Sherlock

Who has authority, to delete posts??

95 posts in this topic

Today, in a discussion with Tinpusher, I asked this question --

If "excess" dwellings were hoarded, in other words, were not made available, while we built them between 86 and 09, how do you propose they be made available now, when Keen acknowledges we are not building any "excess" now??

When I asked it, my post was deleted. I asked again, my post was deleted again. There was no comment, to explain the deletion!! Who has authority to delete posts?? Why are my posts deleted, yet Tinpushers post -- in which he insulted me -- is not deleted?? Will this thread be deleted, because I ask this question??

i dunno but maybe you would be better off PM-ing the board owner instead of reposting posts that were deleted? just a general suggestion. unless, of course, your intent is merely to air a complaint and not resolve it. in which case, full speed ahead i say.

Since I last looked at it it seems about 10 posts have been deleted. Might not have been something YOU said, could have been something replied to or the general nature of what was being discussed. I don't know I missed it. Was it important? :P

P.S. Haven't seen your name on here much, when I do there's always whinging lol

wah wah wah deleted wah s33krit mods wah

Oh sh*t that was me. Sorry.

I was experimenting with my telepathic hive minds again.

The post isn't actually deleted, this is the embarrassing thing.

I just accidentally used it as a seed for the formation of a hive mind. As you are no doubt aware no hive mind can ever see the seed or you get recursion in the internals and, well we've all been there right?

So anyway yeah sorry everybody.

The mods can delete posts. There are 3 levels of moderator - the top level with the uber powers you'll almost never see active here, in fact I think one of them hasn't actually posted here at all and gets most confused when he/she/it gets PMs, but there's a good reason there is more than one uber admin here. This login of mine has the same level of permissions as about half of the mods.

Yes, there's rather a few mods and no, not all of them are listed, and yes, this is deliberate.

And no, I don't stand over them watching what they do. We call that 'delegation', its a marvellous concept.

Deleted posts don't vanish permanently, they just get moved, which is how Charles knows it was more than just your posts that got trimmed out of that thread. And rightly so, too.

Invision itself has access to this forum, maybe their techs are secretly screwing with you :)

The mods can delete posts. There are 3 levels of moderator - the top level with the uber powers you'll almost never see active here, in fact I think one of them hasn't actually posted here at all and gets most confused when he/she/it gets PMs, but there's a good reason there is more than one uber admin here. This login of mine has the same level of permissions as about half of the mods.

Yes, there's rather a few mods and no, not all of them are listed, and yes, this is deliberate.

And no, I don't stand over them watching what they do. We call that 'delegation', its a marvellous concept.

Deleted posts don't vanish permanently, they just get moved, which is how Charles knows it was more than just your posts that got trimmed out of that thread. And rightly so, too.

A suggestion -- when the "secret" admins delete posts, they should comment in the thread, to explain where the posts went, this will prevent people wondering where their post went, reposting it, having the post deleted again, so losing half their daily post allocation?? Example -- when Tinpusher deletes my posts, he should comment in the thread, as follows -- "I deleted Sherlocks posts, because he asked me awkward questions, but I did not delete my own insulting post, because this how I win the argument with him, and encourage him to leave here". Do you think this could be an improvement, so the forum may be less of a "circle jerk", and outsiders, with views different to Tors hive mind, may feel more welcome to posting here??

A suggestion -- when the "secret" admins delete posts, they should comment in the thread, to explain where the posts went, this will prevent people wondering where their post went, reposting it, having the post deleted again, so losing half their daily post allocation?? Example -- when Tinpusher deletes my posts, he should comment in the thread, as follows -- "I deleted Sherlocks posts, because he asked me awkward questions, but I did not delete my own post, calling him a troll, and crock of sh*t, because this how I win the argument with him, and encourage him to leave here". Do you think this could be an improvement, so the forum may be less of a "circle jerk", and outsiders, with views different to Tors hive mind, may feel more welcome to posting here??

Nah we like it the way it is. What you should do is start your own forum with rules the way you think they should be done. Freedom and Democracy all in one helping.

I do find it amusing that every time you go through this rigmarole it ends the same and yet you just keep trying it. I guess a persistent mindset and disregard for observed cause and effect is a requirement to invest in property at the moment though, so you ought to be fine there.

