tor

I like smoking and booze and decadence

57 posts in this topic

one thing in my children's development was that everytime a place was mentioned on TV (US, Caanada, SBS, ABC etc etc) one had to find it on a globe within minutes or they were cleaning up. (or counter arguing).

one thing in my children's development was that everytime a place was mentioned on TV (US, Caanada, SBS, ABC etc etc) one had to find it on a globe within minutes or they were cleaning up. (or counter arguing).

Righto, show me where that occured... globes should be on dinner tables.

w00t w00t w00t just got my new entertainment unit / shelf thing delivered. I designed it myself and everything.

Started putting crap into it and everything fits the way I wanted. It has room for 2 tv's and all my games consoles.

One more step to the smoking room!

Now I have to start measuring my books to build the steps that go into the big old shelves so I can get rid of my crappy old student bookshelves, few more months of savings and I can get them built too.

After that the floor standing globe is a likely contender. Or maybe a training dummy in full armour as I couldn't buy the real armour.

So excited hehehehe each step makes it seem more real.

Stop spending! You are making the interest rates go up. Think of the children.

No children, I can spend the equivalent of school fees and still be budget conscious :)

No children, I can spend the equivalent of school fees and still be budget conscious :)

I am torn between respectfully asking you to shut the f*ck up about your self indulgent lifestyle, or requesting you tell us a bit more about your smoking room plans so I can live a little, vicariously...

(Custom bookshelves, oh yeah, tell me more, I want all the details... :naughty: )

I am torn between respectfully asking you to shut the f*ck up about your self indulgent lifestyle, or requesting you tell us a bit more about your smoking room plans so I can live a little, vicariously...

(Custom bookshelves, oh yeah, tell me more, I want all the details... :naughty: )

The smoking room is planned to be a room with a leather couch (got it) lined with books (got the books) with a big old persian carpet (got 2 for real cheap) and various other paraphernalia; floor standing globe, art deco style standing ashtray, some kind of drinks cabinet, humidor. Missing will be electronic stuff; I don't think I want teles or computers in there. Probably want music but not sure how I will do that. A gramophone would be great but somewhat impractical as I have no gramophone records :)

The target idea is something that would not be out of place in Stephen King's "The Club" short story.

It will need exhaust fan so that non smokers can tolerate the room and so the books don't get trashed by all the smoke. I was in transit in Dubai airport and they have these brilliant smoking areas which are just in the middle of the concourse and open. The shelf / bar type arrangement around the area had vents in the top of it sucking the smoke from the ashtrays and it was silent. I assume it had some kind of vent above as well. I was really impressed by that and am trying to think of how to implement something similar.

At the moment I am just collecting the stuff as I see it for cheap or free (old leather couch got for free and it is perfect!).

The custom shelf thingy I got was a fairly basic idea that I had and is more of a test of the guys that did it than the final thing. I got it made to fit the room (so it is about 2.5m wide) and with 2 massive shelves at the bottom 400mm high by 600mm deep. Above those 2 shelves is a shorter shelf which fits all my electronics and games.

The 2 shelves are the cool bit though, I figure I can do stepped shelves inserts and store hundreds of books but still have them accessible and also make the stepped inserts to match the books. So weird one off books can be catered for without needing an entire shelf for their size. Because there is no real "fixed use" design I can change it over time to hold my beer glasses collection or whatever.

At the moment nothing looks that great of course because I am so far from the end goal but in my mind I can see it slowly coming together.

Righto, show me where that occured... globes should be on dinner tables.

Bought one of these for the daughter.

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=20393

62515_leapfrog_explorer_globe.jpg

It has a game where it asks you to find countries and you set the level of difficulty. For a real challenge you put it on capital cities!

Otherwise they can cruise around hearing the different countries national anthems etc which is what my daughter spends an inordinate amount of time doing! I suppose I can look forward to her humming along to the medal ceremonies at the next olympics.

It will need exhaust fan so that non smokers can tolerate the room and so the books don't get trashed by all the smoke. I was in transit in Dubai airport and they have these brilliant smoking areas which are just in the middle of the concourse and open. The shelf / bar type arrangement around the area had vents in the top of it sucking the smoke from the ashtrays and it was silent. I assume it had some kind of vent above as well. I was really impressed by that and am trying to think of how to implement something similar.

Sounds like a beuty.

