Max Carnage

Should news articles be posted together?

7 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer

• Daily news (and resulting discussion/banter/debate) in 1 thread
    • 1 thread per item
    • I'd prefer not to see the news (possible this is bulls favorite lately!)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

What the topic says. I've been trying to regularly scan for & post News: articles to the forum, but am worried that it might be too much. That discussions might be getting pushed off the page before they're done? The pros of doing it 1per thread include making it easy to see if an article has been posted and if one thread goes OT or descends into argument it doesn't take down the lot.

Thoughts?

Yeah well you did bump my NEWS: article off the recently added topics list in about 30 minutes :crybaby:

I read purely using the "unread items" thing so ti doesn't make much difference to me.

What used to sh*t me is when people just post a series of articles with no comment, that comes off as just spamming, may as well post your news filters and leave it at that.

I hasten to add you don't do that but other people have and it is tedious.

It would make the debate harder to track IMHO. Maybe there could be a spruiker thread and all of the myriad of spruik articles could be placed. I'm thinking of the "articles" that appear in "domain" or "money". Anything by Natalie Puchchalski. Tales of the ridiculous stuff. Pretty sure everyone on this forum knows the type of which I speak. This might make a bit of room.

Still, people can pick a forum view if they want to filter some of the stuff they may not have read. There are the little symbols all over the forum which can guide you in the right direction. You have to study up a bit. Maybe there should be a thread that covers some of the obscure symbols and hieroglyphs.

What used to sh*t me is when people just post a series of articles with no comment, that comes off as just spamming, may as well post your news filters and leave it at that.

Yep, I've been doing a bit of that. Precisely. I just post items from my google news. But I will try to make comments, and flag them as News:.

It would make the debate harder to track IMHO. Maybe there could be a spruiker thread and all of the myriad of spruik articles could be placed. I'm thinking of the "articles" that appear in "domain" or "money".

I guess another way to do it would be Housing News and Economics News subforums. Could post news articles there and chat about them in the forums?

Don't know. It works fine for me the way we're doing it, I just want to know if I'm pissing people off and there's a better way to go.

I guess another way to do it would be Housing News and Economics News subforums. Could post news articles there and chat about them in the forums?

Don't know. It works fine for me the way we're doing it, I just want to know if I'm pissing people off and there's a better way to go.

It's fine for me too. The new posts (even in a subforum) would still bump the other posts off the top five list anyway. Can we lengthen the most recent posts list? That might help with Bullsharks concerns.

Is there a view that shows all threads (from all combined forums) in chronological order that doesn't expire threads after 24 hours? I think GHPC had this view and I liked it better than the "Todays active posts". The CC forum has this view on what looks like the same software version as S&S.

Is there a view that shows all threads (from all combined forums) in chronological order that doesn't expire threads after 24 hours? I think GHPC had this view and I liked it better than the "Todays active posts". The CC forum has this view on what looks like the same software version as S&S.

"View New Content" doesn't show you what you have already read which is a minor difference to your request otherwise hits the mark. I say this simply because you didn't say whether you were aware of it or not.

"View New Content" doesn't show you what you have already read which is a minor difference to your request otherwise hits the mark. I say this simply because you didn't say whether you were aware of it or not.

Thanks tor. The only trouble with the "view new content" is that it changes whether you are logged on or not. Must be some kind of cookie thing. And sometimes you want to find a thread that was posted recently and you've read it but you can't remember what forum it was posted on. It's not a big issue for me. Search works pretty well if you can remember a good key word. Just a "nice to have".

I can have a look and see if it is possible. BTW without the IPB version in the forum sig, all recent IPB versions look the same and you can't really tell if they actually are the same or not. The more recent versions of IPB have some pretty neat features behind the scenes - especially for moderation. The Global House Price Crash forums had an older version and I reckon that contributed to its moderation woes.

Our other forum runs some truly archaic version of IBP lol ... but it doesn't have a troll issue.