zaph

Zaph's real estate adventures

261 posts in this topic

I haven't been following RE prices in the area but I reckon they've jumped another 10%. So 20% increase in five years. I'm rich! Where's my doubling every 7-10 years? 2-5 years and it will happen. 

Oh ye of little faith! The next 2 years will bring the next 80% price increase, of course!

Oh ye of little faith! The next 2 years will bring the next 80% price increase, of course!

Left, right, testicles, spectacles. I hope so, I'm thinking of downsizing so that would be great for me. 

There's a house near me that's been empty and up for rent since before xmass.

It's not a bad place, well priced, but...

• It's the corner of a main-ish road - not a truck route, only busy in peak, one lane each way. Front of house is on side rd and has high fencing all round.
  • The grass is knee high and the place is poorly presented on REA.
  • Out of area agent who doesn't return calls and no OFIs
  • Purfect for a dog. Dog renters have trouble finding somewhere and often have to accept less than ideal. NO PETS. If they allowed a dog it would negate the main rd thing. 

Why don't owners start to question why their place isn't renting and get rid of useless agents?

There's another one for rent where all the pics are upside down.

Why don't LLs check their listing?

Purfect for a dog.

Pretty sure you're doing that wrong...

On 26/02/2017 at 0:02 PM, zaph said:

There's a house near me that's been empty and up for rent since before xmass.

There's another one for rent where all the pics are upside down.

First house rented a couple of weeks ago. So only vacant for a couple of months.

Second place still has a for rent sign out the front but has been taken down from REA.com. No sign of occupants. 

New listing on the same main-ish road, next corner up. Looking old and sad, poorly presented and hasn't been renovated since the bronze age. Lists rooms as bedrooms that are not legally bedrooms as not legal height. Asking rent consistent with a place renovated some time in the last decade, legal bedrooms and not on a main rd. I'd go to the open, but of course, there isn't one! Tell em their dreamin. "Renovated bathrooms for both upstair and downstair which is comfortable for duel living" - I'm not sure what is comfortable about duel living. "Solar panel contributes to electricity cost" - I thought solar panel were meant to reduce electricity cost not contribute to it. 

The amount of NG fraud must be adding up.  There are houses in my area advertised for rent for 6+ months.  No reduction in ask price, but why would you care in a 20% pa increase festival of toilet appreciation?   But my point here is I'll bet they take these windfall profits and still expect to be able to reduce their taxes.   It is an incredible time.

39 minutes ago, Dose said:

The amount of NG fraud must be adding up.  There are houses in my area advertised for rent for 6+ months.  No reduction in ask price, but why would you care in a 20% pa increase festival of toilet appreciation?   But my point here is I'll bet they take these windfall profits and still expect to be able to reduce their taxes.   It is an incredible time.

In my area and the cases I've listed, I don't think it's really NG fraud. Just incompetent LLs and agents. 

I'm currently house-sitting my parent's place. Which is more looking after a naughty bird and a cat so fat it can hardly move.

There's a place for rent up the road, 650pw, which I think is not bad for McMansion ville. It's advertised as seven bedrooms. I've been inside - if you count the study its five. Apparently, it has a large covered outdoor entertaining area. I've been over with my microscope and the only area that could possibly be considered an outdoor entertaining area is the portico. 

It has an ensuit. I think the leaving room is a feature. I like the idea of a leaving room...

On my wage, rent of $650 per week ($34,000 per year) would leave me with only $400 to live on per week.

Thankfully my wife and I no longer have any children at home, so we don't need 5 bedrooms and our food bill is a little more reasonable lately, although it's normal for us to spend about $200 per week on groceries. If I throw in a carton, or a few bottles of wine, it can get close to $250. Fuel usually averages $50 per week. That leaves just $100 for all the other expenses. So I struggle to see how an average family with 2 or 3 children could afford that, even if both parents were working. And yet here's the thing I discovered having 5 children of my own. We coped quite ok with 3 bedroom homes. 3 kids to a room and bunk beds, seem to have gone out of favour with the modern generation. I guess, if they wanted to rent for that amount, it would just mean cutting down on/or out of; Private School Fees, Childcare, Private Health Insurance, Comprehensive Car Insurance, Netflix, Foxtel, Internet Service Provider (NBN??), Two Vehicle Registration, Electricity, etc.

(I'm a little out of touch, so I don't know what else the modern family pays for)

Call me old fashioned, (yeah, I know!) but I still think that's an exorbitant rent.

Edited by Solomon

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

So I struggle to see how an average family with 2 or 3 children could afford that, even if both parents were working.

It's an above average home in an above average area, so it's not really fair to assume it should be available to an average family.

(I'm a little out of touch, so I don't know what else the modern family pays for)

Call me old fashioned, (yeah, I know!) but I still think that's an exorbitant rent.

If your kids are adults then you're probably not familiar with the rivers of gold that are family tax benefits. With five kids these days you'd be getting close to a grand a week in welfare. Maybe more - you need a doctorate to work it - a simple look at the Centrelink site is not clear.