Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staringclown

Rudd shelves the ETS

7 posts in this topic

Well OK I can respect the fact that most of the participants on this forum are skepticks. I can respect you all at the same time as disagreeing with you because you hold opposing beliefs because you have stated them openly. What I can't abide is a hypocrite who claims that AGW is the greatest moral challenge of our generation and then backflips. Enough Rudd you absolute f*cking fraud. Apologies for the language but I am very angry. <_<

I'm all for green, clean energy. I'm all for the cessation of pumping sh*t into the atmosphere. The scheme was flawed because as Bob Brown said on the ABC tonight it just taxed consumers whilst the sh*t pumpers kept pumping...

What I can't abide is a hypocrite who claims that AGW is the greatest moral challenge of our generation and then backflips. Enough Rudd you absolute f*cking fraud.

Well said.

If the Mad Monk can guarantee the right to collectively bargain he's got my vote. Even though I think he's a knob and little nutty, Rudd is a fraud.

Well i don't know what qft means but i probably agree.

another thing to consider is how much money rudd invested in the scheme, how much time was invested in the scheme, only to let it drop when he faced the real consequences of implementing the scheme. this is behaviour we have seen over and over again. he throws together a panel, tells them to come up with a scheme, sells it as though it's the best thing since sliced bread and more important than air. then when he gets to the implementation stage and is confronted by hard choices he backs down.

grocery watch anyone? "gee, you mean coles and woolies won't like it? guess we had better scrap it then..." did anyone ever expect coles and woolies to like it? same with ets - everyone has always known it would cost money. the defects/weaknesses in the scheme were well known throughout. why would he push it through if he weren't supporting it fully?

can't wait to see how the medical reform project fizzles post-election...

i think it's time for rudd to have another sorry day. maybe a sorry week.

I think a straight carbon tax, would have been a better idea, as the way to game that is to produce less CO2.

I think Brown is correct about ETS, the big producers would buy & shuffle around licenses in very elaborate schemes (which will be expensive to us), and somehow magically avoid reducing their CO2 output, having offset it with some obscure eastern European company that is going broke and not polluting anyway.

Apologies for the language but I am very angry. <_<

I am too.

Although to be honest I never believed it was possible to implement any ETS in the timeframe they claimed to intend to.

I don't want to take this down the O/T to the usual quarrel over related issues, but here's my O/T:

The opposition pissed me off as badly with their response. Tony Abbot claimed that the government's scheme was nothing more than a big tax on Australians, while the opposition scheme would be paid out of government revenue. WTF? Who does he think he's kidding? Government revenue is paid by Australians, so you either increase taxes to pay for it or cut services elsewhere. And either way, if you don't impose a cost then you won't change behaviours. :thumbdown: