RumpledElf

Introductions thread

130 posts in this topic

:laugh:

Just curious. Does anyone violently disagree with their result? Does anyone want to swap types? Or are the results accepted because it's what people want to hear? Is there an evil type to be avoided at all costs? (Apart from AndersB) :)

I think the MB has been shown to be variable to change over time, but I've always had a fairly "strong" ENTP about me. I am wondering if, over this most recent period of life, I might have a bit more "F" about me than being an extreme "T" as I was in the past, but I recall doing the test many many years ago, being far more "T" than anyone else in the room when results were discussed- almost out the door in the lineup.

I actually don't mind Myers-Briggs. My gf and I did it at around the same time in life- it was all the rage back then... and in the same environment. It was not a bad way to sort out what we were about when we met up. She's an INTP/INFP cusp. She feels as well as thinks :)

I think the MB has been shown to be variable to change over time, but I've always had a fairly "strong" ENTP about me. I am wondering if, over this most recent period of life, I might have a bit more "F" about me than being an extreme "T" as I was in the past, but I recall doing the test many many years ago, being far more "T" than anyone else in the room when results were discussed- almost out the door in the lineup.

I actually don't mind Myers-Briggs. My gf and I did it at around the same time in life- it was all the rage back then... and in the same environment. It was not a bad way to sort out what we were about when we met up. She's an INTP/INFP cusp. She feels as well as thinks :)

She sounds nicer than you plonk. Can you put her on the line? :)

Myers Briggs is an attempt to identify your preferred personality type.

At any given time we exhibit all the qualities represented by the 8 identified types, but Myers and Briggs claimed that we tend to revert to a preferred type, as our dominant personality.

If they were truly serious, as tor highlights, they would have all different ways of actually doing the test, to suit the preferred method for doing test by all the different personality types.

For instance some people prefer multiple choice, others prefer writing out their answer, still others prefer tests where they compare two possible answers, etc.

I can't remember what my type was any more. Besides I've probably changed my personality at least four or five times since then. Its amazing what alcohol does to your personality type as well. The more often you do the test by the way, the better you get at actually picking the categories.

So for now I'm just free. Free to be me!!!

Edited by Solomon

She sounds nicer than you plonk. Can you put her on the line? :)

She is very lovely, clown. She is a soft egg. She's going to the USA on Saturday- great time to go for the AUD. No putting here on here, though, clown- I'm afraid it will just be me toughing it out. :P

She is very lovely, clown. She is a soft egg. She's going to the USA on Saturday- great time to go for the AUD. No putting here on here, though, clown- I'm afraid it will just be me toughing it out. :P

Ah well - we'll all just have to make do. I can think of worse fates plonk. ;)

Edit: Lordy my gramma

Edited by staringclown

Does anyone want to swap types?

For sure. I reckon 'E's have advantages over us 'I's, particularly when it comes to career. My misanthrope bit was a quip - I really do like some people and find them interesting as a group. I just prefer to read a good book than to spend time with them. A bloke I worked with a couple of summers ago put it well. He said "extroverts draw energy from interaction with others, introverts become drained"... It's amazing what people talk about 3am after an horrific 30 hour shift!

I don't fake empathy or interest particularly easily but have learned to do both in order to maintain friendships and working relationships. I suspect that I don't do either much more than most, it just doesn't come naturally. The attraction so many people have to gossip and small-talk is incomprehensible. That's not so much to do with Type though... but it explains away some of the social awkwardness! :thumbsup:

Heh, I'm an ENTP too ... I think the other half is as well, but he's only an E when he's a bit tipsy, otherwise he's a total recluse to the point I can't get him out of the house.

But you know what they say, take off the inhibitions and that's the real you :)

All of the extraverts where I used to work were ENTPs. It was spooky. The other 99% of people there were INTJs, although they'd let the occasional ISTJ slip through. Strange place.

