Sherlock

Who has authority, to delete posts??

95 posts in this topic

Ah, Bears, you can be funny. I am cheap that way- I can always be reached by funniness. And yet, you're a terrible troll. You make me feel like this: :sadwalk: I wonder is it community that you wish for, or community disruption?

I am no bear, nor a troll.

I am sure someone could have 10 IP's on here, or 20, or be a developer, and still enjoy the conversation and the banter, and engage.

I am sure, too -- if they do not say dwelling prices will not crash, and they do not argue, against commonly held, incorrect beliefs................... in short, if they pretend to be a different person, than what they are, something I cannot do!!

Tell me, do you play a musial instrument? I am just trying to learn guitar. Not easy for me, but it would be nice to hear a song on the radio and one day be able to play it. Do you have any artistic ability? My gf can draw like a freak- just something she was always able to do- no tutoring required, no pushy mother standing over her making her produce- she was always just able to draw without being taught. I've never really met anyone with "natural talent" until I met her. What about you, Bear? Can you draw? (I can't).

No -- I am not creative, at all, sadly, all you get is plain old me.............

Edited by Sherlock
1 person likes this

My understanding is that they began in the middle east. Egypt has a precursory version with one "drone" (The highland pipes have three - two tenors and a bass, a "chanter" (the recorder like bit) and a blow stick. Most bags are canadian elk hide!

I have a theory about Scottish diaspora dispersion patterns. They always go for the cold rocky places. I submit the following evidence: The granite belt in northern nsw around glen innes, the south of NZ (dunedin and invercargill and canada (I haven't been to Canada but I bet the scots settled in the harsh rocky windy place - this will test my theory) The Irish were even dumber in this country at least. My own forebears were irish. :blush:

I like the military tattoos that come on New Years Eve.

I'm saddened that I missed the one they stage in Australia. I think it was last year.

All those bagpipes and brass bands does something to the Irish blood coursing through my veins.

I know bagpipes are related to Scotland, but us Irish can still appreciate that sound.

Some of the precision marching is amazing.:shocking:

It was a kiwi that introduced me to pipes. I once got a fourth place at the Waipu highland games in the individual novice category. I like both bands you mention as well come to think of it.

Have you ever noticed the similarity? I have a friend who is really into maiden and the girlfriend is really into big country. Both of them think I am mad and there is no similarity.

Alas I haven't brigadooned. I do a passable "dashing white sergeant" and a fair progressive waltz. I always liked that one at a céilidh as you get to meet everyone. Sword dancing is only for the brave.

I had to do the sword dance for my character exam. Was years ago now but I think I did the hornpipe and the sword dance. Damned if I could remember a single step nowadays let alone actually do them.

I am sure, too -- if they do not say dwelling prices will not crash, and they do not argue, against commonly held, incorrect beliefs................... in short, if they pretend to be a different person, than what they are, something I cannot do!!

Nah mostly if they read through the shortage thread and came up with a new theory which hasn't been done to death already they would be quite welcome.

Your current process seems to be avoiding that thread and scattering your postings about that topic in other areas.

Back on topic, I would just like to point out that I have more authority here than anyone else. Forget deleting the occasional post, I can delete ALL your posts. Or entire users. Forums. Websites. Small cities. Not planets though.

Now, as you were ...

my advice would be to pay very careful attention to posture and hand positions from day 1. its a pain in the ass but learning it right from the beginning is soooo important. well, at least in classical guitar it is. if you learn it wrong it takes ages to unlearn.

what i didn't like abt classical was the need to pay attention to fingernails on the right hand...

A topic i know a fair bit about :) Blow my own trumpet time....

I've been playing for 15yrs, ability peaked after 2yrs pretty much at 17 - 18 with an average of around 3hrs/day day in day out. I lived guitar! It took me 6 months to play the decent stuff and some easy solos. 12 months to play full Metallica solos and by 2yrs i could do it all blindfolded. I i don't think my ability got any better after that, i just learned different styles of music so it seems like i am a better player than before on my limited Metallica tunes.

My family is very musical and i got the genes also so i have a lot of natural talent and i can pick up anything fast. I was forced to learn piano at a young age, then trombone through school, drums, bass and guitar.

I taught myself guitar. Could already read both clefs but I choose to learn things mostly by ear and use guitar tab as a guide. Much quicker that way.

Your initial training is teaching nerve timing for co-ordination and finger memory and it's VERY frustrating during this period. I used to throw my guitar, punch it, cut the strings etc LOL.

If you have crap natural ability, it will take you YONKS to get any good (if ever). What i achieved in my first 6 months of playing my mates struggled to match within 5yrs and it was like they had peaked. No different to any athlete, i will never run a 10 second 100m sprint no matter how much i train.

I stopped playing at 20 but bought a new Ibanez last year and a steel string. First go i could bang out the old Metallica stuff. Funny how strong that finger memory is.

I try to learn some classical stuff as my parents hate the electric. I just spent 2 days (probably an hour at a guess??) learning 'Classical Gas'. Check it on youtube, it's a great song to play.

I can play it no dramas but i have zero technique lol. If you want to learn classical i completely agree with whoever said earlier about getting lessons. If a teacher saw me play they would be mortified. The hardcore classical guitarists are absolutely unreal. It's much, much harder to play fast classical vs shredding on an electric.

Forgot to say if anyone has any Q's i can try and help :)

Although as i am self taught my advice might go against all teachings LOL.

Forget deleting the occasional post, I can delete ALL your posts. Or entire users. Forums. Websites. Small cities. Not planets though.

As a demonstration of your powers can you please start with Brisbane, ta.

Edited by Turkey
1 person likes this

Back on topic, I would just like to point out that I have more authority here than anyone else. Forget deleting the occasional post, I can delete ALL your posts. Or entire users. Forums. Websites. Small cities. Not planets though.

Now, as you were ...

AdminBot you're......like....amazing!:shocking:

You're really one of the Transformers aren't you?:vampire:

Do you know any of the AutoBots?

Do you know Optimus Prime?

If I was 40 years younger :wheelchair: you would be like my hero!!!:starwars:

You rock, AdminBot!:thumbsup:

I like the military tattoos that come on New Years Eve.

I'm saddened that I missed the one they stage in Australia. I think it was last year.

All those bagpipes and brass bands does something to the Irish blood coursing through my veins.

I know bagpipes are related to Scotland, but us Irish can still appreciate that sound.

Some of the precision marching is amazing.:shocking:

They are amazing. The swiss drummers and the USA soldiers that chuck their rifles, bayonets fixed, about are brilliant.

I was in Sydney when the tattoo was on in January and it poured down for the the entire two days I was there. It was practically monsoonal.

I felt sorry for the guys in kilts.

I was lucky enough to see the real one in Edinburgh in 89. Fantastic. Lone piper is my favourite. The place really lights up at festival time. The

fringe is a hoot as well.

Have you ever noticed the similarity? I have a friend who is really into maiden and the girlfriend is really into big country. Both of them think I am mad and there is no similarity.

It think the Iron Maiden fast fingering guitar style sounds a bit like the quick changes that "grace notes" as they are referred to in piping parlance. These are little flicks of the fingers that play really brief punctuation notes thoughout pipe tunes. Most transitions between notes use these little movements and they can sound quite guitarish when played crisply. I suspect Big Country actually have pipes mixed deliberately in a subconscious layer of sound wizardry. Definitely a relationship of sorts.

