tor

The Mandatory recipe Thread

1013 posts in this topic

Hmmm. Rabbit fishing. ^_^

Les chance of drowning than trusting yourself to tinpushers carpentry skills :)

Have made this quite a few times now. Mainly in winter with Chicken paprikash. It's pretty rich but tastes great and is quite frugal into the bargain if you grow your own herbs.

The chicken dish is also very simple and I dare say can be done in an electric fry pan. I know why those hungarian paprika packets are so big. You can use a HEAP of it and not ruin the dish. But try the 3-4 Tbsp first to check it out.

Herbed Spatzle

500 – 700g plain flour

4 eggs

60ml cream

touch of pepper

touch of nutmeg

1 bunch parsley chopped

Salt to taste

Sauce for Frying Spatzle

knob of butter

splash of oil

Sliced garlic clove

Salt & pepper to taste

Method

Mix flour, eggs & cream.

Add nutmeg,

chopped parsley and salt and leave to rest for 1 hour to form a very stiff batter. You need a firm mix.

Pour some of the mixture onto a flat wooden board, using a spatula and getting as close as you can to the boiling salted water, flick small amounts of batter into a pan of boiling salted water until they float. Remove individual spatzle from boiling water and & drain.

Sauce for Spatzle

Heat butter and oil until it is “nut brown” add the sliced garlic (Some herbs in the oil romemary, thyme even sage would work) and toss in the Spatzle.

Fry until golden.

Chicken Paprikash

This recipe is barely any more complicated than chopping things up and boiling them in a pot. If I use store-bought spaetzel, I can make a complete pot of paprikash and have all the dishes cleaned in 45 minutes.

Ingredients:

24 oz. (1.5 lbs) boneless skinless chicken breasts

12 oz. sour cream

48 oz. chicken broth

1 onion

3-4 tablespoons Hungarian paprika

2 tablespoon garlic

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ginger

2 bay leaves

corn starch (or preferably potato starch, if you have access to a health food store)

olive oil

1 Fudgesicle

Make spaetzel; put in a bowl. Alternatively, you can buy spaetzel from the store, or prepare any type of noodles you prefer.

Chop up the chicken breasts into small pieces.

Put the chicken and garlic in a pot; sautee in olive oil.

Chop up the onion into small pieces.

Put the onions and some chicken broth into the pot. For now, use just enough broth to keep everything submerged, but don't flood it. You should have some broth left over (maybe around 16 ounces); the remaining broth will be used below.

Stir in the other spices (paprika, salt, black pepper, ginger, bay leaves).

Simmer to let the chicken and onions cook thoroughly. While it's all cooking, eat the Fudgesicle.

When the chicken and onions are fully cooked, add the starch as a thickening agent, by mixing it into the remaining broth and pouring it into the pot. (If you're out of broth, use water; but ideally you will have exactly enough broth for this.) Remove from heat and let it thicken.

Finally, mix in the sour cream, and it's ready to serve over spaetzel.

MMMMM

Other spins to put on the basic recipe:

Fry the chicken in olive oil and hot pepper first.

Add mushrooms.

Try a variety of vegetables (carrots, celery, etc).

Lots more sour cream so the sour cream flavor dominates.

Little to no sour cream.

Electric Fry Pan Fun Continues!

Another all in one type dish.

Chicken legs, beans and rice.

About 2Kg chicken legs

2 teaspooon chilli flakes

1 teaspoon chilli powder

1 teaspoon ground coriander

2 cloves garlic minced

-- Put all the above in a bag and shake-

-- Heat fry pan to top temp and put some oil and fry the chicken and spices til brown. Drop temperature to medium.

1 Red onion sliced

1 Red Capsicum sliced

400g tin of tomatoes chopped (I use a mouli)

2 x 300g jars of salsa (I used one spicy and one mild)

Stock, water from rinsing salsa jars

-- add to pan with chicken still in. Simmer for an hour or so.

400g tin Red kidney beans drained and rinsed

1/2 cup of rice

-- add to pan. cook another 20 minutes or so til rice is good. I tried to ensure there was a bit of sloppiness to it still, I didn't want a stodgy mass.

Chopped fresh coriander

-- put food on plate with coriander on top.

Turned out quite good, was based on a recipe in one of those "how to cook for you family" woolworths magazines, I doubled most of the spices.

I must remember to trim the knuckle of the chicken in future, it really annoys me having that in there. I love the way the chicken shrinks down on the bone when I do that too.

Pretty good meal in that it is mostly stuff I tend to hoard and buy when it is on mega special.

I shall tell you my recipe for Beef & Potatoe curry ? This is very good recipe.. long time cooking & so delicious ? Shall I post this ?

I shall tell you my recipe for Beef & Potatoe curry ? This is very good recipe.. long time cooking & so delicious ? Shall I post this ?

go nuts! if it doubles in size every 7 hours so much the better :P

It is what the thread is for. We like delicious and I like long time cooking.

Individual Beef Wellingtons

• One whole Rib Fillet (tender grassfed - the good stuff. I can get a good one for $18/kg from a local butchery)
  • Pate
  • Mushroom Duxelles
  • Sheets of premade puff pastry
  • Two Eggs beaten

Mushroom Duxelles:

1 Cup of Finely chopped Shallots

200 grams of finely chopped mushrooms

In a heavy saucepan combine the two indredients in and saute in butter adding a good splash of White wine and Lemon Juice.

Beef Welly Pre prep (the day before)

Set aside puff pastry sheets to thaw.

Slice Fillet into THICK steaks (approx 1 1/2 inches or 3.5cm)

Saute on a hot cast iron pan/barbecue for 1Min a side to seal (no more!) - set all aside and allow to cool.

Slice Pate into thin slices.

Place steak onto Puff pastry, top with a layer of sliced pate and then the Duxelles layer. Fold, wrap and seal pastry (seal with a little water on contact surfaces and press gently).

Repeat for all.

Dinner day.

Brush Wellies with beaten egg liberally and bake at 220C on baking paper fan forced until golden brown. Serve with skin on roasted (liberally coated via tossing with extra virgin pre roasting) baby taters and garlic beans and a boozy sauce (red wine, port and brandy base) and a nice Shiraz to quaff.

The Wellies will keep for a few days.

Has anyone made anything that someone else has posted??

Yep, I have made a few things from here and used a few others as base recipes which I have fiddled with.

Yep, I have made a few things from here and used a few others as base recipes which I have fiddled with.

Oh good I'm feeling a bit slack that I haven't done so. I will try a couple of yours because I can see your passionate and therefore they're probably going to be good recipes.

Maybe you should give the posters some feedback?

i made tor's beef bourginon (or however its spelt). i think it was good, but i sampled too much of the wine while making it to be sure. the family ate it without cringing though, which is usually a good sign. though i combined bits of his recipe up with a couple of others...

i made tor's beef bourginon (or however its spelt). i think it was good, but i sampled too much of the wine while making it to be sure. the family ate it without cringing though, which is usually a good sign. though i combined bits of his recipe up with a couple of others...

Aha, in true Tor style!!

Unfortunately most people here have posted very nice looking recipes with pepper or *gasp* chili in and I live in a house with irritating wusses who either pick out any visible pepper (and then add cracked black pepper to other food because it is 'different' when it is on tomatoes) or complain at the slightest whiff of heat in food. Grrr. I need to start training the 1.6 smaller people to eat hot food.

I have food with chili in it when I eat out, or if I make a meal for one ...

Unfortunately most people here have posted very nice looking recipes with pepper or *gasp* chili in and I live in a house with irritating wusses who either pick out any visible pepper (and then add cracked black pepper to other food because it is 'different' when it is on tomatoes) or complain at the slightest whiff of heat in food. Grrr. I need to start training the 1.6 smaller people to eat hot food.

I have food with chili in it when I eat out, or if I make a meal for one ...

I feel your pain. My solution is a bottle of sriracha, a thai hot sauce which you can get in the shops in chinatown or down Hanson Rd. It is tasty, strong, cheap and goes with just about everything. I guess tabasco might work too, but it isn't as tasty. Sriracha makes even plastic cheese sandwiches edible.

And you could try converting the kids by stealth, sweet chili sauce got both of mine eventually, with the oldest one graduating to peri-peri sauce and finally sriracha (attaboy, son!)

I made Tors KFC coleslaw at Xmas and my neighbour was so impressed that she asked for the recipe. I am mainly after any cool tips that people have discovered that I can incorporate into my own method. It's why I liked the bread baking thread. I've been cooking for years and have had a crack at most things and now have less failures than successes. All the same you can always pick up something new.

I feel your pain. My solution is a bottle of sriracha, a thai hot sauce which you can get in the shops in chinatown or down Hanson Rd. It is tasty, strong, cheap and goes with just about everything. I guess tabasco might work too, but it isn't as tasty. Sriracha makes even plastic cheese sandwiches edible.

And you could try converting the kids by stealth, sweet chili sauce got both of mine eventually, with the oldest one graduating to peri-peri sauce and finally sriracha (attaboy, son!)

Sriracha is HOT. Another good source of hot is that chinese chiili paste in a jar (in oil) that comes in several varieties (peanuts, black bean, plain, and a weird meat variety) great with dry fried chilli beef and other szechwan dishes.

Edit: Almost forgot Ferns mango and chilli chutney. Great with cheese sangers.

Edited by staringclown

Habanero. You NEED Habaneros in a sauce.

Blend a few with some vinegar, add some water, sugar, some Five Spice powder and some chopped mango (and paw paw if handy). Simmer, then blend again in batches, bottle

Good for rubbing onto chicken pieces (with slits in skin/flesh) before barbecuing....Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

Its gotta be rip your tonsils out hot.

See Scoville...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale#List_of_Scoville_ratings

Habanero. You NEED Habaneros in a sauce.

Blend a few with some vinegar, add some water, sugar, some Five Spice powder and some chopped mango (and paw paw if handy). Simmer, then blend again in batches, bottle

Good for rubbing onto chicken pieces (with slits in skin/flesh) before barbecuing....Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

Its gotta be rip your tonsils out hot.

See Scoville...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale#List_of_Scoville_ratings

I've used allspice rather than the five spice and made jerk pork. Haven't tried the mango or paw paw. Although I have used paw paw in some Indian dishes (Bihari kebab) because it is a great meat tenderiser. Have some milk handy for the habaneros. :furious:

I've used allspice rather than the five spice and made jerk pork. Haven't tried the mango or paw paw. Although I have used paw paw in some Indian dishes (Bihari kebab) because it is a great meat tenderiser. Have some milk handy for the habaneros. :furious:

Yeah sorry, it was All Spice. Yes, very good on Pork chops (again some slits to soak some sauce).

I grow Habs, Cayennes, Thai birds eyes and New Guinea birds eyes. I have about two chilli free days a week.

It is common for people to experience pleasurable and even euphoriant effects from eating capsaicin-flavored foods. Folklore among self-described "pepperheads" attributes this to pain-stimulated release of endorphins, a different mechanism from the local receptor overload that makes capsaicin effective as a topical analgesic. In support of this theory, there is some evidence that the effect can be blocked by naloxone and other compounds that compete for receptor sites with endorphins and opiates.

I'm trying to get my hands on some Chipotles (smoked Jalapeno) in Australia if anyone sees them we can do business. Please let me know if you've ever seen them. :thumbsup:

Along with unsweetened cocoa they are a must in many genuine Mexican cooking dishes.

See Mole Negro...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28sauce%29#Mole_Negro

Yeah sorry, it was All Spice. Yes, very good on Pork chops (again some slits to soak some sauce).

I grow Habs, Cayennes, Thai birds eyes and New Guinea birds eyes. I have about two chilli free days a week.

I'm trying to get my hands on some Chipotles (smoked Jalapeno) in Australia if anyone sees them we can do business. Please let me know if you've ever seen them. :thumbsup:

Along with unsweetened cocoa they are a must in many genuine Mexican cooking dishes.

See Mole Negro...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28sauce%29#Mole_Negro

I get my mexican stuff from aztec foods in sydney. Tomatillas, all kinds of chillies (pasilla, ancho, chipotle, habanero etc in jars and dried) nopalitos (cactus) and scorpion candy! Anything mexican you want they have.

Heaps cheaper than any retailer (The essential/vital ingredient) They ship to anywhere in oz and when it arrives it's like a mini xmas. link

This isn't really recipe-thread worthy, but i will throw it in anyway.bread/goat cheese/tomato appetizer.

make some french/rustic bread (see bread thread) slice it about a 1/3rd of an inch thick. heat some olive oil on a frypan. toss in a good amount of oregano. let the oregano cook a little bit (1 min?) then toss in the bread (rubbing it around pan to coat it well but not so much it gets soggy.

fry the bread on the oil/oregano side down till its browning at the edges and toasty. i prefer to let the "main" side soak up most of the oil and flavour and then toast the opposite side mostly dry... but to each his own. when you are done pop the bread on a rack to cool. this can be made waaaaay before the actual eating time.

as far as labour goes, that's the main bit - i have small frying pan and an electric stovetop so it takes longer than i would like. a gas stovetop and bigger (thin) frypan would make this a lot quicker. i'm very fussy when it comes to bread and, imho, you need some good rustic/french bread with nice big holes to make this work well. but again, that's a matter of taste.

the rest is just toppings.i used mini tomatoes because thats what we have in our garden. slice em in half, stick em in a bowl. grabs some fresh basil off the basil plant (don't be stingy) and chop it up coarsely or just pull it apart, toss it in the bowl with the tomatoes, drizzle olive oil over it with some salt & pepper (in my case tomatoes weren't as ripe as i would've liked so i tossed in a bit of sugar as well--seemed to work ok). mix it all up and let it sit for at least 30 mins.

i didn't think of it at the time but i reckon that very, very (translucent) thinly sliced spanish onion would be good too. capers added at the end as well if u like em.when people start getting hungry and start grumbling that the roast isnt ready (it never is), pull out the goat cheese (i used a soft-ish dill-goat cheese - man, it was good), spread a goodish bit on the bread, top with tomato mixture and that's that.

a good way to shut people up when they are hungry. or something for you to eat on your own as you slave away in the kitchen.

**disclaimer:you could serve me goat cheese on a piece of plywood and i would think it tastes great. i love goat cheese. perhaps one reason i love it is that it covers a multitude of sins - if you screw up the first 12 steps of a recipe but use goat cheese on the 13th you'll probably be ok.

Anyone know a good pretzel recipe? Have a desire for good ropy thick chewy bastards. Any recipe referring to weisswurst and hefe gets bonus credibility.