Very few posts get deleted, overall. But there's a very small group of people who seem to get the vast majority of theirs removed.

If half of *yours* fall outside of the forum guidelines and the moderators are removing them, perhaps you could start thinking harder before you type, and post the kind of content that won't get deleted in the first place? If you've only got 10 posts a day, make them count.

I guess a persistent mindset and disregard for observed cause and effect is a requirement to invest in property at the moment though, so you ought to be fine there.

Dwelling values rose 20%, in the past year, property investors won, bears lost. Bears spent past five years losing -- I guess a persistent mindset and disregard for observed cause and effect is a requirement to be a bear at the moment though, so you ought to be fine there!!

Very few posts get deleted, overall. But there's a very small group of people who seem to get the vast majority of theirs removed.

If half of *yours* fall outside of the forum guidelines and the moderators are removing them, perhaps you could start thinking harder before you type, and post the kind of content that won't get deleted in the first place? If you've only got 10 posts a day, make them count.

Another suggestion -- your guidelines are unclear. Which guideline makes it OK, for Tinpusher, to insult me?? His rude post stayed, so it adhered to the guidelines?? My post got deleted, which guideline did my question, to Tinpusher, fall outside?? Can you explain??

"If "excess" dwellings were hoarded, in other words, were not made available, while we built them between 86 and 09, how do you propose they be made available now, when Keen acknowledges we are not building any "excess" now??"

When posts are deleted, the admin should explain which guideline was breached, IMHO.

Another suggestion -- your guidelines are unclear. Which guideline makes it OK, for Tinpusher, to insult me?? His rude post stayed, so it adhered to the guidelines??

None, and now I'm actually awake there's several other rather rude posts that are missing from that thread.

Also the mismatch in reported and actual posts remaining per day has been reported to IPB as a bug. It affects everyone, not just you.

Also also, if you don't have a very high per day post count, I'd suggest using the "report post" feature if you have a complaint about a particular insulting post aimed at you instead of posting multiple times about it here. Makes it much easier to find offending posts if you haven't actually been reading the forum instead of having to work out what thread everyone is talking about and then try and work out which post is the problem.

i dunno but maybe you would be better off PM-ing the board owner instead of reposting posts that were deleted? just a general suggestion. unless, of course, your intent is merely to air a complaint and not resolve it. in which case, full speed ahead i say.

Just re-iterating, but here in admin land if you don't like a post, we call that the "report post" feature, which does a magic thing called "notifying the admins". Starting new threads in the help and feedback forum can take HOURS (or even days) to get noticed, especially when I'm off in my own little universe coding up stuff in php on a completely different website.

Dwelling values rose 20%, in the past year, property investors won, bears lost. Bears spent past five years losing -- I guess a persistent mindset and disregard for observed cause and effect is a requirement to be a bear at the moment though, so you ought to be fine there!!

and there i beat you again as I did buy a place, I don't really regard it as an investment but then if what you project is correct then I ought to make money there too.

Mind you I spent a lot more time taking advantage of the GFC to push my income up by about 200K p.a. to some 550K this financial year.

All things being equal I suspect house prices won't be rising by that factor for more than one or two years. Whereas the business I started and the start-up I joined have only actually started and as they mature will earn me more.

So yes I observed reality and took advantage of the slowdown culminating in 2008. Happened that I bought at the top of the real interest rate cycle as well which was amusing, wonder if you did? I also took advantage of the biggest kerfuffle since the depression to produce an ongoing income through actual production of stuff.

What exactly did you do during this period? Complain about mods while your property portfolio gained a little? Probably should have spent that time identifying a gap in the market and filling it rather than just joining the latest bandwagon to come along. But hey, horses for courses. Some people like to be in the majority so that they all lose together.

I've found a nice (but small) gap in the market, am not doing a great deal to keep it a state secret and have collected a good few beta testers now, keen to throw themselves on my sword because they've been whinging about the same gap in the market and are happy to see someone else actually do something about it. Life is good.

