zaph

Zaph's real estate adventures

262 posts in this topic

Encouraging better English cannot be a racist thing.

Otherwise, if I were to comment on your incorrect use of future subjunctive, then I would be guilty of racism too! tongue.gif

Touché! :D *

*But everybody hates a grammarian Anders

*But everybody hates a grammarian Anders

Indeed! That is why I was only speaking hypothetically. I mean, who wants to be a painful pedant?*

There seems to be this law of internet, that whenever you poke fun at someone else's grammar, you invariably end up making such mistakes yourself.

Anyway... English is such a crazy language:

http://pauillac.inri...nunciation.html

And who can forget this classic:

*OK, ok, ok... guilty as charged more often than socially appropriate!

Edited by AndersB

Indeed! That is why I was only speaking hypothetically. I mean, who wants to be a painful pedant?*

There seems to be this law of internet, that whenever you poke fun at someone else's grammar, you invariably end up making such mistakes yourself.

Anyway... English is such a crazy language:

http://pauillac.inri...nunciation.html

And who can forget this classic:

*OK, ok, ok... guilty as charged more often than socially appropriate!

Even our PM struggles.

For a while I thought she was referring to an american football game.

I propose the creation of a society for the perpetuation of anachronistic verbiage. After all, if you can not use language to exclude different social classes what is the point of it? :D

This one sold about a week after it's price reduction. waiting on onthehouse to update price.

of the six properties that have been on the market this year in the few streets around me that I've been tracking:

1.first 460k, then 419k+. sold. waiting on sales data

2.429k. main road.asking price about right if it wasn't on a main rd. on market for a month or so, then sold. waiting on onthehouse to update price.

3.419k. main road.asking price about right if it wasn't on a main rd. on market for a couple of months, then taken off market.

4.first 460k. reduced to 430k after a few months. been on the market since ~ October. still hoping.

5. first 579k reduced to 549k after a month. latest asking about right. left on market for a couple of months. now taken off market and up for rent, 650pw.

6.550k. overpriced by about 50k. sat on market for a couple of months. now taken off. from the pics and inspection by appointment, i suspect this has had a tenant the whole time

when i talk of over/under pricing I'm referring to comparable asking prices, not sold prices.

data updated.

2. sold for 410k the same as 1. comparable properties but 2. is on a main road.

This one sold about a week after it's price reduction. waiting on onthehouse to update price.

of the six properties that have been on the market this year in the few streets around me that I've been tracking:

1.first 460k, then 419k+. sold. waiting on sales data

2.429k. main road.asking price about right if it wasn't on a main rd. on market for a month or so, then sold. waiting on onthehouse to update price.

3.419k. main road.asking price about right if it wasn't on a main rd. on market for a couple of months, then taken off market.

4.first 460k. reduced to 430k after a few months. been on the market since ~ October. still hoping.

5. first 579k reduced to 549k after a month. latest asking about right. left on market for a couple of months. now taken off market and up for rent, 650pw.

6.550k. overpriced by about 50k. sat on market for a couple of months. now taken off. from the pics and inspection by appointment, i suspect this has had a tenant the whole time

when i talk of over/under pricing I'm referring to comparable asking prices, not sold prices.

3. has now been listed with an out of burb (but not out of town, a small agency a few suburbs away) for 375k.

4.0 - the for sale board out the front has gone, but it's still on REA.com as for sale, at the same price. Maybe just slow, or maybe some kids nicked it.

There is a lot of pent up supply in my burb, lots of sellers who have taken their places off the market with intention of re listing when things improve.

4.0 - the for sale board out the front has gone, but it's still on REA.com as for sale, at the same price. Maybe just slow, or maybe some kids nicked it.

There is a lot of pent up supply in my burb, lots of sellers who have taken their places off the market with intention of re listing when things improve.

Left empty or rented out?

3. has now been listed with an out of burb (but not out of town, a small agency a few suburbs away) for 375k.

six weeks on and this property has swapped agents, again. now listed for 370k+

Betcha the vendors are thinking "should've taken that first offer!" ...

drove past this and two other OFIs on Saturday - crowds were out, something I haven't seen in the area for a few years. judging by the flash cars a good chunk were investors.

drove past this and two other OFIs on Saturday - crowds were out, something I haven't seen in the area for a few years. judging by the flash cars a good chunk were investors.

Property 3 is now listed as under contract. will be interesting to see what it sells for in a few months time.

