jp1746

HI ALL !

59 posts in this topic

Hi All;

As you probably know or suspect, GHPC is compromised and most likely permanently so. Probably consa has sold out to the interests that have been trying to bring it down for some time. OK - well, that's their bussiness.

Only problem is, that GHPC ranked fairly high in the google enquiry stakes. Consequently, a very prominent source of Australian house price discussion has been removed form the public domain, which, of course, was the initial intention of those who have brought it down. OK - well, that's their bussiness.

However, others, as concerned citizens, and possessed of some degree of morality, need to consider restoring the balance and putting house price crash / bubble / boom / doom information up there again, and readily available to any enquirer.

So is this forum it ? Which is it ? So many have sprung up, that a coordinated effort needs to be made by trusted long term members of GHPC to pick one, and promote it / use it to the effect that it gains prominence.

I don't care which, but we need to do something to counter this fowl deed that has been done by the industry interests.

RumpledElf, this forum seems to work fine, but allow me to give you some suggestions / observations.

- I googled house price crash / australian house prices, and variations of that theme, and this forum did not come up once, in any of the 100 results. We are hardly going to expose information to the broader public in this way. Don't take this as a critisism, (or the following) but it's the reality of the situation.

- Appearance; it does not appear as a bussiness minded forum, and would not appeal to bussiness types. Images of engorged capsicums and cucumbers are of no great interest to savvy housing types, keen to gain info / insight into the Australian housing market. DO NOT get me wrong here, RE - I appluad your sustainability mentality - I'm an avid organic veggie grower myself (and have said so for years on GHPC) - I spend an average of 2 hours or more every morning doing my veggies.

But most bussiness types who turned up here would think you all a bunch of watermelons and not come again.

- OK - unrelated, here's another tip. PM's thru the (you know what) are very likely to be seriously compromised.

That it for now. Keep the end goal in mind - mine is to bring active, prominemt housing price discussion back into the public domain.

Please fell free to PM me, anyone.

I think the only thing that's keeping people from coming here is the layout. It's not too bad, but those buttons on the far left of the posting list are horrible, and maybe there shouldn't be so many main subjects, you're going from two, the main Australian house price bit and the off topic bit to about 10 or so. Makes it a bit overwhelming imo. Seeing as there's probably only 50 or so Aussie posters across ghpc, this forum and that invision forum it's not going to fill it out too good.

I'll be only posting here, consa must be a bit of a lazy bastard, he said he was going to have it paid access only but he hasn't even set it up yet. I'll make one or two posts a day as I'm getting a bit sick and tired of whinging and praying for a crash and people telling me there's gonna be a crash, yeah, by 2025 as Keen says, which does me sfa good. But a couple of posts a day is better than nothing.

I'll be supporting this forum from now on. I doubt very much that GHPC will be back, so my efforts will go here ...

I would however strongly encourage the admins here to keep a very close eye as some of the posters from GHPC wander over in this direction. Some posts recently here show that they are looking to continue a trend that drove many ex-GHPCers away.

I left GHPC for a specific reason - that wasn't so I could go to the next place their bias posters wanted to set up shop and continue the same rubbish.

Cheers.

Hi All;

RumpledElf, this forum seems to work fine, but allow me to give you some suggestions / observations.

- I googled house price crash / australian house prices, and variations of that theme, and this forum did not come up once, in any of the 100 results. We are hardly going to expose information to the broader public in this way. Don't take this as a critisism, (or the following) but it's the reality of the situation.

- Appearance; it does not appear as a bussiness minded forum, and would not appeal to bussiness types. Images of engorged capsicums and cucumbers are of no great interest to savvy housing types, keen to gain info / insight into the Australian housing market. DO NOT get me wrong here, RE - I appluad your sustainability mentality - I'm an avid organic veggie grower myself (and have said so for years on GHPC) - I spend an average of 2 hours or more every morning doing my veggies.

But most bussiness types who turned up here would think you all a bunch of watermelons and not come again.

- OK - unrelated, here's another tip. PM's thru the (you know what) are very likely to be seriously compromised.

That it for now. Keep the end goal in mind - mine is to bring active, prominemt housing price discussion back into the public domain.

Please fell free to PM me, anyone.

Hi Jp,

Is the "bring active, prominemt housing price discussion back into the public domain" the goal of this site? I don't think so, its what makes it pleasant. I like the appearance.

If you want the inform the world that property is doomed type of setup maybe Bubblepedia is more the go.

I also like the separate forums. Property sh*t fight discussions (yes it is, no its not, yes it is, you are mean, no you are) separate from econs etc.

Good show Rumpled elf.

TP

Hi Jp,

Is the "bring active, prominemt housing price discussion back into the public domain" the goal of this site? I don't think so, its what makes it pleasant. I like the appearance.

If you want the inform the world that property is doomed type of setup maybe Bubblepedia is more the go.

I also like the separate forums. Property sh*t fight discussions (yes it is, no its not, yes it is, you are mean, no you are) separate from econs etc.

Good show Rumpled elf.

TP

+1

It's nice here. There's property discussion *and* recipes!

Nice forum, not a fan of the default skin though, I prefer the IP.Board one.

I think it's meant to give the forum an Earthy look :P It's more about a simpler way of live... you know... vegie patches... all that ;)

I tried a vegie patch once, bloody disaster. Bad soil. Could plant a crowbar and pull out a nail a week later.

Best part for me is, if I get caught at work on a sustainabilty forum it is far better for my job prospects than a house price crash forum!

1 person likes this

Best part for me is, if I get caught at work on a sustainabilty forum it is far better for my job prospects than a house price crash forum!

Now all the forum needs is a pron section.

Hi Jp,

Good show Rumpled elf.

TP

++

I think it was made clear by RE back in the early days that this is not meant to be a replacement GHPC.

The crash didn't happen when it should have, time to keep a weather open but move on and adapt, maybe have some other discussions as well. We can't all be single minded after all.

EDIT: and I think it should be compulsory for everyone to post a recipe / picture of their veges / suggestion for alternate building construction etc.

I wonder if the mods can put a "You have posted 10 times in a property forum and must now post something in an non property related forum which gets karma before oyu can post in a property forum again" constraint.

That would be hilarious.

But also cool.

I know firefly has got some other stuff he is into, I'd be surprised if you can get as old and dedicated as SS without picking up some decent recipes.

Too easy to fall into a response reply trap, if we all spent time posting in a multitude of areas it would be harder to have the stereotyped characters we had on GHPC.

I planted some strawberries a couple of years ago. Most of them got eaten by bugs. What do you do? Surround them with an electric cage and spray the f*ck out of them with chemicals?!

Strawberries should be only $2 a punnet by now or soon. I think I'll stick to buying stuff. :clap:

As for recipes all I'm good for is spags bogs and a chicken and almonds dish with oyster sauce.

I saw Julie & Julia the other day, I want to try Julia Child's

Boeuf Bourguignon

one day.

I planted some strawberries a couple of years ago. Most of them got eaten by bugs. What do you do? Surround them with an electric cage and spray the f*ck out of them with chemicals?!

Strawberries should be only $2 a punnet by now or soon. I think I'll stick to buying stuff. :clap:

As for recipes all I'm good for is spags bogs and a chicken and almonds dish with oyster sauce.

Boeuf Bourguignon

one day.

What amazes me if I actually have some luck with something growing, it is always on special at the supermarket at the same time. :ph34r:

Moved the thread ...

The pictures at the top were grabbed to represent 'sustainability' .... veggies included. The least fitting one is the sunflowers (its kind of a space filler) so if this place gets too housy a snap of the rooves of a new estate would fit better. But the forum is *supposed* to cover food and veggies as well as houses - houses were actually more of an afterthought. But things change, nothing is set in stone ..

It doesn't rank well in Google because there are very few incoming links to the site. Those take time to grow. I'd say the only links in are from bubblepedia, ghpc (which doesn't exist) and creditcrunch. I would have advertised it but that stupid $75 free adwords deal that's floating around is only open to new adwords accounts and I opened one years ago and never used it so I dont qualify.

I'll tone down the very earthy colours (they're a bit bright) if it gets really house-centric here, but otherwise there's always the default IPB theme for people browsing at work. The spacing of the buttons etc is IPB default - I just changed the images and colours.

1 person likes this

Boeuf Bourguignon

one day.

Well now aren't you glad you are here rather than some stanky old single focus forum?

I am confident that over in the gardening area where we recently discussed some kind of copper protection against some kind of bug someone will have an alternative to your kafka like war on bugs.

And if you were to start a thread in the cooking area about bringing back some cool arse 70's food for a retro christmas you would get responses (I for one have a good BB recipe but it is off thread here so I won't post it :)

You may also find that your chicken dish is appreciated in the "making takeaways for cheap thread"

Well now aren't you glad you are here rather than some stanky old single focus forum?

I am confident that over in the gardening area where we recently discussed some kind of copper protection against some kind of bug someone will have an alternative to your kafka like war on bugs.

And if you were to start a thread in the cooking area about bringing back some cool arse 70's food for a retro christmas you would get responses (I for one have a good BB recipe but it is off thread here so I won't post it :)

You may also find that your chicken dish is appreciated in the "making takeaways for cheap thread"

Ok. Thanks mate. It's actually chicken with cashews, not almonds. Kind of healthy but yet very filling. I'd cook more but the person I live with is sensitive to garlic, chillis and onion, gotta get me a new place asap if only for my culinary pursuits.

Anyway, who has bb for Christmas? I always thought it was a pretty standard meal for the French like steak and chips is for Aussies.

Ok. Thanks mate. It's actually chicken with cashews, not almonds. Kind of healthy but yet very filling. I'd cook more but the person I live with is sensitive to garlic, chillis and onion, gotta get me a new place asap if only for my culinary pursuits.