There are some shocking airport smoking lounges. Sydney's (I think they don't even have one now!) used to be terrible. It was about 6 x 3m and was not even airconditioned or ventilated. The trays were overflowing and I thought to myself what the hell is going on here? Clearly to avoid complaints they have since just taken it away. Brisbane is OK, they have an outdoor balcony you can smoke on. Perth does not have one at all either! I reckon the butterfly garden when you were allowed to smoke in it in Singapore was the go. Now they have gone the way of Sydney with the small room with no circulation, either that or I could not find the garden last time I was there...

With those small rooms I find one ciggie even after a long haul flight is definitely enough!

Sounds like a beuty.

There are some shocking airport smoking lounges. Sydney's (I think they don't even have one now!) used to be terrible. It was about 6 x 3m and was not even airconditioned or ventilated. The trays were overflowing and I thought to myself what the hell is going on here? Clearly to avoid complaints they have since just taken it away. Brisbane is OK, they have an outdoor balcony you can smoke on. Perth does not have one at all either! I reckon the butterfly garden when you were allowed to smoke in it in Singapore was the go. Now they have gone the way of Sydney with the small room with no circulation, either that or I could not find the garden last time I was there...

With those small rooms I find one ciggie even after a long haul flight is definitely enough!

The smoking "lounge" in bangkok was the worst I've been in. It's a glass fronted room without an extractor fan. The smoke is so thick that from the outside it has the appearance of a murky fish tank. All you can see is the odd shape moving inside. Upon entering you are confronted with every type of tobacco the world has to offer. beaddies, clove ciggies, cigars and and what looked like long thin clay pipes. These are all held by cutthroat looking characters straight out of central casting. The worst part is that because of the humidity the smoke sticks your skin, as you emerge you look like you are wearing a fake tan and you STINK!

The smoking "lounge" in bangkok was the worst I've been in. It's a glass fronted room without an extractor fan. The smoke is so thick that from the outside it has the appearance of a murky fish tank. All you can see is the odd shape moving inside. Upon entering you are confronted with every type of tobacco the world has to offer. beaddies, clove ciggies, cigars and and what looked like long thin clay pipes. These are all held by cutthroat looking characters straight out of central casting. The worst part is that because of the humidity the smoke sticks your skin, as you emerge you look like you are wearing a fake tan and you STINK!

Yep they stick in my mind as the epitome of bad smoking lounges. When they upgraded the airport they didn't even do them better.

From memory Honolulu is an airport with more open-air spaces than closed...

And the air smells like flowers. Even around the smokers.

Missing will be electronic stuff; I don't think I want teles or computers in there. Probably want music but not sure how I will do that. A gramophone would be great but somewhat impractical as I have no gramophone records :)

The target idea is something that would not be out of place in Stephen King's "The Club" short story.

Not quite in keeping with 'The Club', but truly impressive (when done well) is to custom steam-punk your electronics.

A friend of mine is currently working on a steam-punk keyboard, using a standard keyboard heavily customised with an ancient typewriter keys and various cool brass gadgets that mostly have little function but great form.

You could do something similar with a sound system without too much trouble. Admittedly not purist steam-punk, but then not that much is. Lots of fun to make and very, very nice to look at.

The steam-punk laptop below is just about the perfected form of the genre.

steampunkLaptop2.jpg

Edited by Ruffian

Not quite in keeping with 'The Club', but truly impressive (when done well) is to custom steam-punk your electronics.

A friend of mine is currently working on a steam-punk keyboard, using a standard keyboard heavily customised with an ancient typewriter keys and various cool brass gadgets that mostly have little function but great form.

You could do something similar with a sound system without too much trouble. Admittedly not purist steam-punk, but then not that much is. Lots of fun to make and very, very nice to look at.

steampunkLaptop2.jpg

Has merit when Tor and I argue about the financial effect of the US intervention in the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan and its in turn effect on present US foreign policy...drunk talk.

Not quite in keeping with 'The Club', but truly impressive (when done well) is to custom steam-punk your electronics...

Not a bad idea actually. All of my stereos are hooked up to a notebook so they can get tunes easy. Something like that might work. If I could replace the display (which is really the bit I don't like aesthetically in my minds eye) to one of those old airline / train departure board things with the flappy bits like this:

amtrak.jpg

That could be cool. Probably almost impossible though.

steampunkLaptop2.jpg

Now that is clever. A spring driven laptop.

No more battery outage or being caught short in a power blackout.

Just wind her up and keep on computing.

Like clock-work really.

Hey tor.

How about a photo of the new shelves.

I gave up smoking 25 years ago after my second child was born.

I believe it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I haven't given up drinking but!!! :cheers:

Edited by Solomon

steampunkLaptop2.jpg

That is way, way cool. If HG Wells had a laptop...

Hey tor.

How about a photo of the new shelves.

I felt a bit embarrassed because I hadn't worked out how to connect my phone to my pc for file transfer. So I just spent some time figuring it out. Voila, un picature:

post-85-12841719979605_thumb.jpg

Oh and does anyone know of a decent bit of cad type software which is relatively good for home stuff?

Ideally I would like to model the entire house and objects in it so if I need something new I can immediately work out the measurements.

Bonus features would be:

• the ability to whack a photo onto objects so they look like what they are from a couple of angles.
  • the ability to drag stuff around to see what fits where.
  • a link to database items like where the manual is, when it was bought and what the warranty is type stuff.

Oh and does anyone know of a decent bit of cad type software which is relatively good for home stuff?

Ideally I would like to model the entire house and objects in it so if I need something new I can immediately work out the measurements.

Bonus features would be:

• the ability to whack a photo onto objects so they look like what they are from a couple of angles.
  • the ability to drag stuff around to see what fits where.
  • a link to database items like where the manual is, when it was bought and what the warranty is type stuff.

Thanks for the photo tor.

Now we can see what you are talking about.

I like the double TV arrangement. I'm thinking about 4 now, so I can watch all the channels at once.

CAD programme might be Google Sketch-up which is free and fairly powerful although it won't allow you to do some of the things you are wanting.

The other is 3D Home Architect by Broderbund. There is a free version for you to trial on the net.

Otherwise the software only costs about $100. It does allow some photograph manipulation.

Technical CAD packages are very expensive I believe, and probably more involved than you could need.

They are my thoughts.

Others more computer savvy probably have others.

I like the double TV arrangement. I'm thinking about 4 now, so I can watch all the channels at once.

I just love the fact that most cheap teles now run a reasonable resolution and can be used as monitors. I hate boring exercising, the only way I find I can do it is to have a game going and the ABC 24 hr news to distract me from the tedium of an hour on a trainer.

If you go for a bunch of teles you will probably want to pick up something that can mix all 4 audio feeds into your stereo. Look around at junk fairs for an old school mixing desk. They used to make these ones that work with standard audio cassette (it has stereo and 2 "sides" therefore 4 track). If yu are watching the news you probably don't care too much about stereo sound so you could mix all 4 audio feeds together to the stereo and also have control over the individual volumes.

Unfortunately they don't have remote controls for semi obvious reasons. I picked one up for about $30 and occasionally haul it out for silly ideas.

CAD programme might be Google Sketch-up which is free and fairly powerful although it won't allow you to do some of the things you are wanting.

The other is 3D Home Architect by Broderbund. There is a free version for you to trial on the net.

Otherwise the software only costs about $100. It does allow some photograph manipulation.

Technical CAD packages are very expensive I believe, and probably more involved than you could need.

They are my thoughts.

Others more computer savvy probably have others.

Will check them out. Thanks.

NYE cocktails.

Mojito

Ingredients

10 fresh mint leaves

1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges

2 tablespoons caster sugar

1 cup ice cubes

45ml white rum

125ml soda water

Preparation method

1. Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge into a glass. Use a muddler stick to crush the mint and lime to release the mint oils and lime juice. Add 2 more lime wedges and the sugar, and bash with stick muddle again to release the lime juice. Do not strain the mixture.

2. Fill the glass almost to the top with ice. Pour the rum over the ice and fill the glass with soda water. Garnish with the remaining lime wedge.

Drink responsibly and don't steal drinks out of the hosts fridge (Or at least wait till their drunk enough not to notice)

Happy Hogmannay!!!!

I plan to drag out the bagpipes later on and make a drunken dirge if I make it till 12.

May a man with dark hair knock at your door at midnight carrying a piece of coal. And let it not be Clive Palmer.

"Lang may yer Lum Reek!"

:)

I got a bottle of Louis Thirteenth cognac for my burfday! First drink is in an hour or so.

To argue sustainability I will say that I will fill the empty decanter with less expensive cognac when I have finished the good stuff.