Sherlock

Who has authority, to delete posts??

95 posts in this topic

You people -- stop disrupting my whinge thread, with your derailing guitar stories, this thread is for whining, about unfair, and secret, moderation!! If you do not have something unconstructive to say, about admins and moderators, why do you not start your own thread??

Ah, Bears, you can be funny. I am cheap that way- I can always be reached by funniness. And yet, you're a terrible troll. You make me feel like this: :sadwalk: I wonder is it community that you wish for, or community disruption? I am sure someone could have 10 IP's on here, or 20, or be a developer, and still enjoy the conversation and the banter, and engage. Tell me, do you play a musial instrument? I am just trying to learn guitar. Not easy for me, but it would be nice to hear a song on the radio and one day be able to play it. Do you have any artistic ability? My gf can draw like a freak- just something she was always able to do- no tutoring required, no pushy mother standing over her making her produce- she was always just able to draw without being taught. I've never really met anyone with "natural talent" until I met her. What about you, Bear? Can you draw? (I can't).

Edited by Plonk

I bought two bucketfulls of dirt and landbanked it once.

:laugh:

I vaguely started learning the guitar a while back. But it was acoustic, and it hurt my fingers. I might get an electric one one day - they are softer to use, quieter, and you can do silly effects with a computer. And wear headphones!

I still have the acoutic one under The Child's bed. She hasn't noticed it is there.

Like team Francais De Jeux?

man I am so ready for the EPO tour. Probably the only sporting event I actually follow each year.

Shame about the testing. I liked it back when Ulrich could overtake cars uphill. Or Bjarne could overtake the hills on the way uphill.

I vaguely started learning the guitar a while back. But it was acoustic, and it hurt my fingers. I might get an electric one one day - they are softer to use, quieter, and you can do silly effects with a computer. And wear headphones!

I still have the acoutic one under The Child's bed. She hasn't noticed it is there.

RE, I think it hurts a bit, and then it stop hurting. Fingers get hardened, and one day, they don't hurt any more. I had sore fingers for days just trying to put fingers down, but then that kind of hurt/numbness becomes a permanent change, or so I hear :)

Re an electric guitar, I was going to get a left-handed one, but my bro said, "Plonk, get one with a hole in the middle"- my best piece of advice ever. So I got a left-handed accoustic. I grew up around guitars, but never had an interest because I just had to turn then over. Even the harmonica, which i have always been able to play by ear, I have to turn upside down. I am a true lefty.

Ah, Bears, you can be funny. I am cheap that way- I can always be reached by funniness. And yet, you're a terrible troll. You make me feel like this: :sadwalk: I wonder is it community that you wish for, or community disruption? I am sure someone could have 10 IP's on here, or 20, or be a developer, and still enjoy the conversation and the banter, and engage. Tell me, do you play a musial instrument? I am just trying to learn guitar. Not easy for me, but it would be nice to hear a song on the radio and one day be able to play it. Do you have any artistic ability? My gf can draw like a freak- just something she was always able to do- no tutoring required, no pushy mother standing over her making her produce- she was always just able to draw without being taught. I've never really met anyone with "natural talent" until I met her. What about you, Bear? Can you draw? (I can't).

Hey? Aren't we the bears and they're the bulls? I always get confused. :P

Anyway we bulls have multiple dimensions plonk. We enjoy the finer things in life because we're not saddled with enormous debt. We love, read, cook, converse, appreciate music and are generally interested in improving things for all.*

*Although I play bagpipes and this probably doesn't qualify as an improvement as such.

RE, I think it hurts a bit, and then it stop hurting. Fingers get hardened, and one day, they don't hurt any more. I had sore fingers for days just trying to put fingers down, but then that kind of hurt/numbness becomes a permanent change, or so I hear :)

Ironically, a similar thing happens with pipers and their lips. When one is out of form one tends to lose "lip grip" on the end of the chanter. (the blowing in stick) Leads directly to a whole lot of dribbling which can be embarassing. (Nothing new there clown I hear you say.) I once had to march in an ANZAC day parade for 3 miles in logan village, Qld. Complete disaster for the untempered lips. When I was younger I had lips of steel.

He is the Bears- the BearsyTrap.

Anyway we bulls have multiple dimensions plonk. We enjoy the finer things in life because we're not saddled with enormous debt. We love, read, cook, converse, appreciate music and are generally interested in improving things for all.*

Typo? :P And yes, I know how good and virtuous bears are. I am privileged to be in bears' company. Thanks for the goodness!

*Although I play bagpipes and this probably doesn't qualify as an improvement as such.

Hmmm. My gf is the best highland flinger in town. Hehe. I am not meaning to rave here- she is an artist sees her art as so personal, she would never let anyone know of her skills, and one would never know she is a brilliant flinger (because she never tells anyone about that, either), but there we have it, clown. I loved reading when you mentioned you play the pipes. She used to just mime the pipes and go under the radar. The fling is her thing.

I had a New Zealand public school upbringing. NZ'ers made a tiny bit of a translation mistake bring english culture over and thought that the UK Public Schools meant schools for the public.

So we ended up with schools which had many harbingers back to the 50's private schools of the UK. One of which was a considerable amount of bagpipes.

I still dig them. If there was ever an instrument that made you want to fight or just generally do _something_ right NOW it has to be them pipes.

That is part of the reason I like Iron Maiden so much. A lot of skirl in their guitar. Same for Big Country in some tracks.

man I am so ready for the EPO tour. Probably the only sporting event I actually follow each year.

Shame about the testing. I liked it back when Ulrich could overtake cars uphill. Or Bjarne could overtake the hills on the way uphill.

3rd July the kevlar, carbon and syringes descend on Rotterdam - first 3 days in Netherlands and Belgium.

http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

If you want to keep up with the Giro (stage 4)...

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2010/classifiche/classifica.shtml?t=04&classifica_btn=tab_02&subclassifica_btn=ct_01〈=it

He is the Bears- the BearsyTrap.

Typo? :P And yes, I know how good and virtuous bears are. I am privileged to be in bears' company. Thanks for the goodness!

Ah yes, I see now. Sorry plonk.

Hmmm. My gf is the best highland flinger in town. Hehe. I am not meaning to rave here- she is an artist sees her art as so personal, she would never let anyone know of her skills, and one would never know she is a brilliant flinger (because she never tells anyone about that, either), but there we have it, clown. I loved reading when you mentioned you play the pipes. She used to just mime the pipes and go under the radar. The fling is her thing.

I've flung a bit in my time. Not any more though. Bad knees.

I would encourage your gf to keep flinging. It's not easy. I struggle with the opposite hand in the air to the moving leg thing. Strangely, it is much easier once you've had a few. Like piping really. If we ever meet plonk I will bring them along.

Nice. :yes:

At Officer's Dining In nights they pipe in the Port for the Royal Toast etc. A pommy tankie (Royal Armoured Corp) officer once told that they had a Scottish CO who insisted that the piper piped in Single Malt decanters for the toast. :wine:

I had a New Zealand public school upbringing. NZ'ers made a tiny bit of a translation mistake bring english culture over and thought that the UK Public Schools meant schools for the public.

So we ended up with schools which had many harbingers back to the 50's private schools of the UK. One of which was a considerable amount of bagpipes.

I still dig them. If there was ever an instrument that made you want to fight or just generally do _something_ right NOW it has to be them pipes.

That is part of the reason I like Iron Maiden so much. A lot of skirl in their guitar. Same for Big Country in some tracks.

It was a kiwi that introduced me to pipes. I once got a fourth place at the Waipu highland games in the individual novice category. I like both bands you mention as well come to think of it.

Ah yes, I see now. Sorry plonk.

I've flung a bit in my time. Not any more though. Bad knees.

I would encourage your gf to keep flinging. It's not easy. I struggle with the opposite hand in the air to the moving leg thing. Strangely, it is much easier once you've had a few. Like piping really. If we ever meet plonk I will bring them along.

Yeah- she does those foot flinging things- like in triple. You know when the toes kind of do that flicky bit? She's really good :) Do you Brigadoon?

i played classical and flamenco guitar very badly for about 10 years. but since you're not playing for a paying audience it doesn't really matter how bad you are so long as you are having fun. had to stop for a while thanks to carpal tunnel syndrome (three cheers for writing a dissertation). sad thing is it kicked in right after i bought a really, really nice guitar. amazing how big of a difference it makes. have started goofing around with it again lately, but it depressing to see how very far the already limited skills have deteriorated.

my advice would be to pay very careful attention to posture and hand positions from day 1. its a pain in the ass but learning it right from the beginning is soooo important. well, at least in classical guitar it is. if you learn it wrong it takes ages to unlearn.

what i didn't like abt classical was the need to pay attention to fingernails on the right hand...

Yeah- she does those foot flinging things- like in triple. You know when the toes kind of do that flicky bit? She's really good :) Do you Brigadoon?

I thought Brigadoon was a theatre musical/movie (and a place near Perth). Its a dance?

Alas I haven't brigadooned. I do a passable "dashing white sergeant" and a fair progressive waltz. I always liked that one at a céilidh as you get to meet everyone. Sword dancing is only for the brave.

At Officer's Dining In nights they pipe in the Port for the Royal Toast etc. A pommy tankie (Royal Armoured Corp) officer once told that they had a Scottish CO who insisted that the piper piped in Single Malt decanters for the toast. :wine:

I quite like the military aspect of pipe bands. It's a very romantic notion. (as tor has said - the glorious battle factor) I played for the "Blue bonnets" in Brisbane. Harks back to the 1600's pre clearance days when the highlanders were revolting (and wearing blue bonnets). "All the blue bonnets are over the border" is the tune. The royal scots guards, the black watch, and most songs were composed by soldiers and named after theatres of action. Of course these are british regiments. There is another branch of piping called "pibroch" which is old school gaelic. :ph34r:

That's Scottish Terriers they're wearing on their heads.

:laugh:

I quite like the military aspect of pipe bands. It's a very romantic notion. (as tor has said - the glorious battle factor) I played for the "Blue bonnets" in Brisbane. Harks back to the 1600's pre clearance days when the highlanders were revolting (and wearing blue bonnets). "All the blue bonnets are over the border" is the tune. The royal scots guards, the black watch, and most songs were composed by soldiers and named after theatres of action. Of course these are british regiments. There is another branch of piping called "pibroch" which is old school gaelic. :ph34r:

It is an instrument associated with battle and glory etc. How widespread is it? The Canadians had many Higland Regiments that were active in WW2. I remember watching a doco on the Seafoth Highlanders (I think ??) in Italy and the guys were wearing kilts and fighting like mad men. I belive one picked up a VC in the Italian theatre. Every province had at least one. The highly decorated Canadian Black Watch (Royal Highland regiment of Canada) is situated in Quebec!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_regiment#Scottish_and_Highland_Regiments_in_other_countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seaforth_Highlanders_of_Canada#World_War_II_2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Watch_%28Royal_Highland_Regiment%29_of_Canada

It is an instrument associated with battle and glory etc. How widespread is it? The Canadians had many Higland Regiments that were active in WW2. I remember watching a doco on the Seafoth Highlanders (I think ??) in Italy and the guys were wearing kilts and fighting like mad men. I belive one picked up a VC in the Italian theatre. Every province had at least one. The highly decorated Canadian Black Watch (Royal Highland regiment of Canada) is situated in Quebec!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_regiment#Scottish_and_Highland_Regiments_in_other_countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seaforth_Highlanders_of_Canada#World_War_II_2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Watch_%28Royal_Highland_Regiment%29_of_Canada

My understanding is that they began in the middle east. Egypt has a precursory version with one "drone" (The highland pipes have three - two tenors and a bass, a "chanter" (the recorder like bit) and a blow stick. Most bags are canadian elk hide!

I have a theory about Scottish diaspora dispersion patterns. They always go for the cold rocky places. I submit the following evidence: The granite belt in northern nsw around glen innes, the south of NZ (dunedin and invercargill and canada (I haven't been to Canada but I bet the scots settled in the harsh rocky windy place - this will test my theory) The Irish were even dumber in this country at least. My own forebears were irish. :blush: