tor

The Mandatory recipe Thread

1013 posts in this topic

Long time no cookie. Been to flat out at work for months haven't done much cooking of note. Pressure is finally coming off a bit thanks be to jebus. B)

I have an Oktoberfest on the weekend and so am looking to do some sauerkraut and anything german. Thinking about doing a bienenstich (beesting) cake (honey almond bready thing sandwiching a thick custard).

I've been told by a german friend that pigs trotters are traditional. I'm not keen because I don't want to take a dish that no one else is going to eat. Plus I don't think I can source any trotters.

Anyone have any good (relatively easy - I've only got saturday) german recipes?

Anyone have any good (relatively easy - I've only got saturday) german recipes?

The pork with apple / mustard sauce and red cabbage is kind of germanic. Keeps warm pretty well and was easy enough to do it for bunches of people if you make lots more sauce to keep the pork hidden in (if you wanted to go bain marie style).

The pork with apple / mustard sauce and red cabbage is kind of germanic. Keeps warm pretty well and was easy enough to do it for bunches of people if you make lots more sauce to keep the pork hidden in (if you wanted to go bain marie style).

Cheers mate. I found a recipe for pork loins done on a plank of maple wood with maple syrup (brined) and then maple syrup and mustard sauce but was worried it would dry out before I could transport it to the venue. Serving with the cabbage is likely a good method of keeping the moisture in during transport. I bought some planks a while back and baked in the Kamado shifting the coals to one side to get the indirect heat could work nicely. :) Been dying to try the method.

Cheers mate. I found a recipe for pork loins done on a plank of maple wood with maple syrup (brined) and then maple syrup and mustard sauce but was worried it would dry out before I could transport it to the venue. Serving with the cabbage is likely a good method of keeping the moisture in during transport. I bought some planks a while back and baked in the Kamado shifting the coals to one side to get the indirect heat could work nicely. :) Been dying to try the method.

Have you tried maple planked salmon? I had forgotten about that one; pretty straightforward and a-w-e-s-o-m-e. -BBQ Galore has planks, I believe.

Have you tried maple planked salmon? I had forgotten about that one; pretty straightforward and a-w-e-s-o-m-e. -BBQ Galore has planks, I believe.

Got the planks and the bulk costco maple syrup. All I need is the salmon and time. :)

All right; I'll do some research. This one is not difficult.

Soak yer planks. Arrr.

No pictures but a perfect outcome last night. This is an easy one!

Get the planks at BBQs Galore. I soaked for 2 hrs in the sink.

Preheat BBQ to 220C, indirect heat.

Take salmon fillets, wash, pull out the wee bones, pat dry.

Massage fillets with olive oil, liberal salt and pepper.

Swab fillets generously with maple syrup

Take soaked planks, pat them dry.

Place coarse salt on the planks (just some, you don't need a bed of salt etc)

Place salmon skin side down on planks.

Place on grill (not directly over the fire).

No peeking; you are hot smoking these...I let 'em go for 23mins. Perfect!

*Note: the no peeking rule is important, and the nice thing about planked salmon is if you get a fire in there you'll get LOTS of smoke and quickly...enough to rescind the no peeking rule. If you get fire a little spray bottle on the plank should be enough to get things under control.

...The plank should be charred on the edges at the end. Do not use the plank more than once.

No pictures but a perfect outcome last night. This is an easy one!

Get the planks at BBQs Galore. I soaked for 2 hrs in the sink.

Preheat BBQ to 220C, indirect heat.

Take salmon fillets, wash, pull out the wee bones, pat dry.

Massage fillets with olive oil, liberal salt and pepper.

Swab fillets generously with maple syrup

Take soaked planks, pat them dry.

Place coarse salt on the planks (just some, you don't need a bed of salt etc)

Place salmon skin side down on planks.

Place on grill (not directly over the fire).

No peeking; you are hot smoking these...I let 'em go for 23mins. Perfect!

*Note: the no peeking rule is important, and the nice thing about planked salmon is if you get a fire in there you'll get LOTS of smoke and quickly...enough to rescind the no peeking rule. If you get fire a little spray bottle on the plank should be enough to get things under control.

...The plank should be charred on the edges at the end. Do not use the plank more than once.

EDIT! 200C indirect heat ( though 220 will probably just smoke and smoulder more)

200C

TWO HUNDRED C

Anyone know of an online Spanish grocer in Australia?

