Plonk

Got Interest Rate thread

923 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Given the RBA isn't going to raise interest rates, I'm guessing the AUD may be about to head down the toilet.

I may need to pick up some more USD quick smart!

Another cracker of a day. The market is dictating rates irrespective of what the RBA does.

Capture.JPG

1 person likes this

On 6/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, cobran20 said:

Another cracker of a day. The market is dictating rates irrespective of what the RBA does.

Top broker uncovers a new hidden threat to investors from the banking sector

“The additional problem is that for as long as wide interbank spreads cannot be easily explained, pent-up pressure on mortgage rates will continue to build,” said Credit Suisse. “This sets the stage for more than 50 bp [basis points] worth of out of cycle rate hikes.”

yes rates are rising.

The FED started it under yellen and now even draghi is thinking about it.

The problem is when rates triple then debts get out of hand within 10years and then its game over for pensions and governments. Together thats more than 30% of population!

9 hours ago, Swaize said:

yes rates are rising.

The FED started it under yellen and now even draghi is thinking about it.

The problem is when rates triple then debts get out of hand within 10years and then its game over for pensions and governments. Together thats more than 30% of population!

nothing but blue skies ahead!

Absolutely.......for many Asians ;) 

Most Asian countries dont have pensions and have a small % old people 

Who controlled all trade? The british! Who was rich? The british! Then what happened? War and financial ruin. Who benefitted? USA! Who then controlled the oil trade? The USA! Then what happened? Financial ruin and too many wars! Who now controls trade? Asians! Who is soon rich? The Asians! Then what happens? :rolleyes:

Edited by Swaize

It seems like rates in Australia will fall relative to the USA, so the currency will get hammered. I just can't earn quickly enough to buy more USD!

1 person likes this

May explain why demand for investor loans has dried up. When Labor come into power at the next federal election and implement the negative gearing changes, the RE market will ...

Bendigo Bank raises mortgage rates, blames funding costs

...rate rises of between 0.1 and 0.16 percentage points...

Adelaide Bank, Suncorp join Westpac and raise variable rates

...Principal and interest-owner occupied and investment variable loans will be increasing by 12 basis points.

Interest-only owner occupied and residential investment loans will rise by 35 basis points and 40 basis points respectively...

Can anyone recommend online saver accounts etc? Have ~350k I need to park. 2 months - 2 years

I am with mebank that have purported to pay a measly three per cent if I spend on their card. Better then most terms. But US bonds are rising. The only benefit is they're liquid. Most other  deals are for the first three months before dropping back to rubbish. It's all high maintenance at the moment

I'm making more money (still not much) just by opening alternate currency accounts at my banks. Oddly this seems not obvious in my Aus bank accounts but for everywhere I else I have accounts it is a next next next thing

(don't really recommend it - beating bank interest rates can be done by finding money on the ground as well at the moment)

16 hours ago, zaph said:

Can anyone recommend online saver accounts etc? Have ~350k I need to park. 2 months - 2 years

Sold the house?

58 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

Sold the house?

Yep. I'll update the other thread.

zaph buy the dow

medved, dollar rallye should last somewhere into 2020-2022 timeframe

On 13/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, staringclown said:

I am with mebank that have purported to pay a measly three per cent if I spend on their card. Better then most terms. But US bonds are rising. The only benefit is they're liquid. Most other  deals are for the first three months before dropping back to rubbish. It's all high maintenance at the moment

Thanks. I don't plan on having the money for long anyway.

On 13/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, staringclown said:

Thanks. The best I could find was 3.1% for 4 months and then rubbish - HSBC. The application for the account was absurd - wanting to know my employer, how much I earnt etc. Those fields had to be completed to open the account. I thought, stuff it I'll go with the runner up, Citi, at 3.05, but couldn't get the bonus rate because I've had an online saver with them before. Ubank, the bronze place offered 2.87 for 4 months - or a difference in interest of around $16pw. So I swallowed my indignation and went with HSBC. I answered none of your business to each text field that wasn't a drop down box. Funny think is if I had 0 income I was unable to open an account. A minimum income of double digits was required. 

Hehe. If I know my dodgy china bank they don't care where the money comes from. It's tick a box time to satisfy Oz regulations. At least that's what the four corners report will say. :) We tried they'll say... 3.1% is awesome at the mo.

1 hour ago, staringclown said:

Hehe. If I know my dodgy china bank they don't care where the money comes from. It's tick a box time to satisfy Oz regulations. At least that's what the four corners report will say. :) We tried they'll say... 3.1% is awesome at the mo.

I don't know if they still match the introductory deals. 7 years ago I had an employee who had some cash with CBA in an online saver account and when the introductory period expired she would ring them and they would match the best  intro rate currently offered for another x period. A lot of work.