For sure. I reckon 'E's have advantages over us 'I's, particularly when it comes to career. My misanthrope bit was a quip - I really do like some people and find them interesting as a group. I just prefer to read a good book than to spend time with them. A bloke I worked with a couple of summers ago put it well. He said "extroverts draw energy from interaction with others, introverts become drained"... It's amazing what people talk about 3am after an horrific 30 hour shift!

I don't fake empathy or interest particularly easily but have learned to do both in order to maintain friendships and working relationships. I suspect that I don't do either much more than most, it just doesn't come naturally. The attraction so many people have to gossip and small-talk is incomprehensible. That's not so much to do with Type though... but it explains away some of the social awkwardness! :thumbsup:

I am naturally introverted also but have had to adapt to being a little more extroverted but exactly as your collegue suggests it drains me. I have no issue with speaking about things to groups of people if I have something to add but it is when I have nothing to talk about I have issues, small talk isn't my style with complete strangers. I find the interesting thing, generalising a bit now... but as an I and because there are plenty of I's in the engineering profession I seem to do OK as introverts appears to trust other introverts. Someone who wonders in and starts slapping complete strangers on the back and being buddies when trying to make a sale does not work on an introvert, well it certainly does not work on me anyway!

In short I cannot cold call, but when someone wants something done and they have asked for it I can sometimes make things happen then and can convince them of how it can be done.

I am naturally introverted also but have had to adapt to being a little more extroverted but exactly as your collegue suggests it drains me. I have no issue with speaking about things to groups of people if I have something to add but it is when I have nothing to talk about I have issues, small talk isn't my style with complete strangers. I find the interesting thing, generalising a bit now... but as an I and because there are plenty of I's in the engineering profession I seem to do OK as introverts appears to trust other introverts. Someone who wonders in and starts slapping complete strangers on the back and being buddies when trying to make a sale does not work on an introvert, well it certainly does not work on me anyway!

In short I cannot cold call, but when someone wants something done and they have asked for it I can sometimes make things happen then and can convince them of how it can be done.

+1.

But the kicker for me is that I do a lot of social research professionally. (I guess I like to watch the wildebeests for patterns.) I can cold-call though. Sheer force of will.

Going back to what Max said, if for some reason I can't get away and be on my own for a bit... Oh brother.

Things like bonding exercises and professional retreats are sheer hell for me, and - eventually and by extension - for the others attending as well. Introverts renew themselves by being alone, and this seems to deeply disturb extroverts.

1 person likes this

:laugh:

Just curious. Does anyone violently disagree with their result? Does anyone want to swap types? Or are the results accepted because it's what people want to hear? Is there an evil type to be avoided at all costs? (Apart from AndersB) :)

I got told I was ENTJ at my Tinny interview after doing a test battery. Until then I thought Myers was an overpriced department store and Briggs was half a lawnmower engine. You is what you is and if folks don't like me they can f*ck off (hehehehe). ;)

I'm in the camp that believes personality remains broadly the same but attitudes change (eg I was once a diehard rightie but earned SFA, now I'm a centrist and do OK).

Introverts renew themselves by being alone, and this seems to deeply disturb extroverts.

This is why I like fishing.

Nothing worse than heading to "my" fishing spot on the beach usually deserted early evening and there are people I loosely know there who move up close and start asking questions! How's work etc etc... Ideally I can be left alone to cast an eye and a line out to sea with the sun setting ahead and not another soul around.

It just dawned on me that the above is quite inconsistent with my thoughts on NIMBYS isn't it...

Im an E and I love time alone. Fishing a picturesque mountain stream in Canada with not a soul for miles was nirvana.

Though if it was bear or wolf country it was good to have one other around that ran slower than you (in waders).

Im an E and I love time alone. Fishing a picturesque mountain stream in Canada with not a soul for miles was nirvana.

Though if it was bear or wolf country it was good to have one other around that ran slower than you (in waders).

I guess if you are having a good day you could throw the bear a salmon or two?

I guess if you are having a good day you could throw the bear a salmon or two?

Hehehe. I've seen bear fishing and you are right, pay the Bear tax with some trout would work. Wolves though are crazy critters they like fisherman. Only wolves I saw were from the 4WD and they had a crack at that once. Therefore, take a friend in wolf country even though he too probaly is an E and also has Tourettes.

Your Type is

ENFJ

You are:

• moderately expressed extravert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality

Thanks Carl

Hehehe. I've seen bear fishing and you are right, pay the Bear tax with some trout would work. Wolves though are crazy critters they like fisherman. Only wolves I saw were from the 4WD and they had a crack at that once. Therefore, take a friend in wolf country even though he too probaly is an E and also has Tourettes.

Yes I would rather be with just about anyone and live to tell the tale then take in the scenery and end up having to try to talk my way out of a wolfs jaws...

Interesting the 7 stages before wolves turn predatory. I would be pretty concerned by point 2 hearing wolves howling at night let alone by point 3 being observed from a distance. I reckon I would not stick around till point 6 where they start playfully nipping at my heels... This would be ringing alarm bells for me, thats for sure.

Seven stages leading to predatory attacks

Ethologist Doctor Valerius Geist of the University of Calgary, Alberta outlined seven hypothetical stages which lead to wolf attacks on humans based on historical and modern accounts.[28]

The first outlined stage is scarcity of wild game, be it due to poaching, habitat loss or seasonal migration.

Wolves begin approaching human habitations, though limit their visits to nocturnal hours. Their presence is usually established by barking matches with local dogs.

After a certain amount of time, wolves begin to frequent human habitations in daylight hours, and observe people and livestock at a distance.

The wolves begin acting bolder by attacking small livestock and pets during daylight, sometimes pursuing their prey up to verandas. At this point the wolves do not focus on humans, but will growl and act threateningly toward them.

The wolves begin attacking large-bodied livestock and may follow riders, as well as mount verandas and look into windows.

People begin to be harassed, usually in a playful manner. The wolves will chase people over short distances and nip at them, though will retreat if confronted.

Wolves begin attacking people in predatory fashions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans

Is this thread still about intros?

Female, 46, married 3 kids (15 and 12). From Melb but live HK and formally many years UK. Live in rented apartment but own a house (with a bit of land) in Gippsland. Not planning to ever buy again unless market completely tanks, and if so it will be a flat. Do not need a big house in the burbs - kids adapt.

Formally corporate treasurer, business analyst (IT), and accountant/tax for small business. Recently started working odd jobs for a magazine. Have successfully managed to reduce my income with every occupational change!! Now really a housewife with a little bit of not much on the side.

Interested in economics, politics, sports (playing not watching - although did enjoy watching the pies crush Geelong last night,), cooking, reading, gardening (to eat only) and travel.

Not interested in coffee mornings, lunching, being on the school PA or discussions about new kitchens and the like.

Fairly optimistic person in general but v concerned about world economy short term, and peak oil medium term.

Is this thread still about intros?

Female, 46, married 3 kids (15 and 12). From Melb but live HK and formally many years UK. Live in rented apartment but own a house (with a bit of land) in Gippsland. Not planning to ever buy again unless market completely tanks, and if so it will be a flat. Do not need a big house in the burbs - kids adapt.

Formally corporate treasurer, business analyst (IT), and accountant/tax for small business. Recently started working odd jobs for a magazine. Have successfully managed to reduce my income with every occupational change!! Now really a housewife with a little bit of not much on the side.

Interested in economics, politics, sports (playing not watching - although did enjoy watching the pies crush Geelong last night,), cooking, reading, gardening (to eat only) and travel.

Not interested in coffee mornings, lunching, being on the school PA or discussions about new kitchens and the like.

Fairly optimistic person in general but v concerned about world economy short term, and peak oil medium term.

Sorry that was my fault. Got carried away with the personality types.