Just ordered some pimenton (smoked sweet Paprika) from Espana via ebay and was drooling over the Jamon Serrano. Am going to Catalonia in November as part of rent-a-riot inc and am getting in the mood.

The vendor will ship the Serrano to Oz and was wondering if there is anyone local.

Anyone know of an online Spanish grocer in Australia?

I've shopped here a few times for calasparra rice, which sometimes they have, sometimes they don't. Neat little shop with all sorts of imported delights but also a deli. They're in Melbourne...it does not look like they have an online shop but they might deliver a phone order?

Casa Iberica

I've shopped here a few times for calasparra rice, which sometimes they have, sometimes they don't. Neat little shop with all sorts of imported delights but also a deli. They're in Melbourne...it does not look like they have an online shop but they might deliver a phone order?

Casa Iberica

Mucos gracias senor. That Jambon Iberico is so special. Wild boar caught young and fed on just acorns.

I've been getting into this on Tuesday nights:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201210/programs/ZX6437A003D2012-10-02T203344.htm

Mucos gracias senor. That Jambon Iberico is so special. Wild boar caught young and fed on just acorns.

I've been getting into this on Tuesday nights:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201210/programs/ZX6437A003D2012-10-02T203344.htm

I like the show. The food is excellent. I'm not fond of Prick Stein. Always found him a bit of a twat.

Dose is right though. Casa Iberica is the best spanish deli in the country. They have a shop in Johnston St Carlton. (Where the annual spanish festival is held) The scent as you enter is a little piece of Spain. Except they are solvent. Best custard tarts ever and the Jamon is superb. :)

Summertime is coming.

I'm putting this one into play only because I've recently had an in-law ask for the recipe, which in my book means two things; 1) not all potato salads are equal and 2) not everyone has a good base recipe to build from. So here goes...

The Not All Salads are Equal Potato Salad

Ingredients:

Salad potatoes i.e. red ruby or similar, half a bag or so

2 stalks Celery incl. leafy tops chopped

Prosciutto, 3 big strips or similar, pan-fried and chopped

3 eggs, boiled, chopped

2 good spoonfuls Mayo

fresh dill chopped

fresh broad leaf parsley chopped

half cup or so Dill pickle juice...thinning and flavour agent so adjust accordingly

Salt and Pepper

dash American Mustard

cream + milk (if non-pickle juice thinning is required)

Boil the eggs. (I place mine in cold water, get to boiling, turn off heat and cover for 15min. Then replace with cold water to cool...perfect)

Peel the potatoes, simmer and remove from hot water just before they start getting soft (they will continue to cook a bit while cooling)

Fry the ham! Tough to get crispy but "tough" is OK...chop up smallish

Combine all above, refrigerate ~4 hours, enjoy.

Summertime is coming.

I'm putting this one into play only because I've recently had an in-law ask for the recipe, which in my book means two things; 1) not all potato salads are equal and 2) not everyone has a good base recipe to build from. So here goes...

The Not All Salads are Equal Potato Salad

Ingredients:

Salad potatoes i.e. red ruby or similar, half a bag or so

2 stalks Celery incl. leafy tops chopped

Prosciutto, 3 big strips or similar, pan-fried and chopped

3 eggs, boiled, chopped

2 good spoonfuls Mayo

fresh dill chopped

fresh broad leaf parsley chopped

half cup or so Dill pickle juice...thinning and flavour agent so adjust accordingly

Salt and Pepper

dash American Mustard

cream + milk (if non-pickle juice thinning is required)

Boil the eggs. (I place mine in cold water, get to boiling, turn off heat and cover for 15min. Then replace with cold water to cool...perfect)

Peel the potatoes, simmer and remove from hot water just before they start getting soft (they will continue to cook a bit while cooling)

Fry the ham! Tough to get crispy but "tough" is OK...chop up smallish

Combine all above, refrigerate ~4 hours, enjoy.

I like the sound of your Orwellian salad. It sounds similar to one I do. I haven't tried the pickle juice though. I also sub shallots for the celery and use only mayonnaise (no milk + cream). Will definitely try. ^_^

Tonight I'm making turkish rice. It's a first time recipe for me. I love the turkish rice from Alaysia on Sydney road. I'm hoping that it's the same.

Recipe:

1/2 cup risoni pasta.

1 Tbsp butter

1 cup long grain rice

1 chicken stock cube (massel)

enough water to cover the rices by 1.5 cm

Fry the risoni in the butter until the risoni is golden

Add the rice and stock cube

Add the water

Cook by absorption method (covered) for 15 minutes on very low heat. Let sit for another 15 off the heat.

