tor

Kitchens are food related right?

57 posts in this topic

Cop out!

Tor seems to have been blessed with a GF who loves the clean, and so I'd bet my bottom dollar the laundry is plenty clean enough for most kitchen purposes. Most other kitchen needs can be sorted out with a jug for the clean water and a bucket or big bowl for the not-clean water.

Take away isn't as appealing as you think it will be, any how. I recently returned from a holiday where most of the family wanted takeaway every night, and it gets downright queasy-making after the second or third night in a row. It is (assuming it is of a decent standard) tasty enough but doesn't have enough veggies etc, as well as the general tendency to too much fat/salt etc. Except maybe sushi. I do love the sushi.

Well I am pretty lazy. If I'm going to cook I like it being as easy as possible. Cooking in a bucket is like camping. I HATE CAMPING!

Just kidding - I like camping but usually only for short periods. I freeze meals in blocks (to keep the wine cold in the esky) and only have to heat through on the fire. So there's a handy hint if you want to save on the restaurant bills. If you know you're going to be without a kitchen you can precook, freeze then reheat meals while the kitchen is being completed... But I'd still rather go out for dinner to restaurants/get take away. :)

Tonight is the first meal cooked in the kitchen. Where "cooked" means more than half an hour of doing stuff. Admittedly cooked using a camping gas stove and water in buckets or the bathroom. But I have a bench again.

Hopefully this week will see the completion of phase one where we have a functional kitchen again.

Without the egg I think I would have gone insane over the past few weeks. Noodle Soup is fine a few nights as is takeaway. Restaurants have been disappointing. Smoking a couple of chickens and making salads got me through. I even really enjoyed a pasta bake with smoked chicken because it felt like actual food. And it was a pretty crap pasta bake :)

I have (optimistically) put lots of stuff on the benches and squinted and the kitchen looks good.

I have also found that a combination microwave and convection oven exists. It is something I just assumed would exist and it does. Anyone have one? Opinions?

I have also found that a combination microwave and convection oven exists. It is something I just assumed would exist and it does. Anyone have one? Opinions?

when we moved into our current place it didn't have an oven so the landlord bought us one of the convection/microwave thingies. (panasonic) it's good. it does what it should do and it does it reasonably well. what i don't like about it is that a cooling fan comes on as soon as you turn it off and doesn't stop till it reaches whatever temperature it is set at. so if you want to just turn the oven off and let whatever is inside keep warm via residual heat you can't. the other downside is that it jumps from 40 degrees to 100 degrees--there's nothing in between.

other than that it's good--the smaller counterspace footprint is quite nice.

Tonight is the first meal cooked in the kitchen. Where "cooked" means more than half an hour of doing stuff. Admittedly cooked using a camping gas stove and water in buckets or the bathroom. But I have a bench again.

Hopefully this week will see the completion of phase one where we have a functional kitchen again.

Without the egg I think I would have gone insane over the past few weeks. Noodle Soup is fine a few nights as is takeaway. Restaurants have been disappointing. Smoking a couple of chickens and making salads got me through. I even really enjoyed a pasta bake with smoked chicken because it felt like actual food. And it was a pretty crap pasta bake :)

I have (optimistically) put lots of stuff on the benches and squinted and the kitchen looks good.

we want pictures!

when we moved into our current place it didn't have an oven so the landlord bought us one of the convection/microwave thingies. (panasonic) it's good. it does what it should do and it does it reasonably well. what i don't like about it is that a cooling fan comes on as soon as you turn it off and doesn't stop till it reaches whatever temperature it is set at. so if you want to just turn the oven off and let whatever is inside keep warm via residual heat you can't. the other downside is that it jumps from 40 degrees to 100 degrees--there's nothing in between.

other than that it's good--the smaller counterspace footprint is quite nice.

Cheers, am just thinking of consolidating the current bench top thingy and microwave into one. Fan shouldn't be an issue for me.

we want pictures!

Soon my friend, soon. I get the tap in and working and I will flood you with pics. At the moment it is too close to reality and pictures feel like temptation to the gods.

