Max Carnage

I like trees and I like shrubs and plants and trees and shrubs and plants

36 posts in this topic

Nice photos. What filter did you use to get the effects on the 'Leather bottle creek' photo?

+1 - that's a real beauty.

Thanks. It's a standard polarised filter. Handheld shot. I think it's darker so the exposure is longer.

Thanks. It's a standard polarised filter. Handheld shot. I think it's darker so the exposure is longer.

Is that all? Looking at how the water turbulence turned out, I thought you were using some type of special effects filter. Maybe it was as a result of the longer exposure.

Nice shot. :thumbsup:

Went for a drive around the snowy mountains today and took some nice picks. Got all four seasons and the place is stunning after all the rain.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm a keen photographer, but in not necessarily a "good" photographer. :-)

This shot was taken in RE town where believe it or not, the tree in question actually drowned. Never the less I feel that it does have some artistic merit.

116ea738.jpg

As you might see from the trees in the background, although we live in a relatively dry area (470mm p/a) we do have many beautiful trees, mainly eucalypts.

All trees in the town are planted as this area was noted in the Journal of the explorer Edward John Eyre, as being completely devoid of trees save one gum in the local creek and a few straggly Banksias on the stony ridges.

I feel that the photo below is somewhat more representative of the town itself, although greenery gets a bit more sparse in the farming areas.

031e4546.jpg

Edited by Popeye

I dunno if this is going to work, but here is a link to a panorama of my home town, where the planting of trees started 120 years ago and has made a huge difference during the span of my memory

30914335.jpg

t looks like I've stuffed up,.... but I guess you'll get the idea if you use the slider button at the bottom of the page.

Edited by Popeye

Is that all? Looking at how the water turbulence turned out, I thought you were using some type of special effects filter. Maybe it was as a result of the longer exposure.

Nice shot. :thumbsup:

That's it. Very little jiggery-pokery. It's a nice spot to photograph. Combined with very forgiving cameras it's a winning combination.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm a keen photographer, but in not necessarily a "good" photographer. :-)

You're very welcome.

I like the panorama. Is that software?

My current holy grail is one of those starscape shots. You know the ones where you can see the stars rotate around a fixed point (I think it's the south celestial pole) I've got the tripod, the remote and some free fractal software and now all I need is a clear night.

You're very welcome.

I like the panorama. Is that software?

My current holy grail is one of those starscape shots. You know the ones where you can see the stars rotate around a fixed point (I think it's the south celestial pole) I've got the tripod, the remote and some free fractal software and now all I need is a clear night.

I use MGI Photovista. It's as old as dirt, but works well on Win 7 (32 bit). It's great strengths are it's alignment and rendering power.

I am told that those star shots require absolute pitch black darkness as well as a clear sky. The slightest bit of atmospheric haze or dust will result in bright patches from the reflected lights of even small towns as much as 50 miles away with long exposures. After being told that, I have given up on it.

I dunno if this is going to work, but here is a link to a panorama of my home town, where the planting of trees started 120 years ago and has made a huge difference during the span of my memory

30914335.jpg

t looks like I've stuffed up,.... but I guess you'll get the idea if you use the slider button at the bottom of the page.

Nah, you haven't stuffed up. It's a great pic (if a little bit linear on-screen) and so very mid-north in it's feel.

I can't tell which town it is, but it looks like one of those great little places I used to hoon around as a newly employed graduate.

(With a gubby car and a head full of book-learning I was supposed to be advising farmers. God only knows what they made of me back then.)

The scenery was great and that area through the mid-north and mallee gets under your skin. I took some great pics of crops, deserted farmhouses and wildlife - all with the gubby camera, of course...

Nah, you haven't stuffed up. It's a great pic (if a little bit linear on-screen) and so very mid-north in it's feel.

I can't tell which town it is, but it looks like one of those great little places I used to hoon around as a newly employed graduate.

(With a gubby car and a head full of book-learning I was supposed to be advising farmers. God only knows what they made of me back then.)

The scenery was great and that area through the mid-north and mallee gets under your skin. I took some great pics of crops, deserted farmhouses and wildlife - all with the gubby camera, of course...

I may be biased, but I feel it is the centre of the civilised universe. Small enough to be personal, and large enough to have most of the things one needs in life, a decent shopping centre, medical, dental, veterinary services and a low crime rate. The trouble being that this is attracting a lot of new residents and already our town council is becoming a bit of a self serving bureaucracy.(lots of staff, no service).

having spent most of my working life at sea, I have seen a lot of the world, but nothing that has ever made me want to move away.

I am a member of our local history group, and also have a thing about old farm houses and outbuildings. Three years ago I walked around the town and photographed every home and business which i have since put into an access database. There's something about old ruins that makes me think, "Once upon a time, this pile of old stone was probably some family's dream home, I wonder what their hopes and dreams were"

One of my neighbours across the road, is an agronomist for PIRSA, your modern day equivalent. :-)

Edited by Popeye