I had to do the sword dance for my character exam. Was years ago now but I think I did the hornpipe and the sword dance. Damned if I could remember a single step nowadays let alone actually do them.

well, when staringclown comes to visit and brings his pipes, my gf can remind you about the nuances of the sword dance, tor. I had her do a few sword steps on a mop and a broom crossed over in my kitchen before we went to Brigadoon (I don't keep swords in the house). Amazingly, when we got to Brigadoon, she stopped and said, "Can you hear the pipes?" and she let out a sigh of contentment. It was like the pipes really were calling her. There must be something about the whole Scottish thing that really touches some people.

well, when staringclown comes to visit and brings his pipes, my gf can remind you about the nuances of the sword dance, tor. I had her do a few sword steps on a mop and a broom crossed over in my kitchen before we went to Brigadoon (I don't keep swords in the house). Amazingly, when we got to Brigadoon, she stopped and said, "Can you hear the pipes?" and she let out a sigh of contentment. It was like the pipes really were calling her. There must be something about the whole Scottish thing that really touches some people.

Seriously I can hardly pirouette anymore, let alone tour. And I did that for years. Trying to remember that style of dance now and doing it with any grace at all when I just crammed it for an exam? Somewhat unlikely.

Edit: I can still do jazz hands okay and whenever they play George Benson "On Broadway" at the supermarket I do a little shuffle with the trolley in remembrance of my first ever recital :)

Edited by tor

Lol. Then we can just sit down and you people can drink beers. I'll make a request for staringclown to do Smoke on the Water on the pipes and see how good he is.

Lol. Then we can just sit down and you people can drink beers. I'll make a request for staringclown to do Smoke on the Water on the pipes and see how good he is.

Smoke on the water is far to easy plonk. Strathspeys and reels are pushing the envelope as far as speed goes for me but for tors full iron maiden effect I could try the liverpool hornpipe. Truth be told, I have never really mastered it but it's fun to watch if I try. Thrash piping. :punk:

Smoke on the water is far to easy plonk. Strathspeys and reels are pushing the envelope as far as speed goes for me but for tors full iron maiden effect I could try the liverpool hornpipe. Truth be told, I have never really mastered it but it's fun to watch if I try. Thrash piping. :punk:

I have been trying to teach the male parrot Smoke on the water. He learned the Star wars imperial march in a few weeks and picked up Bridge on the River Kwai in pretty much a morning (seriously, it was scary how fast he grabbed that). Since then he has gone jazz free form with the river kwai and has actually turned my whistling into a reply to his solo.

So now I guess the parrot teaches me new variations and smoke on the water won't be happening until I can free my identity from the little bugger.

Nothing like chopping veges and finding you are whistling along with the parrot watching. Makes you really think maybe we aren't the pinnacle of smartness after all.

Stupid parrots.

I can tell you exactly what a parrot would sing in this house.

"Now I know my A B C's ... dubble x, y and g's"

Which has the same tune as Twinkle twinkle little star, and we hear a lot of that one too.

I have been trying to teach the male parrot Smoke on the water. He learned the Star wars imperial march in a few weeks and picked up Bridge on the River Kwai in pretty much a morning (seriously, it was scary how fast he grabbed that). Since then he has gone jazz free form with the river kwai and has actually turned my whistling into a reply to his solo.

So now I guess the parrot teaches me new variations and smoke on the water won't be happening until I can free my identity from the little bugger.

Nothing like chopping veges and finding you are whistling along with the parrot watching. Makes you really think maybe we aren't the pinnacle of smartness after all.

Stupid parrots.

:lol: You have no idea how much the thought of you and your parrot performing a free form jazz duet of "bridge on the river kwai" amuses me. If you could manage to involve the possum in some way I think you can take it on the road.

:lol: You have no idea how much the thought of you and your parrot performing a free form jazz duet of "bridge on the river kwai" amuses me. If you could manage to involve the possum in some way I think you can take it on the road.

From memory there are a couple of videos of various musical interludes lying around (as well as "parrots on sleeping tor", "parrots on drunken tor", "parrots biting various soft bits of tor" and of course the infamous "tor in underpants on treadmill playing guitar hero whilst parrot looks unamused").

I will ask the cinematographer if there is a decent kwai one and post it somewhere.