Soon my friend, soon. I get the tap in and working and I will flood you with pics. At the moment it is too close to reality and pictures feel like temptation to the gods.

ok. thought it was completed. you must have added at least 200k to the value of the place. time to suck that equity out and buy your 13th IP.

ok. thought it was completed. you must have added at least 200k to the value of the place. time to suck that equity out and buy your 13th IP.

Ahhh well I obviously tempted the gods.

How many 5 metre rooms can you fit into a block 35m long[1]?

Apply same logic to stove top items. Going to have to get a site inspection and draw up a rectification plan.

[1] The answer is not 7 unless you have walls which are of zero thickness. Admittedly the designer didn't quite f*ck it up that badly but it is close enough.

The MIL wants a kitchen with those pot drawers

From experience, the 3-drawer ones are too shallow to fit many pots/tupperware/etc. The 2-drawer type work much better.

Ahhh well I obviously tempted the gods.

How many 5 metre rooms can you fit into a block 35m long[1]?

Apply same logic to stove top items. Going to have to get a site inspection and draw up a rectification plan.

[1] The answer is not 7 unless you have walls which are of zero thickness. Admittedly the designer didn't quite f*ck it up that badly but it is close enough.

Oh Lord. But I guess it has to happen with every reno.

Just make sure you are totally happy with the final rectification/result, otherwise the irregularity will catch your eye forever. Or maybe that's just me?

But either way, someone who made an initial mistake is more than capable of a subsequent one, and near enough really isn't good enough, so watch them like a hawk.

A friend of mine has just discovered that their eco-friendly house extension has been designed without lintels(!) and to put them in now (absolutely essential) will reduce window and door sizes, throwing out the sunlight access to the flooring and rendering their carefully designed passive solar heating significantly less useful. Not impressive on a job which cost $20k on plans alone.

Oh Lord. But I guess it has to happen with every reno.

Just make sure you are totally happy with the final rectification/result, otherwise the irregularity will catch your eye forever. Or maybe that's just me?

But either way, someone who made an initial mistake is more than capable of a subsequent one, and near enough really isn't good enough, so watch them like a hawk.

A friend of mine has just discovered that their eco-friendly house extension has been designed without lintels(!) and to put them in now (absolutely essential) will reduce window and door sizes, throwing out the sunlight access to the flooring and rendering their carefully designed passive solar heating significantly less useful. Not impressive on a job which cost $20k on plans alone.

Nah I am like that too.

The builder has been great, he checks stuff for me and points out everything I miss as well as telling me stuff which will look bad. Finding him has probably been the best thing about the whole thing. Gonna get him to build my brewery and my cinema.

Oh well, Most of the tiles are in and I have a working sink again. Kitcheners appear to be bending over backwards to get everything fixed. Maybe all done in another week or two :)

Last night was first roast done in the kitchen, gas cook tops and extractor fan not done but everything is.

I gotta say induction is weird to cook with. Impressive but weird. You can see the magnets spinning in the gravy! It goes round in circles.

Do some pics soon.

Oh I got the timings all wrong with the roast and also watched the stock reducing on the induction top for too long so ended up with a rather too salty gravy but it was fun.

So the kitchen is done and I am getting used to all the new gizmos and such and such. My feelings so far:

Induction is the bomb! I got a miele 2 zone induction cook top. No good for stir frying (but we all know I suck at that anyway) but incredible heat transfer (for my pots that work on it). I have yet to do a direct competition between gas and induction but it seems to heat stuff up way faster. The change in temperature is so fast as well. Also pot handles get nowhere near as hot, I haven't burned myself once yet :)

I also got some miele gas tops, 1 small, 1 med and a wok one. One thing which I have found to be awesome is when the gas is way low and goes out it automatically relights. Magic I tells ya. They output significantly higher heat than my old gas top as well. So far I have almost ruined a wok and a fry pan just from my habit of pre heating them a bit before use. The wok actually got so hot that the oil burst into flame without a spark.

The tap I originally got was a massive bloody thing which looked good in the showroom surrounded by other massive things . When it turned up and was in isolation it did look a bit silly. About 90cm tall. Fortunately the sales guy screwed up and sold me a tap which wouldn't work with the sink he sold me so I swapped it out for a smaller one, about 60 cm tall . It has a nozzle you can pull out like a hose. Loving that. Had to piss about with the aerator to get it to flow the way I wanted but it is now one of the things that makes me happy.

I switched the overhead exhaust fan for one that rises up out of the bench, . To be perfectly honest it is only about as good as the overhead one at grabbing the fumes and smoke and stuff. Pretty good but not industrial quality. It does have the advantage of not being at head height though which makes cooking a lot more comfortable. I'm not super tall (5'10") but was told that without going quite a bit bigger and louder an overhead couldn't really be much higher and still work so I think it has worked out well.

I have always had a microwave and one of those benchtop ovens (as well as a real oven). The benchtop oven is good for when you just need to cook something small or have something at a different temp to the main oven. Once the overhead cupboards were gone the benchtop looked kind of stupid. I told the girlfriend to grab a combo convection oven and microwave. She went off and got one. I didn't know they existed I just kind of assumed they should, she assumed I knew what I was talking about and so didn't question the idea, ahhh the folly of youth :) So we grabbed a SolarDom. Am still getting the hang of it but it is effectively a grill, microwave and convection oven all in one. It can be used with both convection and microwave at the same time. I have a feeling this will be a handy feature. Comes with a recipe book which has a bunch of recipes to get the basic idea across. Have used it as convection or microwave and it does both of them properly which is all I hoped for, the combo thing is just a cool idea at the moment for me.

I took ruffians idea regarding "light it up to nuclear levels" and installed 4 halogens into the bit where the old extractor hood was. It is directly over the cook top and has power already so it made sense. The builder came up with the idea of having the lights on a remote control rather than a switch (having a switch was going to be a right royal PITA). He grabbed these which are great. Makes the multiple lighting systems quite manageable, don't have to run all over the place setting the lights you want.

They output significantly higher heat than my old gas top as well...

:drool:

Oh for a gas range with a bit of grunt behind it... sigh

So the kitchen is done and I am getting used to all the new gizmos and such and such. My feelings so far:

Induction is the bomb! I got a miele 2 zone induction cook top. No good for stir frying (but we all know I suck at that anyway) but incredible heat transfer (for my pots that work on it). I have yet to do a direct competition between gas and induction but it seems to heat stuff up way faster. The change in temperature is so fast as well. Also pot handles get nowhere near as hot, I haven't burned myself once yet :)

When I was teaching junior science we had these devices that would heat up an egg ring via induction. Except if you had cut it to break the circuit. I would hold the cut one in the magnetic field and then swap it out for a complete one when I would call the most troublesome student up to see if they could beat my record. I miss the screaming...

Edited by staringclown

I also got some miele gas tops, 1 small, 1 med and a wok one. One thing which I have found to be awesome is when the gas is way low and goes out it automatically relights. Magic I tells ya. They output significantly higher heat than my old gas top as well. So far I have almost ruined a wok and a fry pan just from my habit of pre heating them a bit before use. The wok actually got so hot that the oil burst into flame without a spark.

The tap I originally got was a massive bloody thing which looked good in the showroom surrounded by other massive things . When it turned up and was in isolation it did look a bit silly. About 90cm tall. Fortunately the sales guy screwed up and sold me a tap which wouldn't work with the sink he sold me so I swapped it out for a smaller one, about 60 cm tall . It has a nozzle you can pull out like a hose. Loving that. Had to piss about with the aerator to get it to flow the way I wanted but it is now one of the things that makes me happy.

I switched the overhead exhaust fan for one that rises up out of the bench, . To be perfectly honest it is only about as good as the overhead one at grabbing the fumes and smoke and stuff. Pretty good but not industrial quality. It does have the advantage of not being at head height though which makes cooking a lot more comfortable. I'm not super tall (5'10") but was told that without going quite a bit bigger and louder an overhead couldn't really be much higher and still work so I think it has worked out well.

I have always had a microwave and one of those benchtop ovens (as well as a real oven). The benchtop oven is good for when you just need to cook something small or have something at a different temp to the main oven. Once the overhead cupboards were gone the benchtop looked kind of stupid. I told the girlfriend to grab a combo convection oven and microwave. She went off and got one. I didn't know they existed I just kind of assumed they should, she assumed I knew what I was talking about and so didn't question the idea, ahhh the folly of youth :) So we grabbed a SolarDom. Am still getting the hang of it but it is effectively a grill, microwave and convection oven all in one. It can be used with both convection and microwave at the same time. I have a feeling this will be a handy feature. Comes with a recipe book which has a bunch of recipes to get the basic idea across. Have used it as convection or microwave and it does both of them properly which is all I hoped for, the combo thing is just a cool idea at the moment for me.

I took ruffians idea regarding "light it up to nuclear levels" and installed 4 halogens into the bit where the old extractor hood was. It is directly over the cook top and has power already so it made sense. The builder came up with the idea of having the lights on a remote control rather than a switch (having a switch was going to be a right royal PITA). He grabbed these which are great. Makes the multiple lighting systems quite manageable, don't have to run all over the place setting the lights you want.

After reading the full post - you now have a bespoke kitchen. Photos? You do realise this just raises the bar? I expect to see some good sh*t emanating from your kitchen. Actually, my landlord endowed me last year with a new oven when the older one blowed up. It sh*t but it is new. You lucky, lucky bastard.

When I was teaching junior science we had these devices that would heat up an egg ring via induction. Except if you had cut it to break the circuit. I would hold the cut one in the magnetic field and then swap it out for a complete one when I would call the most troublesome student up to see if they could beat my record. I miss the screaming...

Oh nice. That's teaching I support, you know those kids remember the theory now!

After reading the full post - you now have a bespoke kitchen. Photos? You do realise this just raises the bar? I expect to see some good sh*t emanating from your kitchen. Actually, my landlord endowed me last year with a new oven when the older one blowed up. It sh*t but it is new. You lucky, lucky bastard.

I wish that ovens were standard sizes and you just took them with you in rentals the same as washing machines.

I wish that ovens were standard sizes and you just took them with you in rentals the same as washing machines.

Ovens are generally on a different circuit so they are usually hardwired in.

Granted that is no reason that your idea can't work but additionally I think the rental laws are kind of geared towards minimal functionality so you get shelter and a means of making food when you get a rental.

Oh nice. That's teaching I support, you know those kids remember the theory now!

Burned into their psyche so to speak... You should have seen my lessons on PH. It's why I'm in IT today and not teaching.

Well bespoke to a certain extent. I am pretty sure most of it is fairly standard stuff[1] which I just got to pick and choose from.

I was hassling for photos today but I am not allowed photos until it is cleaned up properly and a few other projects have just finished up so the cleaning is not quite complete. I will get some soon I am assured.

Got a dinner party coming up (girlfriends mum and brother have a birthday) so some interesting food will be coming out. It is all going to be served in my tagines I use for testing food ideas. So far none of the food is Moroccan hehehe.

[1] Unlike the cladding of the side of the house which used to be a hole. That had to be done with custom sawn cedar because they changed the board size a few years back and then one of the builders was out there hand carving the planks to meet the existing ones so they blended in and another builder carving the other bits to make a door which is unobtrusive through it. Now that was bespoke. I have a feeling it is going to cost me as when they were doing clean up they were collecting all the cedar offcuts and storing them under the house. If it was cheap arse wood I suspect they would have thrown it. Gotta say it makes a world of difference to the place though, no more ugly gap to the under side of the house as the first thing you see when you come home.

Well bespoke to a certain extent. I am pretty sure most of it is fairly standard stuff[1] which I just got to pick and choose from.

I was hassling for photos today but I am not allowed photos until it is cleaned up properly and a few other projects have just finished up so the cleaning is not quite complete. I will get some soon I am assured.

Got a dinner party coming up (girlfriends mum and brother have a birthday) so some interesting food will be coming out. It is all going to be served in my tagines I use for testing food ideas. So far none of the food is Moroccan hehehe.

[1] Unlike the cladding of the side of the house which used to be a hole. That had to be done with custom sawn cedar because they changed the board size a few years back and then one of the builders was out there hand carving the planks to meet the existing ones so they blended in and another builder carving the other bits to make a door which is unobtrusive through it. Now that was bespoke. I have a feeling it is going to cost me as when they were doing clean up they were collecting all the cedar offcuts and storing them under the house. If it was cheap arse wood I suspect they would have thrown it. Gotta say it makes a world of difference to the place though, no more ugly gap to the under side of the house as the first thing you see when you come home.

