Firefly

Australian Food Prices - Highest in the World!

17 posts in this topic

Supermarket duopoloy blamed for soaring food prices

November 9, 2009 - 6:53AM

Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths are being blamed for Australians paying the fastest growing prices for groceries in the world.

According to new OECD price data, food prices in Australia have increased 41.3 per cent since the start of 2000, News Limited newspapers reported.

Spain has the next fastest rate of increase over that time at 41.2 per cent.

University of NSW associate professor Frank Zumbo said comparing costs over 10 years eliminated variables such as drought, and exposed Australia's "cosy" supermarket duopoly as the main reason for the price surge.

"When you look internationally, it is our market concentration which explains why our grocery prices are rising faster," he told News Ltd.

Earlier this year, the federal government dumped its criticised Grocery Choice website.

AAP

Link : http://www.smh.com.a...91109-i3tn.html

In a country where high house costs are a point of fact most people cheer, why the hell are these hypocrites not cheering the fact we also have some of the highest food costs in the entire world as well?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

This could not be good for our exports?

How could we have say a higher food rise than say Hong Kong where they import canned food from Australia. Even Vietnam imports some food from Australia. I was impressed to find Devondale on the shelves of most supermarkets in Ho Chi Minh.

What is wrong with Australia?

I guess coles or woolies share's aren't the bees knees and don't really give much to the owner.

[Mod: Keep it clean thanks]

I was in woolies on the weekend and I felt like some corn on the cob, $5 for two! Polish salami $14 a kilo. I know polish salami is horridly bad for you, but I haven't had it in ages, and I shall not have it for a long time if ever again at that price. Looks like even the sh*t food is going up.

Coles and Woolworths 2 Retard companies whos idea of making money is charging to much and ripping of the FARMER can we shut them down please

Coles and Woolworths 2 Retard companies whos idea of making money is charging to much and ripping of the FARMER can we shut them down please

Coles and Woolies really are not the problem. It's the laws that allow them to do what they do (or lack there of in terms of enforcement) that are the problem.

But that's a problem with Australia over all. We have toothless tigers enforcing policy and law, which by and large are the product of corrupt officials anyway.

Australia (love it or not) is a corrupt nation. The rot unfortunately goes all the way to the top.

It's like the housing investment situation in Australia. People are always going to be greedy and rort the system at the expense of others regardless, it's the responsibility of the law makers to enforce fair laws which benefit all - rather than the minority. But bias policy is just the status quo in this nation, which is hardly surprising considering we're an elected capitalist dictatorship anyway.

Australia isn't free. It's just the illusion fed to the stupid masses to keep them placated.

We're extremely expensive for a lot of things compared to places like the US, its not just food.

For many things there's such a lack of competition, prices have always been high, so everyone can get away with it.

When I was a kid, super markets were just arriving on the scene. The original store had been called a "grocers", they were much smaller. They didn't sell fresh vegetables or meat. Certainly not CD's, or Hardware or clothes. There's a huge variety of goods compared to what there used to be. Cars only really began to appear in Australia in numbers in the 1950's. But my parents didn't have a car, so it was walking or public transport. Without a car there is isn't the ability to pull large loads. A lot of goods used to bought at the Milk Bar because of this.

I'm amazed with loads people pull out of the supermarket these days. Over all food is cheaper now.

One thing I noticed with the growth of technologies like TV how dead pan people started to become.

Maybe there's an IMF conspiracy afoot to make Aussies lose weight?

We're extremely expensive for a lot of things compared to places like the US, its not just food.

For many things there's such a lack of competition, prices have always been high, so everyone can get away with it.

Wouldn't be much competition in Bumf*ck SA would there be, Rumpled Elf? I imagine groceries would be expensive than in Adelaide.

Wouldn't be much competition in Bumf*ck SA would there be, Rumpled Elf? I imagine groceries would be expensive than in Adelaide.

You'd be surprised, since the new supermarket went in we've stopped going to Adelaide to shop as there's no price difference at all. The range isn't quite the same but its still pretty big. This town is up there with the fastest growing in SA though, both for income and building houses. We get the same supermarket catalogues as Adelaide in the junkmail too. People come from literally miles around to the new supermarket.

Further north the zoning changes to 'remote' and grocery prices go through the roof AND they sell rotten and expired stuff full price.

You'd be surprised, since the new supermarket went in we've stopped going to Adelaide to shop as there's no price difference at all. The range isn't quite the same but its still pretty big. This town is up there with the fastest growing in SA though, both for income and building houses. We get the same supermarket catalogues as Adelaide in the junkmail too. People come from literally miles around to the new supermarket.

Further north the zoning changes to 'remote' and grocery prices go through the roof AND they sell rotten and expired stuff full price.

I would have thought the likes of Woolworths would have been fairly consistent no matter where you go...but I could be wrong. They seemed to be about the same in my town.

I would have thought the likes of Woolworths would have been fairly consistent no matter where you go...but I could be wrong. They seemed to be about the same in my town.

We've got Foodland and IGA here, but the IGA is very small.

Both of those get a major markup when you get "too far" from civilisation, and we're only 2ish hours from Adelaide and the local supermarket operators seem to have a clue - the best thing is they get new products in by request, so they sell some rather unexpected stuff. Its great!

We've got Foodland and IGA here, but the IGA is very small.

Both of those get a major markup when you get "too far" from civilisation, and we're only 2ish hours from Adelaide and the local supermarket operators seem to have a clue - the best thing is they get new products in by request, so they sell some rather unexpected stuff. Its great!

We got Foodland and IGA as well...the IGA is good because its open 7 days a week up until 8pm. Unfortunately a lot the shops don't open all weekend, Foody and Woolies don't open Sunday, Thriftylink opens 7 days but the Banner shuts at 12.00pm on Saturday and doesn't open on Sundays. I made jokes with the retail staff when I first moved here from Adelaide that is was like going back in a time warp to 1980's shopping hours. :D

I went to Super Butcher on the weekend

I am continually amazed at the quality and affordability of the product.

Prices for meat seem to be the same price they have been since I first started shopping for myself almost 30 years ago

Frank

1 person likes this

I went to Super Butcher on the weekend

I am continually amazed at the quality and affordability of the product.

Prices for meat seem to be the same price they have been since I first started shopping for myself almost 30 years ago

Frank

Heh I looked at their prices and "sweet lord save me, Frank makes to much" then I realised they were full piece charges and their /Kg is actually pretty good ;)

Heh I looked at their prices and "sweet lord save me, Frank makes to much" then I realised they were full piece charges and their /Kg is actually pretty good ;)

Even better when you subscribe to their emails and then you get things like this sent out

1. Buy 1 Whole MSA Rib Fillet $26.99kg and receive 3 Whole Short Cut Yearling/MSA Eye Fillets for FREE. I have aged these Rib Fillets a whopping 115 days, in anticipation for this weekend. I just know you are going to love them.

2. Lean Mince ( Less than 10% fat) $3.99kg

3. Black Angus Osso Bucco $4.99kg

4. Black Angus Sausages $3.99kg

5. Whole “High Grade” MSA Rumps - $8.99kg.

Frank

1 person likes this

Even better when you subscribe to their emails and then you get things like this sent out

Frank

Rib Fillet (same as scotch fillet I believe) was my favourite value cut of meat until the late nineties when the price started going insane. It now typically sells more than 3/4 of rib eye prices. Used to be more like half. Distinctly remember a place in the cross in 93/94 selling eye @ ~32 and scotch @15.5 (admittedly retail small piece pricing).

Given that their price for aged is less than double that and we are talking 15 yrs later _and_ you get some free eye as well. That is pretty cool.

Wonder if they deliver to Sydney... must go check their site out more carefully.