Me. 42 (that ponderous age) Married kinda with a kinda 20 year anniversary coming up kinda soon. Federal public servant working hard for the good of the country as is my good lady kinda wife. Bourgeoisie DINKS with a penchant for whining about house prices. (And living in Canberra) Lived in Darwin, Melbourne, Brisbane, London, Canberra, Gold coast, Northern NSW. Studied environmental science, education and software engineering, issues with authority but strangely ever since I became the "man" I have less problems with the "man". I don't mind talking about anything because you never know when that obscure little factoid will turn out to be important.

Well faking or otherwise I'm gonna know. ;)

But just in case I'll say this much in defence of extroverts. We are you introverts filters. We sift through the dross of humanity and when we have a party (cos we have parties and such :P ) and present you with the finest humanity has to offer (that we know). You have the luxury of avoiding all that pointless interaction. That's why you like us puppy dogs.

If this is insufficient then you need a friend upgrade. :D

Well faking or otherwise I'm gonna know. ;)

But just in case I'll say this much in defence of extroverts. We are you introverts filters. We sift through the dross of humanity and when we have a party (cos we have parties and such :P ) and present you with the finest humanity has to offer (that we know). You have the luxury of avoiding all that pointless interaction. That's why you like us puppy dogs.

If this is insufficient then you need a friend upgrade. :D

A rather quick little read which I bumped into once and is something I largely agree with regarding introverts:

http://www.briankim.net/blog/2007/10/top-5-things-every-extrovert-should-know-about-introverts/

Introverts have more brain activity in their frontal lobes and when these areas are activated through solitary activity, introverts become energized through processes such as problem solving, introspection, and complex thinking.

Extroverts on the other hand tend to have more activity in the back of their brain, areas that deal with processing sensory information from the external world, so they tend to search for external stimuli in the form of interacting with other people and the outside world to energize them.

So if you give an introvert a lobotomy do they turn into an extrovert?

So if you give an introvert a lobotomy do they turn into an extrovert?

hehehe I suspect a lot of introverts feel that way

+1.

But the kicker for me is that I do a lot of social research professionally. (I guess I like to watch the wildebeests for patterns.) I can cold-call though. Sheer force of will.

Going back to what Max said, if for some reason I can't get away and be on my own for a bit... Oh brother.

Things like bonding exercises and professional retreats are sheer hell for me, and - eventually and by extension - for the others attending as well. Introverts renew themselves by being alone, and this seems to deeply disturb extroverts.

This sounds like me. I never realised how much I needed to renew by being alone until I bred myself a houseful of kids.

I'm an INFP - Sagittarius - Rabbit if we are sharing these details.

Me neither... and jeez some days you would think I have "Loser" tatooed on my forehead by the way the SAHM's avoid me at the school gate because of this very fact.

I am almost 35 and an unmarried, full time working, some times studying, part small business owning mother of three (4,7 and almost ten). I have been with MrBear for well, about a year longer than the eldest is old.... I am a renter...I will eventually be a buyer. I am not naturally a saver but I do like to live frugally and have got a nice little deposit nest egg growing.

I live in Brisbane. And I love Brisbane. There, I've said it, depsite the shame. I work in professional services. Keep three chickens for free-range eggs and love organic veggies and gardens.

I love cooking and skulk around the recipe thread. I also like Pina Colada's and getting caught in the rain.

Noice to meet you all.

I'm an INFP - Sagittarius - Rabbit if we are sharing these details.

You are a disturbingly similar age to me :P

I'm a GenX Saggitarius rabbit

Other half is a GenY Taurus monkey

Also have:

Gen Z Capricorn snake

Gen Z Capricorn pig

Gen Alpha Cancer tiger.

The coolest combination I know is a friend who is a Leo dragon.

Astrologically I'm not compatible with any of them, fortunately I'm Myers-Briggs compatible with the monkey or we wouldn't have the little pig :)