I haven't had a dinner party for ages. What are you thinking of doing?

How do tagines work with induction? Or are you baking?

1] Unlike the cladding of the side of the house which used to be a hole. That had to be done with custom sawn cedar because they changed the board size a few years back and then one of the builders was out there hand carving the planks to meet the existing ones so they blended in and another builder carving the other bits to make a door which is unobtrusive through it. Now that was bespoke. I have a feeling it is going to cost me as when they were doing clean up they were collecting all the cedar offcuts and storing them under the house. If it was cheap arse wood I suspect they would have thrown it. Gotta say it makes a world of difference to the place though, no more ugly gap to the under side of the house as the first thing you see when you come home.

Nice. One of the reasons I would like my own joint is customisation. Oh the plans I have. Bet they're limited by budget. Cedar wood even sounds expensive.

It's a good idea. You would need standard plugins for gas. Electricity shouldn't be a problem. I have a big fridge so we have to bear that in mind when renting. Always check the space. Hasn't been a problem ever. They could make the oven modular i think. Save the landlord too. Why hasn't it happened yet?

How do tagines work with induction? Or are you baking?

Anything you can glom a magnet to works for induction. In this case nothing is induction specific though.

Nice. One of the reasons I would like my own joint is customisation. Oh the plans I have. Bet they're limited by budget. Cedar wood even sounds expensive.

Yeah I get that feeling this one is a little expensive. The builder has also pointed out that a PVC pipe would suffice rather than an aqueduct but I pointed out I can see it and I would rather see an aqueduct than a pvc pipe and in 50 years I will be happy I choose the thing that looks good. When I do the brewery I think the sticker price might actually be something I have to talk about first as I want hermetically sealed temperature and humidity controlled. I suspect that might be where I find the difference between earning a decent chunk of cash and actually being rich :)

I haven't had a dinner party for ages. What are you thinking of doing?

The menu as it stands (I can't even blame this on drunkenness having been sober for two weeks now):

On entry each guest gets a medium size tagine with a vietnamese fresh spring roll and a few slices of rolled crab omelette in a tagine which is about 3cm deep and 10cm across. This is their dish for the night (less dishwashing). They also get a teeny weeny tagine maybe 1cm in depth and 3 across with a dipping sauce for the spring roll. Each set comes with a spoon and a poky thing.

Then I have mushrooms in tomato goop with bread. (mushrooms a la greque is what Stephanie calls it, basically mushrooms boiled in a bit of tomato with some thyme and fiddle faddle, easy to make the day before, nice at room temp). They can grab spoonfuls from the big old bowl and dump it in their relatively clean tagine. The bread is still a subject of discussion and we may have two different breads, I love the bakers delight olive pull apart or some nasty sourdough for wiping up the juices of this one. By this time they ought to have all ditched the lids to the tagines and so they can just dump the bread on the side of basically a flat dish which is not cardboard.

The idea being everyone arrives at different times, they get some spring roll dealy to shut them up then the mushrooms to haul the bastards into a vague semblance of order.

At that point usually everyone wanders off and talks bollocks. I sneakily grab my:

• Fried rice (not fancy fancy, just fried because it keeps better at low heat, bit of veges and soy is all)

• Chicken & Corn balls, these happen to go well with the same dipping sauce for the spring rolls.
  • Chicken drumsticks done in an african peanut sauce thing (I am sure it has a name but I accidentally came up with it trying to emulate a korean dish)
  • Pork Belly with sticky sauce

Load the lot into a variety of tagines I have and whack 'em out for general buffet silliness, slightly subdues silliness because the tagine is too small to do stupid overloading.

I think I have got it all down to stuff which I can do at least 6 hrs ahead of time. A few things haven't been tested (keeping individual spring rolls fresh with a bit of damp kitchen paper for example) and I will rpobably test this weekend.

With any luck the one kid that is coming and I can just grab a load of chicken and run downstairs and playstation our arses off while the grownups bitch about family issues and so on. I was actually thinking of doing a secret spicy wings for him and I. Screw this fancy stuff with tedious company, I want something to scarf while I beat the bejesus out of a 10 yr old at Tekken. If he doesn't like blue cheese garlicy dressing he can can talk to his mum :)