Serve with moroccan chicken

4 chicken thighs

2 tsp ras el hanout spice mix

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp rose water

Juice of a lemon

1 tsp sesame oil

Combine all ingredients into a marinade and leave chicken for at least 4 hours and preferably 24 hours.

Fry in small amount olive oil till cooked

Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and olives sprinked with lemon and olive oil. Yoghurt would be good as well.

Tonight I'm making turkish rice. It's a first time recipe for me. I love the turkish rice from Alaysia on Sydney road. I'm hoping that it's the same.

Recipe:

1/2 cup risoni pasta.

1 Tbsp butter

1 cup long grain rice

1 chicken stock cube (massel)

enough water to cover the rices by 1.5 cm

Fry the risoni in the butter until the risoni is golden

Add the rice and stock cube

Add the water

Cook by absorption method (covered) for 15 minutes on very low heat. Let sit for another 15 off the heat.

That sir, is the secret recipe of Rice-a-Roni. It was right there, the while time. I added chopped mushrooms...and...oh my...the San Francisco Treat!

Right in front of me the whole time and I never saw it.

That's why I like this place.

Edited by Dose

That sir, is the secret recipe of Rice-a-Roni. It was right there, the while time. I added chopped mushrooms...and...oh my...the San Francisco Treat!

Right in front of me the whole time and I never saw it.

That's why I like this place.

I thought it was pretty close to the turkish I remembered. I love Rice-a-Riso (as it is called in this country) and I didn't make the connection either.

A couple of improvements I learned from the experience. I would cook the rice in salt reduced stock as I added two stock cubes and the rice remained a bit hard in the centre. Salt does this to beans as well. You can always add the salt at the end. Apart from that it was very pleasing indeed. (I added an extra Tbsp of butter as well)

Speaking of beans Ms clown has made the Rick Stein spanish white bean stew recipe tonight. ^_^

Fabada (Asturian bean and sausage stew) (serves 2-4)

Ingredients:

1/2lb dried large white beans

1 head garlic, outer paper removed but still whole

1 large onion, peeled but whole

1 Spanish chorizo

1 morcilla

1/2 lb pork belly or slab bacon

1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika

1 pinch Spanish saffron

1 quart low sodium chicken stock

Recipe:

Soak beans overnight or for at least 12 hours in abundant cold water.

Put drained rehydrated beans in a large pot with the chicken stock, pork belly, chorizo and morcilla.

Bring to a boil and skim any white scum that rises to the surface.

Add garlic, onion, pimenton and saffron and reduce heat to a simmer.

Simmer gently for two hours adding more water if beans begin to dry out.

After two hours, remove meats and reserve, and remove onion and garlic and discard.

Kill heat, replace lid and allow to stew for one hour.

Bring stew back to a boil and reduce liquid (if necessary) so that stew thickens but isn’t gloopy.

Slice meats into serving portions and allow to reheat in hot stew before serving.

Serve with Spanish hard cider or any roughish table wine.

Ours looks nothing like the pictures though. Tastes good.

Green masala chicken

Thought I'd give this a go as I am bored cooking the standard tomato based curries. Basically a paste blended from fresh coriander, mint, green chillies, garlic, ginger and lemon juice.

I averaged out a bunch of on line recipes because I wasn't entirely happy with any one of them

paste:

1 bunch fresh coriander

1/2 bunch fresh mint

10 small green thai chillies (hot)

5 cloves garlic

1 inch piece of ginger

1 lemon squeezed

2 large brown onions

500g chicken thighs

spices:

1 tsp turmeric

2 tsp ground coriander

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp ground cardamom

1/2 cup chicken stock

1 cup coconut milk

salt to taste

Blend the paste ingredients.

fry the onions until soft. add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes (don't burn the onion)

Add the spice mix and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, paste and coconut milk and cook for 1/2 hour or so until the sauce thickens. serve with rice bread or whatever.

I finally made ribs last night which were more than acceptable!

Have a margarita (new girlfriend has decided this is the queen of drinks)

Start Big Green Egg, stabilise at 250F

Have a margarita (I should teach her how to make these)

Pull two slabs of ribs from fridge and put straight on Egg, no rub, no trimming, nothing. Overdo the smoking wood, probably 10 good size chunks (Hickory)

Have a couple margaritas over a couple of hours

Put ribs in tinfoil in eskie

Make the Piedmont sauce I think I posted previously

Make last margarita for the evening (these things pack a punch)

Eat ribs

Margarita:

With a slice of lime / lemon insert rim of martini glass between segments of lemon slice and wipe around rim to make it sticky

Dust with salt on the OUTSIDE of the glass only (this is vital, easiest to hold the glass upside down while throwing salt at it).

3 shots tequila (I use Jose Cuervo)

3 shots cointreau

2 shots lime cordial (using Bickford with okay results, used to only use Roses)

3 shots lemon juice (using Berri lemon squeeze, fresh juice is for chumps)

Shake the bejesus out of it, you want your hand to start sticking to the shaker because it is so cold.

Strain into two glasses.

Garnish with a tiny slice of lime for pretty girls, manly men smelling of BBQ don't need no garnish.

Have a margarita (new girlfriend has decided this is the queen of drinks)

Wow, that's happy news!

I'm so glad to hear that you have found a new favourite drink!

Wow, that's happy news!

I'm so glad to hear that you have found a new favourite drink!

:lol:

Congrats on the new GF though. :)

Thanks. Not sure which I am prouder of though, I have been trying to make acceptable ribs for longer than I have been looking for a girlfriend but I suspect I put more energy into the girlfriend search.

Pretty much glad I don't have to decide which is the greater achievement.

Bulgalbi beef short ribs

I've done these before and the recipe is here

The thing is beef short ribs have always been a bit tough in my previous efforts. Not today. I'm unsure why. It could just be that we lucked in with some better quality ribs this time.

Marinaded for 24 hours but no vinegar or alcohol was present to aid tenderisation. It didn't matter the ribs were super tender. :thumbsup:

Diced the meat on the bone into one centimetre dice to allow marinade penetration. The preparation was even burn quite hot which boosted the kamado up to 230c then I shut it down for about half an hour. It went down to 150c stable so I placed the bone side down for 40 minutes over direct coals. Turned the meat over for the last 20 minutes. rested for 10 minutes. Damn it is good.

Definitely worth a try.

beefshortribs.jpg

Other efforts this weekend were also successful.

Did a baked custard on low heat and it worked a treat. Truth be told it was a bet with Ms clown that I could beat her latest baked custard effort (which was grainy)

7 free range egg yokes

125g castor sugar

300 ml pouring cream

300 ml full cream milk

1 vanilla pod

Heat the milk cream and vanilla pod till almost boiling (Don't boil)

Beat the eggs and sugar till combined

Pour the heated milk into the egg/sugar mixture through a strainer

pour into buttered ramekins and bake at 120c (low temp means no graininess) in a bain marie (water bath half way up the ramekins) for 50 minutes (or until set) Set is when the custard doesn't behave like a liquid anymore (except for a tiny bit in the centre - shake the tray and you'll see what I mean)

cool - put in fridge until set (2 hours) - Apply some sugar and blow torch for creme brulee - or just eat with fruit

Creamiest custard ever. :)

I did an annual health check-up for the first time in my life. Thought it is probably prudent to do at this stage in life.

My doctor says my cholesterol is really high. He wants to take another blood test in a few weeks and if it is still high then I need to take cholesterol medicine.

Boo!

Fine food and drink are some of the few pleasures in life. It really sucks to have to live on lettuce and raw veggies to live longer.

Maybe French cooking is OK? The French seem to live long despite their wonderful high-fat food.

Fine food and drink are some of the few pleasures in life. It really sucks to have to live on lettuce and raw veggies to live longer.

Just try eating a garden salad as a side dish with most main meals. thumbsup.gif

I did an annual health check-up for the first time in my life. Thought it is probably prudent to do at this stage in life.

My doctor says my cholesterol is really high. He wants to take another blood test in a few weeks and if it is still high then I need to take cholesterol medicine.

Boo!

Maybe French cooking is OK? The French seem to live long despite their wonderful high-fat food.

The question you need to be asking Anders is what it is you are living for? Back in the 70's you would have been drinking beer and eating T-bones and enjoying your life. Once you start taking tests (and associated drugs) you start on the slippery path to worrying about your longevity but not enjoying your life. By all means exercise because that adds to your quality of life but what ever you do don't become a slave to a "healthy" lifestyle. You'll end up being far less fun and you will create a need to increase the national health budget. Mortality is part of life. The end part. :) Don't live in fear.