RumpledElf

How to fix everything

6 posts in this topic

We were having one of those stupid discussions the other day while making dinner. And bear in mind that this is highly politically incorrect and would never ever happen, but hey :)

So, to get rid of the housing shortage, unemployment and the welfare bill all at once, its pretty easy.

Just bring back in-house staff. Instead of having to pay a maid/cleaner/babysitter etc, just give up a room in your house and provide free food/accommodation and minimal allowance to someone to do that for you. If you run a business, do the same but for your young apprentices - pay primarily by board and lodging instead of a wage. But of course have this as the ALTERNATIVE to the dole/single parent pensions, don't have the dole AND this or lazy people will take the easy way out with no work.

Since it removes the prohibitive cost of these things, heaps of people should take this up. All the young things who'd otherwise sit around and either get stoned or breed can cook and clean for the richer folks. Hey, it might even eliminate obesity if they actually cook not just buy maccas! And apprentices would get looked after until they were finished and ready for a full wage. If you don't take on youngsters with kids, 16yos might consider this an alternative option to having kids really young and might actually delay breeding until they are older and wiser. Older people could be live-in babysitters, cleaners, gardeners, anything.

Flawed I know, but this is how it used to be back in the day before minimum wage and welfare.

We were having one of those stupid discussions the other day while making dinner. And bear in mind that this is highly politically incorrect and would never ever happen, but hey :)

So, to get rid of the housing shortage, unemployment and the welfare bill all at once, its pretty easy.

Just bring back in-house staff. Instead of having to pay a maid/cleaner/babysitter etc, just give up a room in your house and provide free food/accommodation and minimal allowance to someone to do that for you. If you run a business, do the same but for your young apprentices - pay primarily by board and lodging instead of a wage. But of course have this as the ALTERNATIVE to the dole/single parent pensions, don't have the dole AND this or lazy people will take the easy way out with no work.

Since it removes the prohibitive cost of these things, heaps of people should take this up. All the young things who'd otherwise sit around and either get stoned or breed can cook and clean for the richer folks. Hey, it might even eliminate obesity if they actually cook not just buy maccas! And apprentices would get looked after until they were finished and ready for a full wage. If you don't take on youngsters with kids, 16yos might consider this an alternative option to having kids really young and might actually delay breeding until they are older and wiser. Older people could be live-in babysitters, cleaners, gardeners, anything.

Flawed I know, but this is how it used to be back in the day before minimum wage and welfare.

Flawed? Screw that. The first car I own will come with a chauffeur.

I bought this house with the aim of having staff living here being viable[1]. If that staff happens to be database people doing a lifestyle job for a few years or someone making me be lazy about the stuff I hate doing I don't really see the difference.

I _really_ want to hire a retired cabinet maker widower that needs a place to live and understands the concept of "make it right, don't just get it done". Giving him / her accommodation just means I can pay less of an hourly rate and not have to deal with as much bollocks regarding the whole "turning up when you said you would" I get with normal tradesmen.

I am happy to pay reasonable wages as well though. I figure board, food + 60K pa must be an attractive option.

Unfortunately there are a few things I need to get done before I can actually offer this.

[1] Alternately having a live in alternate girlfriend, still not sure if that was a joke or not. Too much work to do to find out unfortunately.

A 'how to fix' post that doesn't mention Selleys Liquid Nails?

Wasted.

I'm still thinking about the idea. I suspect on balance it would reduce utility, otherwise people would already be doing more of it.

Instead of having to pay a maid/cleaner/babysitter etc, just give up a room in your house and provide free food/accommodation and minimal allowance to someone to do that for you.

If you have 3 kids and duel incomes take away the child care rebate and this idea already stacks up in most capital cities.

3 kids at $60.00 per day = $46,000 p.a. just on your childcare.

Get a bit of cleaning and stuff done on the side all the better.

But you can get so much of the above back leaving you only about half of the above 46k to spend on live in help. Actually I do recall there is a minimal amount on offer for other care arrangements too but it is nowhere near as generous as the child care rebate hence why people opt for where the free money is, organised childcare.

In some places a group of families will get together and split the costs of a nanny. Apparently that works out really well.

The SIL leaves her offspring with her mother, which of course works out even better. Great if you have family nearby, not helpful for the rest of us. There's another good use for oldies that sprawling cities have undone - kids don't usually live that close to their parents. Or they themselves are double income couples and have no time to babysit the grandkids because they are paying off the equity loan on their house.

I'm probably not going to put the littler ones in childcare at all - with both of us home all the time there's no real need, and its not like they never see any other kids. We go to kindergym and playgroup, and kindergarten will roll around soon enough. Kindy is $4 a session or some such, it is subsidised like school. We don't pay anything for the school, we still scrape under the school card threshold, since it is based on taxable income and our taxable income is rather low. If we strike it rich in the meantime we are SO getting a cleaner etc.

My eldest was regaling us the other day on what she'd do if she was a billionaire. A lot of it you could do on about 2 million. Servants featured quite heavily, I have to agree that we'd never get a big house on a big block unless we could afford staff to go along with it. You know - gardener, cleaner, pool boy (or girl). Preferably hot staff, so you can sit back and watch them :)

This is the song that got my daughter started:

Preferably hot staff, so you can sit back and watch them :)

You sound like you would fit right in on the board of David Jones. :naughty: