urchin

What to cook this weekend...

36 posts in this topic

Fantastic! Thanks SC. I look forward to making this kimchi.

It looks great, a good ratio of garlic/chili/extra gardeny tasty bits - I like garlicy kimchi! Also the chopped kimchi is better than the rolled, so that's a plus, too.

I might scale it down on my first go, however - six heads of cabbage is a fair bit if something goes wrong...

It's interesting to hear how salting time alters crunchiness. Crunchy is good, so salting time will be kept to the shorter end of the scale.

One question - do you weight the cabbage mix while it is fermenting? I.e. as for sauerkraut, with a stone (or more recently a plastic bag of water) on top, to keep it submerged?

While we are on a korean kick does anyone know of a dish which is called kalbi jim?

It is short beef spare ribs in this kind of almost soup with big chunks of potatoes with way tons of chilli. It is quite sweet though which I think is a carrot kind of sweet. Maybe sweet potato but not quite.

The local korean japanese place does it. They also do duk jim which is chicken the same way (and makes me giggle because of my purile sense of humour).

I suspect the transliteration is unusual as I haven't found a recipe that looks even close yet.

While we are on a korean kick does anyone know of a dish which is called kalbi jim?

It is short beef spare ribs in this kind of almost soup with big chunks of potatoes with way tons of chilli. It is quite sweet though which I think is a carrot kind of sweet. Maybe sweet potato but not quite.

The local korean japanese place does it. They also do duk jim which is chicken the same way (and makes me giggle because of my purile sense of humour).

I suspect the transliteration is unusual as I haven't found a recipe that looks even close yet.

I don't know how they do it at your local, but you could try this recipe -

http://www.myepikorean.com/2008/06/stewed-korean-short-ribs-kalbi-jjim.html

Kalbi/galbi jim is a pretty popular recipe, there are a lot of variations to choose from apparently...

I don't know how they do it at your local, but you could try this recipe -

http://www.myepikorean.com/2008/06/stewed-korean-short-ribs-kalbi-jjim.html

Kalbi/galbi jim is a pretty popular recipe, there are a lot of variations to choose from apparently...

That's weird. There are now loads of google results. Wonder what stupid thing I did last time I went looking...

Well, the kimchi is made and resting quietly in it's jars.

It was easy to make, and smells embarrassingly delicious - not quite as complex as fermented kimchi but damn good, even freshly made.

SC, I am in your debt, sir!

Very glad to oblige. :) Hope it turns out well. How do you not ferment it?

Er, by not letting it sit around long enough?

It will ferment in a few days - or so I sincerely hope.

All these pickled cabbage things are edible at all stages - and it really did smell so good!

Er, by not letting it sit around long enough?

It will ferment in a few days - or so I sincerely hope.

All these pickled cabbage things are edible at all stages - and it really did smell so good!

Ah I see, you've already raided the cookie jar! If it wasn't pickled cabbage you were raiding you might be scolded. :o

Hey SC -

I just had to let you know that I found an overlooked jar (in the fridge) of the Kimchi I made from your Dad's recipe a couple of months ago.

Opened it up and it has fermented to something smoothly mellow and fragrant, and we ate about half of it with dinner tonight.

That recipe is absolutely a keeper and I'm going to make a new batch as soon as I find some more decent cabbage.

The only tweak might be a bit more chili and garlic. And definitely leave lots of headroom, as it tries to climb out of the jar during the first week or two.

Very, very good.

Hey SC -

I just had to let you know that I found an overlooked jar (in the fridge) of the Kimchi I made from your Dad's recipe a couple of months ago.

Opened it up and it has fermented to something smoothly mellow and fragrant, and we ate about half of it with dinner tonight.

That recipe is absolutely a keeper and I'm going to make a new batch as soon as I find some more decent cabbage.

The only tweak might be a bit more chili and garlic. And definitely leave lots of headroom, as it tries to climb out of the jar during the first week or two.

Very, very good.

The only tweak might be a bit more chili and garlic

It should be a standing rule that the spice levels be "to taste" Personally I like more rather than less.

Delighted to have been of assistance. ^_^

I will pass on your kindest regards to the appropriate kim chi authorities

Edited by staringclown