zaph

Zaph's real estate adventures

350 posts in this topic

Just sold the house in Sydney, we don't need it. Back when I bought it I wrote a small function for what the return I wanted was back when I bought it and chucked that in my financial DB for annual true up of financial situation. We sold it for the value the function said and it was what the RE guy said was the guidance value.

(sold it privately because the private person got in before the RE contract became valid)

On 09/10/2019 at 6:52 AM, Mr Medved said:

Looks like Tor has been taken by a band of ninjas. Must have left is bayonet at home...

It is not just tor, it seems everyone has been abducted.

BTW, zaph - how is the Brisbane market now?

I’m thinking about buying a place in the next few years. Just a cheapie inner city unit. 

13 hours ago, AndersB said:

BTW, zaph - how is the Brisbane market now?

I’m thinking about buying a place in the next few years. Just a cheapie inner city unit. 

I've noticed an uptick in my area recently. More old listings being sold and new ones selling quickly. Not yet sure if there has been an increase in prices though. 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/brisbane-qld/spring-swing-underway-in-brisbane/news-story/dc29ff62486d11c431c771eedda3589b

On 11/10/2019 at 11:52 PM, zaph said:

I've noticed an uptick in my area recently. More old listings being sold and new ones selling quickly. Not yet sure if there has been an increase in prices though. 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/brisbane-qld/spring-swing-underway-in-brisbane/news-story/dc29ff62486d11c431c771eedda3589b

Thanks zaph.

So - bubbly boom time ahead again?

What's your take on the future of the Aussie economy? The previous bubble was driven by a mining boom and an impulse response to record low interest rates. What could drive the next housing bubble?

6 hours ago, AndersB said:

Thanks zaph.

So - bubbly boom time ahead again?

What's your take on the future of the Aussie economy? The previous bubble was driven by a mining boom and an impulse response to record low interest rates. What could drive the next housing bubble?

Who knows. Perhaps in this area of Brisbane. 

The only thing that could drive a boom is massive influx of capital (unlikely? who knows) or China/central banks stimulus (they've done it before). Maybe a world war would be a positive outcome economically if Australia was not directly involved (safe haven, provider of supplies, etc.).

IMO the country is already in recession regardless of what statistics are being trotted out by government officials. The macro indicators out of China are not positive either.

It sounds like the banks have essentially brushed off the Royal Commission so they may get back to their old habits if left unchecked... that may provide additional stimulus. The AUD continues to tank, I'm actually on the positive side of holding Russian Rubles! Good thing I'm holding USD and XAU too. I know I'm an old fart, but remember when gold was less than $1,000AUD/ounce - it is now $2,200.

A crack-up boom is possible, but I think she's dead, Jim!

On 11/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, AndersB said:

It is not just tor, it seems everyone has been abducted.

I would like to be abducted by perky young cheerleaders but hasn't happened yet!

On 16/10/2019 at 10:01 AM, Mr Medved said:

I would like to be abducted by perky young cheerleaders but hasn't happened yet!

Good you're still here, though!

On 10/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, Mr Medved said:

Looks like Tor has been taken by a band of ninjas. Must have left is bayonet at home...

ahahaha nope. Maybe 20 seconds after I posted that things went super f*cking weird.

Someone posted pictures of me and people that don't like being on the internet along with my details. Some of the other people in the photos and my lawyer suggested very strongly that I do not post in my favourite "Drunk Post" forums.

Then we spent a year taking disasters with us. I swear every country we went to weird arse crap happened. Biggest typhoon ever? yeah we got the last flight out of Japan some 2 hrs before it hit, NZ? Some dumb f*ck shoots up a thing. Visit Israel? Trump pulls troops out and lets Syria and Turkey go mental under Russian diplomacy. Hide in Poland? Actually that worked. The one country I am most nervous about being f*cked over for my family (oh we got married again there) and nothing happened. heh. Then we come to Canada just in time for everyone to go mental with the virus.

