Bernard L. Madoff

Equity Indices/Markets

842 posts in this topic

Looks like that last rate rise was bad for the Xmas sales at the luxury end of the market!

Oops. Looks like the rate rise has hit the entire discretionary market. :o

post-148-010250300 1288953434_thumb.jpg

post-148-036050800 1288953442_thumb.jpg

Oops. Looks like the rate rise has hit the entire discretionary market. :o

I recall Wulfgar calling for rate rises before Christmas, I think last year. Exactly for that reason too - reduce discretionary spending.

You can look forward to some decent discounts as I think retailers are going to be hammered big time.

I recall Wulfgar calling for rate rises before Christmas, I think last year. Exactly for that reason too - reduce discretionary spending.

You can look forward to some decent discounts as I think retailers are going to be hammered big time.

...and I can go to ebay.com (NOT .au) and get the same sh*t for half the price.

The brother of my colleague has a neighbour whose cousin's step-brother gets goods that are always declared by the seller at $200. Cutting edge Laptops, high end bicycles etc. Not his fault.

The XAO/All Ords is still about 150 points off the most recent high of 6 months ago of 5025, although we've had a quick rise of 13% over the past 4 months from the most recent low of 4250 to 4870 now. I'd say we'd have to have a pretty big smackdown to knock it down to the recent lows over the next four months. Fair value for the All Ords, or a bloated index?

The XAO/All Ords is still about 150 points off the most recent high of 6 months ago of 5025, although we've had a quick rise of 13% over the past 4 months from the most recent low of 4250 to 4870 now. I'd say we'd have to have a pretty big smackdown to knock it down to the recent lows over the next four months. Fair value for the All Ords, or a bloated index?

If you look at the Japanese index there were very tradeable highs and lows over the 20 years. Doubling and halving trends. The new norm?

...and I can go to ebay.com (NOT .au) and get the same sh*t for half the price.

That's the other reason I was thinking as to why those retailers could be suffering - people buying overseas. However, that's unlikely to apply to larger, heavier bulky items where the transport costs might make the overseas transaction not worth it.

If you look at the Japanese index there were very tradeable highs and lows over the 20 years. Doubling and halving trends. The new norm?

I've no idea. I recall the Nikkei and Dow were not so long at parroty (RAWWWK!) The Nikkei has a way to go from looking quite depressed. I have only been index watching for a short time, and I am not sure if history will repeat itself.

Perhaps one of you more knowledgable types can enlighten me.

Why do the exchange rates with banks and such, take so long to catch up to the market rate?

NAB is still today only 98c AUS to USD

Is there a lag for some reason?

Perhaps one of you more knowledgable types can enlighten me.

Why do the exchange rates with banks and such, take so long to catch up to the market rate?

NAB is still today only 98c AUS to USD

Is there a lag for some reason?

Probably due to lack of competition, they can afford to give you a sh!t rate. Have you tried the post office? I believe that they charge less than the banks.

They never catch up with the market rate. It is the natural spread to allow the broker to make a profit.

Looks like Ben plans to inflate away all RE problems in the US! I could imagine similar action by an Australian government/RBA under similar pressure.

post-148-029725600 1289096215_thumb.jpg

post-148-018263200 1289096223_thumb.jpg

The chinese market looks like it wants to rally as well. If so, I wonder of the chinese will loosen credit again. That would make commodity prices rise even further!

The chinese market is rallying and that means demand for our rocks!

post-148-009426000 1289096689_thumb.jpg

post-148-069057600 1289096698_thumb.jpg

Looks like Ben plans to inflate away all RE problems in the US! I could imagine similar action by an Australian government/RBA under similar pressure.

post-103-092280200 1289099818_thumb.jpg

The advantage of modern technology is that you don't even have to waste time, paper & ink printing the stuff. Ben just adds a few extra zeroes at the end of an editable field and voila! :furious:

One can only hope that at the end the market wins and removes all the inflationary excesses that central banks' policies generate. But that may take a while. Whilst the 2007 top is not exceeded, the bears can claim to still being in a secular bear market and we head in a downward yo-yo for the next few years. I'm just glad not being being a long term holder of equities and instead hold them for shorter periods of time whilst the trend is your friend!

Shanghai took a bath today. Down 5.16%

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Mainland Chinese shares suffered their worst decline in more than a year on Friday, as fear of aggressive rate hikes and the impact of the U.S. dollar's rise triggered a sell-off across sectors. But Macquarie strategist Michael Kurtz says the fall was unlikely to be the beginning of a bear market, given strong liquidity conditions.

If Macquarie says its not a top, then it is IMO.

Yep, Shanghai stuffed, Shenzhen down 6.1%, Dow futures down 110 points, Europe down early 1.5% - 2.5%, copper (my fave) down 2.8%, gold down 22 bucks/oz or 1.5%, and oil down 2.5%. Not much redeeming about those numbers.

This one has a more personal touch! ^_^

Given his disgust for bankers and central banks, I don't know if it is ironic or misguided to have selected Andrew Jackson for the rolls.