Anyway, who has bb for Christmas? I always thought it was a pretty standard meal for the French like steak and chips is for Aussies.

Funnily enough steak and ships is a traditional _french_ thing.

Anyhoo your BB desires can be answered here:

http://www.simplesustainable.com/topic/264-the-mandatory-recipe-thread/

I consider this one the few real recipes. Once you have the basic technique down you can make so many different versions. One of the favourites around here is replacing the red wine with white and using verjuice instead of brandy, then instead of mushrooms you use baby potatoes and olives. Same basic recipe, radically different end result.

Tasty meat with sauce and tatties. Can't go wrong.

Any reasonable adult can have a decent conversation in one thread with a person and be vehemently opposed to the same person in another thread. It's called having a brain as opposed to a knee jerk emotional response.

Anyone deliberately trying to bring enmity from the other thread into the discussion is being a f*ck head.

I don't give a sh*t about political correctness or baiting disguised as such.

Now, bear trap, go and post a recipe.

1 person likes this

Hello :)

I have been lurking at GHPC for longer than I care to admit.

Thanks for sharing reasonable logic regarding property. It has kept me sane in the face of the constant insanity. "safe as houses" crap is spouted from family, friends, media and my inbox:

ATTN: FIRST HOME BUYERS

The First Home Buyers grant will be scaled back to original $7,000.00 as of 31st December.

We encourage you to act now before you miss out! We have a number of properties priced for first home buyers and have had fantastic attendance at recent open homes.

Low interest rates and affordability are attracting both new and experienced buyers with investors returning to the market.

All indications are that the sudden return of optimism has buyers moving quickly to secure properties, sometimes within days of hitting the market, and values are again on the rise. Brisbane's median house price is now $437,175 – up 3.8 per cent since the beginning of the year.

This is all good news for the property market, make sure you take advantage of the increased grant to secure your investment now if you can, as prices will only go up!

Looking forward to seeing you out and about this weekend.

Regards,

Simonne Auer & Steve Schumann

It doesn't matter how illogical this propaganda is, if there is no alternate views out there (to support your own) it does start to seem like truth.

There are plenty of recipes on the net already. Keeping people who are prepared to think and present interesting viewpoints and practical advice on any topic is what will make this forum worth visiting.

Thanks everyone (and keep up the good work ;) for your fans)

...There are plenty of recipes on the net already. Keeping people who are prepared to think and present interesting viewpoints and practical advice on any topic is what will make this forum worth visiting...

On any topic except recipes?

You might be at the wrong place. We are all multi dimensional people. You might be wanting to find a place dedicated to a specific and singular topic and viewpoint therein. There might be one around...

*cough* http://bubblepedia.net.au/ *cough*

We only offer recipes and alternate building techniques and gardening techniques and various other interesting topics as well as economic and property related discussions.

*cough -been there done that*

So defensive Tor? You almost sound concerned that your cred might be damaged... or are you scared the recipe discussion will be axed? but I know you aren't so sensitive.

My opinion doesn't count much as a non-contributor, I felt a sudden urge to show support for the group.

Rumpled Elf has done a great job with setting up the forum topics, I am only concerned that the population isn't lost.

*cough -been there done that*

So defensive Tor? You almost sound concerned that your cred might be damaged... or are you scared the recipe discussion will be axed? but I know you aren't so sensitive.

My opinion doesn't count much as a non-contributor, I felt a sudden urge to show support for the group.

Rumpled Elf has done a great job with setting up the forum topics, I am only concerned that the population isn't lost.

Defensive? Hardly. I am encouraging diversity of opinion and discussion. Seems to me that the person recommending a limited field of discourse if the defensive one. Seems to me that anyone with such a bad comprehension of human motives might be trying to insult me. Unusual choice of activity when joining a forum to go handing out insults to the extant denizens. Maybe you are just self centred and don't try to work out what others may have as motives and judge all of them by your own...

Which is fine, you don't have to read or participate in the other threads.

We'll probably do them anyway.

Tor just likes food. He got defensive when I called his BB recipe timeconsuming :shocking:

Well that is a slur on the one thing I am proud of, I am the laziest man you know.

Do we have an emoticon of when homer was lying on the ground running in circles? I'd use that one here...

Defensive? Hardly. I am encouraging diversity of opinion and discussion. Seems to me that the person recommending a limited field of discourse if the defensive one. Seems to me that anyone with such a bad comprehension of human motives might be trying to insult me. Unusual choice of activity when joining a forum to go handing out insults to the extant denizens. Maybe you are just self centred and don't try to work out what others may have as motives and judge all of them by your own...

Which is fine, you don't have to read or participate in the other threads.

We'll probably do them anyway.

Maybe you missed some sarcasm there... I don't remember recommending a limited field of discourse. Just wanted to show some appreciation for one field of discourse and particularly the participants, including yourself.

Thanks for your permission to read or participate in threads I find interesting.

As far as other threads go... I would have hoped your interest dictates that for you.