Currently we are fairly sure I am infected (stupid dirty Toronto people coming to delightful French Canada) but low ish symptoms. And worst of all our French classes have been cancelled, all I wanted was to learn Canadian French good enough to annoy all of my French French friends.

I have learned to make an awesome poutine. This is of no use whatsoever in any country where you cannot get cheese curds.

Haha... sounds like a mate of mine. In the space of about a month he evacuated several times due to bush fires, dealt with landslides and floods, struck down by an unknown virus pre-Wuhan outbreak, and his wife was bitten by a deadly snake. Now his business has been shut down by the government due to the panic! Probably for six months. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I hope they weren't Bezos-like photo leaks. :)

Have the Canadians freaked out or are they taking it in their stride?

Just as a time marker (from the post in October), gold got up to 2700 AUD but has eased a bit. That's almost +500 AUD since October. If it has a similar run as in the GFC it should get close to 3000 AUD. AUD/USD has dropped from around 0.70 to 0.59, so my liquid investments have held up well in the short-term.

6 hours ago, tor said:

ahahaha nope. Maybe 20 seconds after I posted that things went super f*cking weird.

Someone posted pictures of me and people that don't like being on the internet along with my details. Some of the other people in the photos and my lawyer suggested very strongly that I do not post in my favourite "Drunk Post" forums.

Then we spent a year taking disasters with us. I swear every country we went to weird arse crap happened. Biggest typhoon ever? yeah we got the last flight out of Japan some 2 hrs before it hit, NZ? Some dumb f*ck shoots up a thing. Visit Israel? Trump pulls troops out and lets Syria and Turkey go mental under Russian diplomacy. Hide in Poland? Actually that worked. The one country I am most nervous about being f*cked over for my family (oh we got married again there) and nothing happened. heh. Then we come to Canada just in time for everyone to go mental with the virus.

Currently we are fairly sure I am infected (stupid dirty Toronto people coming to delightful French Canada) but low ish symptoms. And worst of all our French classes have been cancelled, all I wanted was to learn Canadian French good enough to annoy all of my French French friends.

I have learned to make an awesome poutine. This is of no use whatsoever in any country where you cannot get cheese curds.

Oh dear! You know I like you tor, but do you mind keeping away from Sweden or Australia until your jinx is broken?

Well the borders here are closed (both Quebec and Canada) so I don't see us leaving for a while :)

Canadians seem to be taking it pretty well. Supermarkets are fully stocked, none of that weird toilet paper thing happening. They do have signs in the supermarket saying "Two items per customer please" though.

On 01/04/2020 at 11:59 PM, tor said:

Well the borders here are closed (both Quebec and Canada) so I don't see us leaving for a while :)

Canadians seem to be taking it pretty well. Supermarkets are fully stocked, none of that weird toilet paper thing happening. They do have signs in the supermarket saying "Two items per customer please" though.

Canadia seems a very civilised place in general. Why are they so polite?

12 hours ago, staringclown said:

Canadia seems a very civilised place in general. Why are they so polite?

You know when someone is a complete arsehole near you at a restaurant or something and it makes you be even nicer than your normal self? Yeah I think that is it. They have a stunning supply of arseholes nearby -all- -the- -time-!

When Trump had his vague idea of sending troops to the canadian border the entire country burst into laughter "we only go there to work and all jobs are closed"

Then when Trump tried to stop existing PPE orders from 3M being fulfilled to Canada the entire country laughed as Trudeau hinted that this kind of thing would stop the thousands of medical workers that go south to help the 'merkins every day.

All of the laughter was carefully in French around these parts though - that way none of them know :)

One of the canadians I was drinking with before this nonsense had the theory that the snow makes them friends. I am actually intrigued by the idea. Anecdotally the more snow a country has the more they seem to have community in my experience.

On 16/04/2020 at 9:45 AM, tor said:

You know when someone is a complete arsehole near you at a restaurant or something and it makes you be even nicer than your normal self? Yeah I think that is it. They have a stunning supply of arseholes nearby -all- -the- -time-!

When Trump had his vague idea of sending troops to the canadian border the entire country burst into laughter "we only go there to work and all jobs are closed"

Then when Trump tried to stop existing PPE orders from 3M being fulfilled to Canada the entire country laughed as Trudeau hinted that this kind of thing would stop the thousands of medical workers that go south to help the 'merkins every day.

All of the laughter was carefully in French around these parts though - that way none of them know :)

One of the canadians I was drinking with before this nonsense had the theory that the snow makes them friends. I am actually intrigued by the idea. Anecdotally the more snow a country has the more they seem to have community in my experience.

The nearby asshole theory holds water when the nearby asshole in all likelyhood is packing. I've heard a similar theory regarding 'merkin versus 'merkin. 'Have a nice day' said in a dull repetitive monotone can count as polite.

I like the snow theory makes sense. In terms of the current isolation - snow keeps you hemmed in. If you weren't polite carnage could ensue. Oz provides a an opposite example as we're quite rude. It would require a study of manners variation with seasonality to convince me. There's no doubt a PhD in that.

I've missed you bro. :) 

5 hours ago, staringclown said:

I've missed you bro. :) 

I don't even remember how to say bro properly anymore. I have been practicing saying "Goeinferrrrarip" and other things. When this shutdown finishes (looks like montreal is sort of thinking of starting to plan for something in maybe a fortnight - in the meantime the government suggests a glass of wine) I am going to have that phrase on lock I tells ya! I Will Go For All The Rips!

On 16/04/2020 at 9:45 AM, tor said:

I have the opposite but complimentary theory that hot countries produce hot heads or brain-fried individuals. Think southern USA, Middle East, Afghanistan, much of Africa, etc.

I can't remember the source but there was an evolutionary theory that those in cold, dark climates have higher IQ because of the survival aspect during winter. Somewhat plausible given IQ levels in North Asia and Scandinavia, and IIRC Ashkenazi Jews originated from modern-day Ukraine.

4 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I have the opposite but complimentary theory that hot countries produce hot heads or brain-fried individuals. Think southern USA, Middle East, Afghanistan, much of Africa, etc.

I can't remember the source but there was an evolutionary theory that those in cold, dark climates have higher IQ because of the survival aspect during winter. Somewhat plausible given IQ levels in North Asia and Scandinavia, and IIRC Ashkenazi Jews originated from modern-day Ukraine.

I am guessing that is a bullsh*t theory and there are likely several reasons for the example countries possibly scoring lower on IQ tests. Lack of education, lack of cultural identification and poverty would be my starting points.

Given mostly no one seems to even agree what an IQ test measures and what it means is a good place to laugh at any theories based on IQ scores.

I am so insulated from really stupid people most of the time, and even more so now, that I sometimes forget how dumb some people can be. And the world is full of them.

But arseholes are worse. So hibernating at home most of the time is not so bad.

And anyone who disagrees with me is clearly of low IQ. :D

Buyers of freshly built homes would get a $50,000 cheque from the Morrison government under a $2.5 billion plan from the Property Council to kickstart the economy amid Reserve Bank warnings the housing sector faces an extended period of pain.

The council also wants the abolition of stamp duty, the broadening of the GST and a "welcome migration" campaign aimed at luring foreigners to Australia. On Wednesday, the group said without change the residential sector would weigh on the economy in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/new-home-boost-50k-to-home-builders-plan-as-rba-raises-property-concerns-20200519-p54ue5.html

Free granny flat anyone?

Aussies are rugged and hardy people. We can handle any natural disaster, hardship or challenge, be it cyclones, drought, bushfires or pandemics - and we can face every enemy in world wars with grit, determination, and bravery. We are as tough as anything!

But if property values are threatened....

Edited by AndersB
2 people like this

On 21/05/2020 at 2:06 AM, AndersB said:

Aussies are rugged and hardy people. We can handle any natural disaster, hardship or challenge, be it cyclones, drought, bushfires or pandemics - and we can face every enemy in world wars with grit, determination, and bravery. We are as tough as anything!

But if property values are threatened....

You won't get help during a bushfire. But a housing crisis - watch the manna rain down from the heavens...

1 person likes this