tor

The Mandatory recipe Thread

1034 posts in this topic

I am bound to say that the best porridge i have ever experienced was with Anders in Brissy. His delightful partner, I hadn't met met before, but Ms clown and I had the best time. We wanted to stay for lunch.

Canada is not famous for food. Maple Syrup sure (and believe me -everything- at the supermarket has a maple syrup version) and poutine is rightfully famous.

But there is another thing which, I think, is even better. Sandwich Au Poulet Chaud. Hot Chicken Sandwich.

You get some chicken and make it hot. Versions range from supermarket crappy rotisserie all the way to portuguese flame style (and damn these guys love their portugese chicken).

Take the bones out of the chicken. Or the meat off the bones. Whichever way.

Chuck the meat in a pot with peas and brown gravy. The gravy is basically the same as poutine gravy most places. Think of RSL Roast Of The Day gravy. It ain't fancy.

Put a slice of bread on a plate.

Pour most of the chicken peas and gravy on top.

Put another slice of bread on top.

Pour the rest of the chicken peas and gravy on top.

I suspect even "Baked Beans Anders" would be capable of this one... For me the peas are the most important part. You want good ones.

2020-03-31_DSC00849.JPG

That looks delicious. I love that RSL gravy. I know I can make better at home using roast drippings, but even so, RSL gravy is best with schnitzel and chips. I wish I knew how they made it. Some kind of gravox thing I suspect - with something else though because gravox does not taste quite the same. 

Yeah the RSL gravy with "sitting juices under a heat lamp for 12 hrs roast beef" was the first thing I got when we were back in Aus last :)

The gravy here you can buy in the supermarket (St Herbets is my favourite). I have been reading a few recipes though as it is more peppery than RSL gravy. This one is sort of close:

750 mL (3 cups) cold water
30 mL (2 tbsp.) Liquid concentrated chicken broth (those little punnets of jelly like stock - pretty sure I could get them in Aus)
45 mL (3 tbsp) red ketchup
2 g (1/2 tsp) onion powder
40 g (2 heaping tablespoons) cornstarch
1 g (1/4 tsp) Allspice
2 g (1/2 tsp.) Paprika powder
cayenne powder (optional)
salt to taste

I do the everything except water and flour together in a bit of fat / butter / roast juices and cook a little then add the flour and water mixed over it and it browns up okay.

My google map says I have not left the house in over a month!

As a result of getting close to caught out by this event (we are in an airbnb and they usually have assorted cooking items and I bought a few things before the lockdown started) I have decided to make a travelling cooking kit.

So far I have:

• One santoku style cheap knife with a self sharpening sheath
  • A vege cutter thing, sort of like a manual blender
  • A bamboo chopping board
  • A teaspoon
  • Salt and Pepper grinder (and a reminder in my calendar to fill them before flying anywhere)
  • A thermometer

Anyone have ideas which would be useful, lightweight and almost certainly not available or not good enough when travelling?

I did get some collapsible measuring spoons but I haven't used them so I figure they are pointless to carry.

I’d have to have a wok. It steams, bbqs, fry’s, deep fry’s and if you strap it to your back it acts as a shield. If David Carradine didn’t carry one he should have.

I'd like a wok but a lot of places we go have electric or induction cook tops. I hate flat bottom woks and electric is not even worth bothering with for a wok in any sense outside of being a funny shaped fry pan.

I think I am going to add a grater to my list I bought a cheap one here and do use it at least twice a week and there is no other replacement I can think of for it.

14 hours ago, tor said:

I'd like a wok but a lot of places we go have electric or induction cook tops. I hate flat bottom woks and electric is not even worth bothering with for a wok in any sense outside of being a funny shaped fry pan.

I think I am going to add a grater to my list I bought a cheap one here and do use it at least twice a week and there is no other replacement I can think of for it.

Flat bottom girls they make the woking world go round. 

On 5/30/2020 at 10:13 AM, zaph said:

Flat bottom girls they make the woking world go round. 

Owwww!!!