zaph

all aboard!

9 posts in this topic

http://crystalwaters.org.au/?page_id=582

For Sale: Lot 82 Crystal Waters, Maleny, 4552, Queensland, Australia.

The Home.

Historic and unique. A Victorian Railway Carriage.. (Circa 1915) Plus station.

For the first time offered since settlement in 1989

The carriage is 18mts long, by 2.75mts wide. Comprising of the guards van; complete with all original fittings and instruments, including stretcher. Now used for tools and storage.

The bedroom/study adjoin, leading to the lounge/dining compartment and the kitchen beyond.

The interior houses Tasmanian wood and ornate pressed metals ceilings, plus two original seats. Doors/windows both sides open onto the extensive decks. There is a 3mt extension to house bathroom, with composting toilet; plus adjoining spare guest room.

The carriage is partly restored and the rest needs mostly cosmetics as the basic structure is sound.

All situated facing north for maximum passive solar/thermal effect. There is a large covered deck to the north providing indoor/outdoor living all year, plus a smaller covered deck on the south side.

The Land

Lot 82 on group titles plan no. 1833. The subject acreage is 4285m2 and is relatively flat. Situated at the end of the property, it has a very private position surrounded by common land on two sides. This is a well maintained lot with a gentle slope providing for easy maintenance. It has a productive vegetable garden, as well as variety of mature tropical and other fruit/ nut trees. Also native timber trees endemic to the area, plus a few exotics. There have been no chemicals used on this land for the past 25 years. There are two active beehives which are also on offer.

There is a private, self contained one bedroom cabin situated on the lot. This has been rented out in the past.

This is a 75 year leasehold lot owned by the Crystal Waters cooperative. The Lease expires in 2064 and is convertible to freehold.

PRICED FOR QUICK SALE: @ $285,000

doesn't anyone want to live in a train. i think it's pretty cool!

i'm moving into this commune. do you think they will take offers?

We actually have been deciding on how to fit out the girlfriends wardrobe. At the moment it is a tossup between fitting it out like a sleeper car on the orient express that poirot was on or doing it in a "50's stars dressing room" style.

I am still of the opinion that art deco railway carriage would be really cool. The room is not quite long and skinny enough though so the dresing room thing might end up being a better choice.

A random throwaway idea was to do it as the baggage room on a 60's liner.

But I still think the cool factor of function embedded in every facet of the form is a brilliant thing.

We actually have been deciding on how to fit out the girlfriends wardrobe. At the moment it is a tossup between fitting it out like a sleeper car on the orient express that poirot was on or doing it in a "50's stars dressing room" style.

I am still of the opinion that art deco railway carriage would be really cool. The room is not quite long and skinny enough though so the dresing room thing might end up being a better choice.

A random throwaway idea was to do it as the baggage room on a 60's liner.

But I still think the cool factor of function embedded in every facet of the form is a brilliant thing.

Art Deco is way cooler.

You could make the room seem narrower by installing floor to ceiling wardrobes all down one wall.

Overall I think it would be easier, and more fun, to make a house seem like a train, than to make a train seem like a house. (The elegance of form meeting function notwithstanding).

I could go the train. I like Maleny. If the internet was there I'd consider turning on, tuning in and dropping out in quick measure. Of course then your true woes begin (brush turkeys and Woolworths stores)

I could go the train. I like Maleny. If the internet was there I'd consider turning on, tuning in and dropping out in quick measure. Of course then your true woes begin (brush turkeys and Woolworths stores)

I see you in 60ft of cataraman with an eye patch and huge speakers.

Art Deco is way cooler.

You could make the room seem narrower by installing floor to ceiling wardrobes all down one wall.

Overall I think it would be easier, and more fun, to make a house seem like a train, than to make a train seem like a house. (The elegance of form meeting function notwithstanding).

I already turned the teeny bedroom into an "old movies watching" room which is Art deco themed. Gives me a place to put the various art deco things I find which will be required when I do a room that way properly. Unfortunately it suffers from my current lack of time so it is pretty simple so far but she really likes the American Tobacco building and a few of the others in Napier so I know if I can ever get the time and money to do it properly she will like it.

hahah wow. That idea really is simple and sustainable.

Living in a carriage (and redocrating it to my tastes) would be a great idea! I'd be up for it.

It beats riding on those cramped real-life carriages day in and day out to work.