mamabear

Eco Pre-Fab homes

6 posts in this topic

I've been looking at some environmentally friendly/sustainable pre-fabricated homes today and thought some on here might know more about them - are they comfortable?, practical?, and how the prices compare? I was taking a look at this article which lists a few - http://www.modscape....eloper_2009.pdf .

Beautiful but at $1,500-$2,500 per sqm is that competitive with traditional builds? I had assumed (hoped) it would be significantly cheaper.

I'm particularly interested in the Ecoshelta - http://www.ecoshelta.com/ .

Anyone know about this?

Anything even vaguely 'alternative' tends to cost more (regardless of the supply cost) than a conventional house partly because it is so hard to find someone to actually build them, and partly because they aren't mass produced crap like your average brick veneer project home. Its a shame, really.

This site suggests costs start at $980 sq mtr for a basic brick veneer project home, and go up according to level of finish. (this is for Sydney, most other cities are a touch more expensive)

So, starting at $1500 sq mtr means RE is correct in suggesting it's on the pricey side.

BMT & Associates

Construction Type: Residential

Level of finish

Low Medium High

3br brick veneer project home, level block, shelf design

$980 $1,250 $1,580

Architecturally designed executive residence

$2,100 $3,250 $4,900

3br, 2 level brick veneer townhouse, including allowance for common property

$1,260 $1,480 $2,200

3 level walk-up unit complex, concrete structure ground floor parking

$1,420 $1,700 $2,200

Multi-level apartment building, including lift and basement car parking

$1,600 $1,970 $2,940

If its any indication, we're getting a 150sqm house for $104,000, and that is inclusive of some fairly major unnecessary upgrades and exclusive of connections (which I haven't priced yet - $5k-ish for water/sewer and $300ish for phone but electricity I haven't found out). You could get the bottom of the line version of our house for about $90k - $600 per square metre.

Thanks for those numbers. $600 per sqm! Wow, that seems a lot less than other figures I've seen.

Thanks for those numbers. $600 per sqm! Wow, that seems a lot less than other figures I've seen.

They build them offsite and the construction is pretty basic. There's a few of the cheap version in this town - not many - and they aren't especially attractive. Pay a few $1000 extra for upgrades and they look like a heritage Queenslander.