Life would be better if I could see my feet, bend over and not get my ribs battered so much from the inside, but such things are only temporary ... ~6 weeks to go!

i guess i must've lost over the past year too because i didn't buy a house. instead i worked, saved money & had a pretty satisfying year all around with friends and family. i also learned how to cook kick-ass pizza, kick-ass bread and kick-ass rotisserie chicken (my lasagna is pretty good too). i didn't realise that all this made me a loser...

i suppose i should try to link my personal identity and sense of self worth more completely with the type of dwelling i reside in. that way i could wake up each morning and berate myself for being a lowly renter instead just looking forward to that first cup of coffee...

i sure do have my priorities mixed up... thanks for pointing this out to me sherlock. perhaps some day i will be as wise as you, then i can spend my days making posts on forums telling people how delusional they are.

and there i beat you again as I did buy a place

If you bought multiple places, maybe you will beat me -- for the first time -- as it is, you are only beating your schlort.............

Mind you I spent a lot more time taking advantage of the GFC to push my income up by about 200K p.a. to some 550K this financial year.

Yes -- you do like to tell us about this, at all opportunities!! You rock, you highly skilled person, with the mega income, tell us again about your unique skills, again, please??

I observed reality and took advantage of the slowdown

I bought at the top of the real interest rate cycle

I also took advantage of the biggest kerfuffle since the depression

You _really_ rock!!

What exactly did you do during this period?

Played footie, surfed, drank beer, enjoyed life, watched my equity grow!!

i guess i must've lost over the past year too because i didn't buy a house

Yes -- compared to people like Tor, who did buy one (he rocks).

And with that, I extinguish my daily post limit, I will give Tor the last word, he can tell me how much he rocks, and how I don't rock like him!!

Edited by Sherlock

...You _really_ rock!!

Man, got you again. How many of your ten are you going to waste on me. I do rock!

Silly trolls, can't even troll proper like.

If you bought multiple places, maybe you will beat me -- for the first time -- as it is, you are only beating your schlort.............

Yes -- you do like to tell us about this, at all opportunities!! You rock, you highly skilled person, with the mega income, tell us again about your unique skills, again, please??

You _really_ rock!!

Played footie, surfed, drank beer, enjoyed life, watched my equity grow!!

Yes -- compared to people like Tor, who did buy one (he rocks).

Well Put Again !

ah well, i must do my best to trudge on and persevere, pathetic though my existence may be. had only i known that a person's value was defined simply by home ownership, how differently i would have lived my life. how's the weather in nirvana?

Well Put Again !

back from sabbatical early? nice to see such substantial contributions...

back from sabbatical early? nice to see such substantial contributions...

Is this place nutter city, a few posts, and I am starting to feel that this place is not quite normal ?

Almost like a Psychiatric hosipital !

People bragging about there incomes incessantly.

People who don't even own a house bragging of their wealth.

Secret mods who act as agent provocateurs, insulting and attacking anyone they don't agree with, and when their limited IQ's prevent them from winning a fair arguement, they delete posts.

Au Revoir for now.

Is this place nutter city, a few posts, and I am starting to feel that this place is not quite normal ?

Almost like a Psychiatric hosipital !

People bragging about there incomes incessantly.

People who don't even own a house bragging of their wealth.

Secret mods who act as agent provocateurs, insulting and attacking anyone they don't agree with, and when their limited IQ's prevent them from winning a fair arguement, they delete posts.

Au Revoir for now.

Now SS, you remember when you figured out about vpn's and how to use them for your multiple accounts way back in the ghpc days? You know it was back when you were pretending to be Ed Karan and then had that night where you cried and said you were going to top yourself (oh that was a funny night)?

Just go back to doing that. You can buy a proxy for about $20 a month.

You won't get found out quite so quickly that way.

Well not until you start ranting your normal lunacy anyway.

Now SS, you remember when you figured out about vpn's and how to use them for your multiple accounts way back in the ghpc days? You know it was back when you were pretending to be Ed Karan and then had that night where you cried and said you were going to top yourself (oh that was a funny night)?

Just go back to doing that. You can buy a proxy for about $20 a month.

You won't get found out quite so quickly that way.

Well not until you start ranting your normal lunacy anyway.

How Rude, I would of thought a man who earned so much would have a bit more class. Well looks like money can't buy everything.

Edited by Napoleon

How Rude, I would of thought a man who earned so much would have a bit more class. Well looks like money can't buy everything.

Tor? Class? *cough* mmmmkay ...

I think I aquired an extra property in the last year but I don't know yet. Property is funny like that - can be hard to work out who owns it and when and how, and noone tells you. I suppose I'll find out when they come chasing me for council rates or water or something :rolleyes: