Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RumpledElf

Buying a website

20 posts in this topic

Spotted a website for sale for $10k. Bit out of my budget at the moment since I have to shove almost that much into my current loan for no particular reason, but it would be tempting otherwise.

This one earns between 300-700 a month. It is a 'joke' site.

Would you buy such a beast?

Spotted a website for sale for $10k. Bit out of my budget at the moment since I have to shove almost that much into my current loan for no particular reason, but it would be tempting otherwise.

If the income quoted is accurate and verifiable, why not? The returns are very good for the level of investment.

(Assuming you has the skillz to keep it current and attractive to it's present audience...)

The funny thing is, its a 2 page website - no content at all. Best earning idea I've seen for ages :)

If I had more dosh handy I'd be awfully tempted ...

Interesting to see the earning power of an utterly stupid website. I'm impressed.

The funny thing is, its a 2 page website - no content at all. Best earning idea I've seen for ages :)

If I had more dosh handy I'd be awfully tempted ...

Interesting to see the earning power of an utterly stupid website. I'm impressed.

Oh FFS!

That is NOT what I understood by 'joke site'...

Hilarious!

well if you split the diff btwn high and low and that is net not gross, then you are looking at 500/month or 6k/year. 60% return on investment is not bad. about 20 times better than property.

RE, it sounds like they just worked out a way to get ads or whatever they do, onto their site. I guess if they replicate this - and why wouldn't they if it's a money spinner- then they sell them. I bet they cost them very little (certainly not 10k) to set it up. GHPC, I believe, used to get revenue as well. If it's a matter of traffic through -> revenue, then you could always add a comment on news.com.au and put simplesustainable.com under your comment to attract traffic here. The joke site sounds like it has no traffic, though? So they must have worked out some other way to get that revenue. What woudl that be, would then be the question. How do you get revenue to a shell?*

* Quick share anecdote. Apparently, shells are worth something. One the ASX on HotCopper, I see people discussing a "shell play" ie a company that has effectively would down, has no money, does nothing, but still they get an offer of a takeover (30% price added to current share price of a company that does nothing- go figure). What is being bought is the ability to list on the ASX, I think- that costs money in itself, and another company would prefer to buy an existing shell rather than list their own activities via IPO, which is expensive and risky.

Find the solution to someone else's revenue shell you can have your own revenue shell (or plenty of them). Why not!

It would have cost them $20 to set up, and with only 2 pages? Not exactly a lot of effort either. Hence why I'm so impressed :)

I saw the site stats, it gets quite a bit of traffic and a CTR of 30% on the ads (this site has a CTR of 0.01%, by contrast).

All you'd get for your $10k is a revenue stream, not any data. Because there isn't any!

Offer $4k for 50%.

-Getting a discount is consistent with the frugality theme

-Having the existing owners invested increases likelihood that traffic/clicks will continue flowing

-Maybe agree on an earnout arrangement if you want to get fancy...

There must b a way to find out the secret of how they do what they do, though. The website is 10k, but how much is the secret worth- a hundred bucks? Maybe they'd sell that to you, RE, unless they are weird about competition. If they can set it up, so can you.

I'm in agreeance with medved. It's like you're asking if I'd buy a cow without showing me the cow. I need to see the cow. Poke it in the eye and see if it blinks so to speak.

I'm in agreeance with medved. It's like you're asking if I'd buy a cow without showing me the cow. I need to see the cow. Poke it in the eye and see if it blinks so to speak.

Funny clown! Don't be cruel to animals, though, clown- not nice.

On the website, a part of due diligence would be RE finding out the secret to the riches therein. If it sounds too good to be true and all that. RE, it might be a scam, so just let the website owner tell you how they operate the thing, and then disengage from the due diligence process once you know. You'll sort it and good luck! :)

Funny clown! Don't be cruel to animals, though, clown- not nice.

On the website, a part of due diligence would be RE finding out the secret to the riches therein. If it sounds too good to be true and all that. RE, it might be a scam, so just let the website owner tell you how they operate the thing, and then disengage from the due diligence process once you know. You'll sort it and good luck! :)

Merely testing the reflex action of the beast plonk. No cause for concern. I'll rephrase it as a gentle poke in the eye. :)

Oh, the site is legit and the secret is just that it is a really stupid website, so no secret. You find a good niche and make another site equally stupid the same thing would happen.

http://www.babypicturemaker.com/ is the site, the guy has probably sold it by now.

If these sites actually sell for 10K it is probably not I bad idea to create them and then sell them. I have at least 10 dumb ideas a year. B)

I quite like this Gordon ramsay translator

Apologies for the language but:

PRICE REDUCED

Owner says sell. Suit Investor or Homebuyer. Now well below replacement cost.

3 bed 2 bath home on roomy 2.5 Acre block with magic mountain views - room to move for the f*cking whole family.

Open plan house with delightful bay window feature in lounge. Modern kitchen, reverse cycle A/C, two nice bathrooms and an easy f*cking care yard make this f*cking pretentious sh*t property a f*cking true gem.

And all the f*cking hard work is done... just sit back and enjoy the f*cking location.Great family base, holiday home, or even retirement.

Plenty of room for a f*cking vegie patch and even a f*cking few chooks!.f*cking hell

If these sites actually sell for 10K it is probably not I bad idea to create them and then sell them. I have at least 10 dumb ideas a year. B)

I quite like this Gordon ramsay translator

lmao

that's one of the funniest, dumbest sites i've seen.

As long as you have a basic understanding of how the internet works it seems like a good line of business to get in.

There is a plethora of information out there so you would have to sieve through it to sort out the useful from the junk.

You would have to study how google works and how search engine optimisation works as sites like these are entirely reliant on the amount of traffic that they are receiving.

If you could be guaranteed that you will keep getting traffic then it might be a worthwhile side project.