Property 3 is now listed as under contract. will be interesting to see what it sells for in a few months time.

keep it up... I do enjoy your anecdotal adventures

keep it up... I do enjoy your anecdotal adventures

thanks.

When I was looking to buy I tracked every house in the area, now I have purchased I just track the six or so streets around me that I drive past. From that comprehensive and scientific analysis I would say the market is moving, largely caused by vendors withdrawing property. I'd say there is pent up supply of property that will keep prices stable unless there is major change to demand. As potential vendors see property selling they will have another go at listing, dampening prices.

Left empty or rented out?

4.0 is now no longer on re.com.au and the board was never replaced. withdrawn.

edit - let's see if it get's re listed with another agent??

the owner/occupier is often in the front gardening. twice I've spotted her gardening when driving by and returned home so I can walk to the shops and bump into her and discuss her house. both time's she'd finished gardening by the time I walked past.

Edited by zaph

Still waiting on 3. to update on on the house.

new listing this week, what is it, number 7?

3 bed, 1 bath, 1 park. $440k. original condition - ie 70's kitchen and bathroom. over run messy garden. very poorly presented. currently tenanted at $345pw. Why does that plastic bottle in the lounge room, next to the ashtray, have a bit of garden hose sticking out of it's side?

Still waiting on 3. to update on on the house.

new listing this week, what is it, number 7?

3 bed, 1 bath, 1 park. $440k. original condition - ie 70's kitchen and bathroom. over run messy garden. very poorly presented. currently tenanted at $345pw. Why does that plastic bottle in the lounge room, next to the ashtray, have a bit of garden hose sticking out of it's side?

Thats 4% yield with anticipated capital losses. The owner must have one of those water bottle thingies as well. Fecking dreaming. :thumbdown:

How about $256,000? Thats 7% yield. Only a 42% haircut to fair value. :naughty:

new listing, number 8

485k 4bed, 1 bath, no parking (just driveway, looks like the single garage has been converted to probably the 4th bedroom). currently tenanted at 420pw.

now for the property features:

only one pic - of outside, knee high grass

main, 4 lane road

one house between you and the train line

these guys are dreaming. if it wasn't on a main road or next to a train line and it was renovated relatively recently, they should be asking about 450k.

new listing number 9

500k+. 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car(port) with roller door, 2 living areas. next to a small park.

only pics of outside and lounge room, so suspect kitchen and bathrooms are unrenovated. Well presented from the couple of pics.

last sold 2/2008 for 500k.

new listing number 9

500k+. 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car(port) with roller door, 2 living areas. next to a small park.

only pics of outside and lounge room, so suspect kitchen and bathrooms are unrenovated. Well presented from the couple of pics.

last sold 2/2008 for 500k.

Before living next to a park I'd have thought that bordering a park would be a positive thing. However it is most definitely not a desirable feature. From experience you could well get

• undesirables may hang out just over your fence at all hours
  • people playing in the park and generally that playing involves yelling
  • it's a great place for young teens like to hang out drinking
  • Personal trainers like to hold "boot" camps in public parks. This involves a lot of yelling

Just my experience nerd.gif

Before living next to a park I'd have thought that bordering a park would be a positive thing. However it is most definitely not a desirable feature. From experience you could well get

• undesirables may hang out just over your fence at all hours
  • people playing in the park and generally that playing involves yelling
  • it's a great place for young teens like to hang out drinking
  • Personal trainers like to hold "boot" camps in public parks. This involves a lot of yelling

Just my experience nerd.gif

All good points, thanks ET. do you think it would be a different experience next to a large park (ie because most of the yelling would be somewhere in the middle, away from the fence line)?

All good points, thanks ET. do you think it would be a different experience next to a large park (ie because most of the yelling would be somewhere in the middle, away from the fence line)?

I can say no because I do live next to a large park wink.gif

Edit to add - the park is 37,000 square metres

Edited by Easy Tiger

I can say no because I do live next to a large park wink.gif

Edit to add - the park is 37,000 square metres

Well if it's 37m wide and 1km long, it could be narrow enough for the kids to always be close to the fences :P.

Thanks for the input though. Would you say living a street or two away from a park would be better, or still noisy?

Edited by Peachy

property #10 just listed.

3 bed, 1 bath, 1 garage, 1 carport. well presented. renovated ~10 years ago - not ugly but not ultra new looking.

offers from 419k. interestingly listed with an agent from the other side of town.

no movement on any of the other properties.