still heaps better than what you get in a supermarket. mine is only a $69 aldi job, perhaps others make better bread but i kind of doubt it--the technology is pretty simple...

That is interesting to hear from someone that actually makes bread.

I eat bread infrequently and the girlfriend has a couple slices a day and have often thought it might be a handy thing to have a way of making like a half loaf. So many people have said they are crap or have obviously stopped using them after the first month that I have never bought one though.