tor

I like smoking and booze and decadence

57 posts in this topic

Myself and several other people on the forum appear to like the over the top decadent aspects of life occasionally, we may not think of them as over the top particularly and it may rankle our inner souls to admit such on a forum about simple and sustainable living.

My argument is that a single glass of really good armagnac or a cuban to die for is better environmentally than 15 schooners of VB. Because I might have a cuban a week as opposed to 25 winnie blues a day.

Of course a decent glass of red from a local vintner is more sustainable than the same quality from a foreign locale.

So, tips and tricks for the special pleasures in life.

What humidity range do you really keep your cigars at? Do you buy cheap wine and age it yourself?

I freely admit I have been a "packaged excellent product" person myself in that I tend to buy what is great as a treat right now but figure if someone has a clue as to how to get cheaper more local things which, with a bit of patience, will be pretty damn good in a few years I would love to know.

Yes yes it is a pretty piss weak argument but hey let's run with it.

My First one:

I have started keeping cigars, When someone I know is overseas I get a decent size box of them and whack them in my christmas humidor. I have managed to keep it at some 70 with a spike to 80 for a few days when it dropped to 60 and I refilled the water dealy. So far I am at about half price for cigars and they seem to have tolerated the couple of days spike in humidity.

I suspect I ought to buy a bigger humidor to avoid these spikes but all the cigar sites seem full of wankers that claim to have a walk in humidor and a few million dollars worth of tobacco. Their advice is worthless to me.

Do you age wine yourself? If so how do you choose ones to age? How temperamental is it really?

I have put a couple of bottles of blue chimay aside as well as a bottle of chateau neuf de pape just because I like them a lot and usually have a spare. If anyone has ideas on how to do it right that would be cool

1 person likes this

He he....Chateau Neuf du Pape is considered naff drinking in the UK, only because the great unwashed can pronouce and say it correctly when ordering in an restaurant - shat_oh nerf_du_pap, also see 'Chardonnay'.

A wine that I'd say was impressive, even though I know sweet FA about wine would be a Chateau Lafite, in any vintage. Rare, expensive, collectable and impressionable if you're into that thing. Not to drink, just to show off and hopefully resell for a greater amount, just like tulip bulbs.

My greatest wine experience was a Lebanese Chateau Musar, about 17% alcohol, smooth as silk and top value. One bottle shared at lunchtime would see me through the afternoon, high as a kite.

As for sustainability, no idea. My guess is keep buying the local brew, Australian wine is great but I wouldn't hesitate buying in Bulgarian if cheap imports hit our shores. It's all about bang for buck, with a smidgen of conscience for the local manufacturers.

Back to your original question, I don't age wine, it's all bought to drink ASAP. We don't keep wine in the house, only buy what need due to the temptation.

There was a survey in the UK Times about peoples perceptions of wine. Random testers were told they were drinking a fine, expensive vintage wine and consequently they marked it high, even though it was bog standard supermarket stuff. The Times survey conclusion was that the mind plays a great part in the enjoyment of wine.

Cheers :wine:

well if sustainability is the key, just walk to the pub/bottle shop and back instead of driving. problem solved.

He he....Chateau Neuf du Pape is considered naff drinking in the UK, only because the great unwashed can pronouce and say it correctly when ordering in an restaurant - shat_oh nerf_du_pap, also see 'Chardonnay'.

We had what I consider one of the greatest marketing campaigns ever here where they just had massive billboards with the bottle and how to pronounce it.

From memory it was Viognier.

For mine I tend to waste a hell of a lot of money finding what I actually like by doing "science" at home. All started when I wanted to have a bunch of different scotches at home and someone said that I could only have those that I could identify by taste. Fortunately for me I could taste them and identify the lot so I am now allowed all the booze in the world.

The truth of course is that I was a serious barman and actually spent time tasting spirits in the manner a sommelier tastes wine except with cigarette in my gob. Despite what certain people say (Can I hear a My Hahn on the house?, it ain't chaka it is mistah!) you can taste stuff fine with a smoke because that is what your clients will be doing.

I dig the "wine that thinks it is papal" that has the yellow label, tried a few others, not so great. I am figuring at the moment I will just a buy 2 instead of one in future and chuck it down in the unfinished bathroom.

Class? Yeah I got yo class right here! (this is where I pretend to be one of those guys that touches their crotch to intimate that class has something to do with sweaty crotches)

Myself and several other people on the forum appear to like the over the top decadent aspects of life occasionally, we may not think of them as over the top particularly and it may rankle our inner souls to admit such on a forum about simple and sustainable living.

My argument is that a single glass of really good armagnac or a cuban to die for is better environmentally than 15 schooners of VB. Because I might have a cuban a week as opposed to 25 winnie blues a day.

Of course a decent glass of red from a local vintner is more sustainable than the same quality from a foreign locale.

So, tips and tricks for the special pleasures in life.

What humidity range do you really keep your cigars at? Do you buy cheap wine and age it yourself?

I freely admit I have been a "packaged excellent product" person myself in that I tend to buy what is great as a treat right now but figure if someone has a clue as to how to get cheaper more local things which, with a bit of patience, will be pretty damn good in a few years I would love to know.

Yes yes it is a pretty piss weak argument but hey let's run with it.

My First one:

I have started keeping cigars, When someone I know is overseas I get a decent size box of them and whack them in my christmas humidor. I have managed to keep it at some 70 with a spike to 80 for a few days when it dropped to 60 and I refilled the water dealy. So far I am at about half price for cigars and they seem to have tolerated the couple of days spike in humidity.

I suspect I ought to buy a bigger humidor to avoid these spikes but all the cigar sites seem full of wankers that claim to have a walk in humidor and a few million dollars worth of tobacco. Their advice is worthless to me.

Do you age wine yourself? If so how do you choose ones to age? How temperamental is it really?

I have put a couple of bottles of blue chimay aside as well as a bottle of chateau neuf de pape just because I like them a lot and usually have a spare. If anyone has ideas on how to do it right that would be cool

So if I read this right it's a "champagne taste on a beer budget" thread? If so then I believe this is an achievable aim. And a sustainable option. Although it does take a bit of layout up front and a lot of patience. That is you need to start building up a collection. I am blessed in that I have an area under my house which stays at a fairly constant temperature in which i can store wine. If it's got a cork - on it's side.

I started buying from an online auction site called langtons to build up stock but I was constantly getting sniped right at the close of the auctions. Bastards. So I started going to my local (reputable) wine man and buying stuff that I'd read about in Hallidays wine companion OR stuff from the bargain bin. (This can be risky but sometimes extremely rewarding and is instant gratification of aged wine at a cheaper price.) For instance I have been buying a bunch of 2001 shiraz for Ms clown form my man. 2 out of three times uncork the cork breaks in half. They know this and sell what is otherwise excellent wine at a 50% discount. I have raised it with them and although they express surprise I can't be the only one to have told them. I keep buying though cos it is sweet

There's a cracker of a bottle shop at the castle crag shops. (downstairs) The man there will give you good advice on what to cellar. If you buy regularly they will keep you in mind for deals they might do. This can also be a saving as if you are regular you can haggle to a certain degree if they like you and you can talk wine. Talking wine involves drinking a fair bit of wine and knowing a few key terms. Nose, length, Any flavour you recognise (A few nice ones - liquorice, citrus, berry, passionfruit, tobacco and diesel/petrol (for your aged dry reislings and sav blancs) Use your imagination. Throws in tannins with a big red and bobs your mothers brother you have rapport with your dealer.

In the immortal words of Anonymous "Life is too short to drink bad wine". You need to know what wine is good for cellaring and how long for. The book will tell you this. It's not cheap but cheaper than buying the mature wine. You may well have more will power than me and be able to go full term with the cellaring.

I've given up* all types of smoking. I doubt I ever aged a wine more than 6 weeks (and then only because I was away)... :mellow:

Any suggestions for "a really good armagnac"? I enjoy cognac and you've got me a bit curious to try something different. :cheers:

I've given up* all types of smoking. I doubt I ever aged a wine more than 6 weeks (and then only because I was away)... :mellow:

Any suggestions for "a really good armagnac"? I enjoy cognac and you've got me a bit curious to try something different. :cheers:

Janneau is a safe bet.

There is one that comes in quite a plain looking cognac style bottle which I often like too but never remember the name.

Often I see ones I have never seen before and can usually not find the ones I have liked though as it is such a slow mover on the shelves on small quantities get brought in.

Let's move to mother Russia where they respect their smokers and drinkers. :)

Russians told to light up and knock 'em back

Smoke and drink more, Russia's finance minister Alexei Kudrin urged citizens, explaining that higher consumption would help lift tax revenues for spending on social services.

"If you smoke a pack of cigarettes, that means you are giving more to help solve social problems such as boosting demographics, developing other social services and upholding birth rates," Mr Kudrin said, quoted by the Interfax news agency.

"People should understand: Those who drink, those who smoke are doing more to help the state," he said, offering unconventional advice as the Russian government announced plans to raise excise duty on alcohol and cigarettes.

75-80 on the humidor Tor. I've got a few Monte's that are now 10yo and look and smell as good as when they rolled off the Cuban thigh in the 90s.

Don't seem to be able to keep any alcohol long.

Here is a cigar being rolled apropriately Tor...

(CAUTION: DO NOT OPEN LINK AT WORK - NUDITY)

Independance Cigar Ad

Oh another armagnac I use a lot. Tabriquet, widely available for the Classique. I tend to treat it is a drinking / cooking one though (as in it is not super special). Probably a good place to start as it is fairly cheap, maybe $40 a bottle. It has the earthier flavours which attracted me to armagnac in the first place (compared to the sweetness of cognac).

75-80 on the humidor Tor. I've got a few Monte's that are now 10yo and look and smell as good as when they rolled off the Cuban thigh in the 90s.

Oh cool. I chucked a bunch into my christmas humidor (which only holds about 12 robusto) and I noticed the other day the humidity was down to like 60 so I redid the water thingy and then it spiked up to 80. It went down to 70 odd after a day or two but I was wondering if I managed to trash the lot in that time. Haven't opened it since to try and let it sort itself out.

Don't seem to be able to keep any alcohol long.

Buy more than you can drink. Make it a race between your liver and your cellar. You win either way!!!

Here is a cigar being rolled apropriately Tor...

(CAUTION: DO NOT OPEN LINK AT WORK - NUDITY)

Independance Cigar Ad

That is a warning that only applies to NSW labor members isn't it?

Oh another armagnac I use a lot. Tabriquet, widely available for the Classique. I tend to treat it is a drinking / cooking one though (as in it is not super special). Probably a good place to start as it is fairly cheap, maybe $40 a bottle. It has the earthier flavours which attracted me to armagnac in the first place (compared to the sweetness of cognac).

Might have a crack at that. Armagnac and a cigar sounds just the ticket.

That is a warning that only applies to NSW labor members isn't it?
:thumbsup::laugh:

BTW use demineralised/distilled water in your humidor or the pores get clogged with time.

Might have a crack at that. Armagnac and a cigar sounds just the ticket.

I think they go together better as cigars taste more like dirt than lollies. So does armagnac.

BTW use demineralised/distilled water in your humidor or the pores get clogged with time.

That one I am onto (it was in the instructions and I am the type of sad bugger that reads them hehehe).

As an aside have you seen reasonably priced large humidors? Are they a dumb idea (like should you have multiple smaller ones?).

Mine is Spanish Cedar interior and Polished redwood exterior holds about 120 of a mixed size. Mrs Madoff brought it home from Vancouver as a 35th present about 10 years ago. Cost a bomb I think.

If you want a biggie this looks interesting from the Melbourne Cigar Club...

cigar-humidors-.jpg

Mine is Spanish Cedar interior and Polished redwood exterior holds about 120 of a mixed size. Mrs Madoff brought it home from Vancouver as a 35th present about 10 years ago. Cost a bomb I think.

If you want a biggie this looks interesting from the Melbourne Cigar Club...

cigar-humidors-.jpg

Ooh - I like that. That would take pride of place in the "Castro" room. Right next to the full size snooker table.

Ooh - I like that. That would take pride of place in the "Castro" room. Right next to the full size snooker table.

...some Chesterfield armchairs, a decent pianist and decanters of various Islay Malts and French Cognacs and Armagnacs and there is no tommorrow. :wine:

...some Chesterfield armchairs, a decent pianist and decanters of various Islay Malts and French Cognacs and Armagnacs and there is no tommorrow. :wine:

And a big map with a pointer so we can discuss world domination. :D

And a big map with a pointer so we can discuss world domination. :D

I picked up a great old leather couch for this purpose, girlfriends father was going to chuck it.

I have been buying decanters when I see ones I like.

Scotch I have anyways

but a map! pfft I want one of them big old globes in the floor standing mount. Been watching auction sites for a few years now, haven't come up in the quality / price range I am after.

Fill size snooker I don't actually have room for but a decent pool table I can do.

And then I will rule the universe.

The great thing about having loads of room is you can buy stuff that you need for a particular purpose and just hang on to it til the cash comes around to build the purpose.

I had thought about a raised platform that projects a 3D hologram of the globe that's google maps zoomable but this seemed a tad pretentious for even the most decadent S&S poster.

Plus you can't store your spirits inside it.

A pub pool (8*4 ft) is fine for me.

Hey ho...

http://www.latitudesmapstore.net/diplomatglobe.html

Product Description

Exclusively Replogle. Search the world over and you will not find a better example of the globemaking art. A handcrafted masterpiece, this extraordinary globe features lavish attention to both form and function. Distinctive details include touch-on illumination, rich, ten color cartography and solid brass, hand-engraved meridian. The hand-carved mounting rubbed to a lustrous walnut-finish further emphasizes the Diplomat�s uncommon beauty. An expansive 32" diameter globe ball featuring over 20,000 place names rank it among the world's most detailed globes. A perfect blend of the aesthetic and functional.

Globe Manufacturer = Replogle Globes

Diameter of globe ball = 32 inches

Overall Height = 48 inches

Replogle-diplomat-globe-tandem.jpg

just had a few fingers of Wild Turkey American Honey.

Very sweet and not my smokey preference such as Lagavulin or Laphroaig but drinkable in small quantities. Might be better as a port replacement or apertif. Definitely wouldn't cigar with it.

just had a few fingers of Wild Turkey American Honey.

Very sweet and not my smokey preference such as Lagavulin or Laphroaig but drinkable in small quantities. Might be better as a port replacement or apertif. Definitely wouldn't cigar with it.

It is okay, I liked the hazelnut flavours. After a small glass straight I drank the rest mixed with vodka to kill the over the top sweetness, about 2 parts vodka to 1 part Turkey worked out okay.

I may buy another bottle just to have it if I ever get the taste for it again but I doubt it will be in heavy rotation.

Replogle-diplomat-globe-tandem.jpg

Nice.

One of these days we're going to put a tower (fancy Victorian style, not nasty) on the corner of this place and the downstairs will be mine - all windows and bookshelves. It will have a big desk and a chesterfield couch, and a globe like that. And my classic camera collection. A cheesy cliche, but totally worth it! :thumbsup: