RumpledElf

Biggest loser

28 posts in this topic

My, aren't we all a bunch of fat lovers :)

Anyone been watching Biggest Loser? This year instead of making the contestants do ridiculous stupid stuff they are actually teaching them how to cook.

I find it slightly disturbing that self (even with an extra 8kg) and partner are very skinny little things but most of our cooking falls firmly in the "here's what you used to have, now cook the low fat version" in their Masterclasses. Our meal is always the one on the right with 500 calories.

I like my bacon carbonara. And we do roast chicken where you stuff under the skin with garlic butter. Mmmm roast pork with crackling. Quiche with buttery pastry ... none of this fetta and pocketbread and baby spinach and steamed chicken breasts and grilled vegetables and wholemeal pasta. Ugh! Chicken needs SKIN dammit! But we make it all from scratch, no takeaways, and usually under $10 a meal (except roasts).

Its all about serving size, anyway. Ask the French. If that bowl of carbonara they showed last night was a single serve and not the entire pot you just cooked, sure, you're going to get fat on that. We'd split that much 4 ways ... and given that all 4 of us weigh a combined 165kg - easily a Biggest Loser contestant right there - that's quite reasonable :)

Anyone been watching Biggest Loser? This year instead of making the contestants do ridiculous stupid stuff they are actually teaching them how to cook.

Maybe we should have a Biggest Loser Thread?

My missus and I are big fans since day one. Well, actually day one we watched it for a laugh but before we knew it we had "favourites" (Adro from the get go).

Finding it very hard to get into this season though because of the stuff at the beginning :angry:

Playing Texas Hold 'em at the Treasury in 2007 and one of the players had stretch marks on his upper arms. Taking a beer break my buddy whispers that he was one of the early winners.

Stretch marks on the inner bicep and lower tricep area really bad down to the elbow and not from pumping iron by his muscle tone.

Digressing slightly ...

I used to work with a fellow who would be morbidly obese by his BMI. Average height - maybe 5'9" or so - but extremely stocky and barrel chested, lots of muscle so very heavy. He said when he was going through school and was doing weights he couldn't fit into his school uniform shirts as he'd split the side seams in the arms. He had stretchmarks on his biceps for the 'good' reason.

BMIs are quite misleading. Our BMIs are 21, usually 18 (currently 21 and rising but I have two heads so I reserve the right to be gaining weight), 16 and 14, so only one of us (I'm ignoring me for now) is in the 'normal' weight range. But this is quite appropriate for our physiques and doesn't indicate at all that we are indoor flubbery types who could really use some Biggest Loser style training to gain a bit of muscle and get fitter. Same goes for the genuinely 'big boned' folks at the other end of the spectrum, and athletes or body builders who carry no fat. Big beefy fit types are incredible if you're a weedy skinny person - our plumber just leisurely picked up the concrete lid of our septic tank to see what was under the riser and the pair of us together couldn't even lift the thing!

BMIs also don't take into account gender or race - a male Tongan the same height as a female Japanese could weigh 5 times as much as she does (or more) and both would be perfectly heathy for their bone structure. Likewise this silly calorie counting thing doesn't work for us irritating skinny people who can eat all day and not exercise and not gain weight, and won't work at all the other way for the fat flubbery types who gain weight just by looking at a donut.

They did 'healthy eating' at school a few years back. The effects of it are only juuuuuuuuuuuust wearing off. For years I had to put up with every bit of meat that was 'whole' (chops, steak etc) being picked to shreds or refused outright because it had streaks of visible fat on it. But she'd scoff down sausages or crisps (not hot chips, she stands by her stance of being the only child in Australia who hates hot chips) or anything with hidden fat without complaint, and guess which is better for you? Argh! You can opt out of sex ed or religious ed but you can't opt out of food ed!

Yet you see other kids who did the same subject at school sitting on the pavement eating 2 minute noodles by the litre (can't waste that salty broth), washed down with coke and followed by a packet or two of crisps and a pie or three and they don't even notice they (and their parents) are rapidly approaching spherical. I don't know why the schools bother with the kids if they aren't going to educate the parents too. Exactly why is it there are so many incredibly short, wide people in lower socioeconomic areas? It wouldn't look so bad if they were TALL (or average) and the same width, they wouldn't be spherical then ...

/rant

I should go and write down the phone number of that ad at the medical center asking for 'foodies' who go around edumakating spherical people about proper food, teaching them how to cook etc and actually do something about it ...

Oh and to anyone who objects to me being fattist - too bad :) Just saying what I see. This one is 15, was a little under 5 foot tall, and if you go to any very low socioeconomic area (this one was taken in Elizabeth, SA) you see lots of them. I'm always amused when we go into KFC in Elizabeth on our way home - the queue is always made up of a bunch of very thin, very young teenagers who haven't had time to get fat yet, spherical people with spherical children, beefy tradies looking for energy food and ... us.

spherical.jpg

I was 70Kg at 17 and went on a mad dash of 2hours of gym a night (Airforce free one) and supplements, amino acids and a can of Tuna daily on top of 200g+ steak etc and got to 90kg by 22 and had stretch marks. All because I wanted to be a Wallaby or near to it with the appropriate babes for nocturnal company.

Now its all sagged after I retired from Rugby in 2001 and congregates near my navel.

A pickhandle across the shoulders and a beer gut with grey temples is OK I suppose when one is standing on a table with a full pint reciting Henry V, Act III.

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead! (etc etc)

I was 70Kg at 17 and went on a mad dash of 2hours of gym a night (Airforce free one) and supplements, amino acids and a can of Tuna daily on top of 200g+ steak etc and got to 90kg by 22 and had stretch marks. All because I wanted to be a Wallaby or near to it with the appropriate babes for nocturnal company.

Now its all sagged after I retired from Rugby in 2001 and congregates near my navel.

A pickhandle across the shoulders and a beer gut with grey temples is OK I suppose when one is standing on a table with a full pint reciting Henry V, Act III.

LOL

Man Up TP and regain your youth. I know more than a few people whom are stronger and fitter at 40+ than they ever were.

I'll post my BF next week at my next weigh in but for the record I'm down 13 kg from my fattest but I am a fatty at circa 30% :fear:

BUT I'm currently following a linear strength program and feeling great. I come out of the gym ten ft tall and bullet proof and walk as if I have watermelons under my arms and huge chips on my shoulders :laugh:. Not necessarily a good thing seeing as I lift in a boxing gym where even the chicks out punch me :blush:

Just thinking out aloud about the whole obesity epidemic - I was watching Beverly hills cop the other day. Every actor was thin. That got me thinking and I did a little research. People were thinner in the past. But there is no way we are "lazier" compared to the past.

Check out this animal for inspiration. He

Baddest Mother*****s Ever #9- Jack “I can’t die, it will wreck my image” LaLanne

That s*** is officially f***ing hardcore, but there's more. The guy still f***ing trains two hours a day, at age 95, with 1.5 hours of lifting and a half hour of swimming a day. How many of you motherf***rs can make that claim? F**k, I can't even make that claim. But then, you might say, it's probably just some light bull****. maybe. I imagine that's what the Oak thought, too, when he took LaLanne up on his $10k challenge- that LaLanne could f*cking ruin ANYONE in a workout.

"When Arnold Schwarzenegger came to America in 1968 and became an instant sensation on the Southern California muscle scene, LaLanne challenged the kid to a duel at Muscle Beach. The Austrian Oak was 21; the Oakland Oak was 54.

"I beat him in chin-ups and push-ups," LaLanne says.

"He said, 'That Jack LaLanne's an animal! I was sore for four days. I couldn't lift my arms!' ""

Great homage paid in the previous link but be warned about the language :blush:

I just signed up to a gym as a fact. I used to BP 10 reps at 230lb at 35. Now I could probally do 5 at 130lb...

I'll be back (with Austrian accent) :laugh:

3 days into my gym return I feel like someone has taken to my torso with a Louisville Slugger. crybaby.gif

The Biggest Loser is coming under [negative] scrutiny...

http://www.smh.com.a...00219-olzm.html

Have to admit that I've seen little of the show, but had thought some of the reported weight losses quite high given what I've read about what is realistically achievable as far as genuine fat loss, being done in a healthy safe manner. So to hear that they are encouraging unhealthy, even dangerous practices such as crash dieting and dehydration, in order to achieve the headline figures is a worry.

Not only is it bad for the participants themselves, it sets unrealistic and unachievable goals for those watching who wish to lose weight themselves, and will inevitably be dissapointed that they can't come close to replicating what they've seen on the tele, and may either give up or engage in risky weight loss strategies themselves.

This advice from a nutritionist is what I've seen elsewhere, 1 to 2 kg of fat a week is about as much as you can expect to lose on a sustainable basis.

Humans burn fat at a rate of about one to two kilograms a week, said Jenny O'Dea, an associate professor of health and nutrition education at the University of Sydney. Any more than that, and the body is eating its own muscle mass, water, bone density and liver glycogen: ''You are risking heart failure, heart attack and kidney failure.''

I also think that we tend to concentrate a bit too much on what the scales say, as they will treat the loss of a kilo of fat, muscle or water equally, whereas it's only the fat most of us want to lose. I think you need to keep an eye on things like your waist measurements, and general appearance in the mirror as well.

I also think that we tend to concentrate a bit too much on what the scales say, as they will treat the loss of a kilo of fat, muscle or water equally, whereas it's only the fat most of us want to lose. I think you need to keep an eye on things like your waist measurements, and general appearance in the mirror as well.

I'm gaining weight (still about 1kg a month) not losing it and can vouch for that. Bits that weren't wobbly before are, where my waist should be is 7 inches bigger and my butt has picked up an extra 4, so my jeans and tops stopped fitting a long time ago and now I'm starting to run out of dresses that fit. Roll on the cold weather - I have heaps of bigger winter clothes but a very limited wardrobe of summer ones ... and I'm not buying new clothes on principle for such short-term wear. Just means I have to do washing more regularly now I'm down to barely 4 outfits and its still too hot for maternity jeans.

I swear constantly buying new clothes would hide creeping weight gain, especially with the way they are always changing the sizes for vanity reasons. There's just something nice about staying the same size for years and years on end and it boggles me how people don't even notice they are gradually getting bigger until one day they wake up and realise they are absolutely enormous. You don't *have* to get bigger as you get older.

... and we sit around on the couch watching Biggest Loser while eating cupcakes looking at their low-calorie meals and speculating how much better they'd be if you add cheese and bacon ...

3 days into my gym return I feel like someone has taken to my torso with a Louisville Slugger. crybaby.gif

Are you following a program? I'm training for strength and I'm really enjoying it. I'm only 6 weeks into it but damn I feel great. Actually I think I'm becoming one of those guys that walk around the gym with chips on their shoulders and as I said before - an attitude in a Boxing gym full of fighters when you aren't one (and know it) is a bad idea :P

The Biggest Loser is coming under [negative] scrutiny...

http://www.smh.com.a...00219-olzm.html

Whoa!

I knew that all at BL wasn't Kosher but that link is a real eye opener. I don't think that I will be watching the next season

I swear constantly buying new clothes would hide creeping weight gain, especially with the way they are always changing the sizes for vanity reasons. There's just something nice about staying the same size for years and years on end and it boggles me how people don't even notice they are gradually getting bigger until one day they wake up and realise they are absolutely enormous. You don't *have* to get bigger as you get older.

The other day I was thinking to myself - "Damn, I'm losing weight like a motherfather. I'm literally swimming in this jumper." Only to realise that I was wearing my co-workers jumper. Although that was a lot better when I accidentally put on my bosses jumper and thought "F**k I've put on some serious weight over Christmas" - My boss is 20kg lighter than me :rolleyes:

A few years ago I caught my reflection in a window and it hit me like a tonne of bricks - damn I AM fat (176cm 106kg+)

:flex:

Onto Biggest loser this week

Thursdays Challenge really pissed me off. I also thought that the losers don't know how to lose. I know all is fair in love and war but that last challenge was not fair at all. If I were thrust in an unfair competition and I lost I'd be mightly pissed off. On the show they just shrugged it off. Get angry.

My weight has been very consistent for the last few years, and so has my waist size for that matter. Whilst I'm not overweight, and I exercise on a regular basis, I would still like to drop a few kilos of fat, and have set myself a goal of getting down from a 36" to a 34" waist as a minimum goal.

To get there, I've cut back on snacks like chocolate, or slices of cakes & pastries which are very prevalent at my work, and am making an effort to do more home prepared meals, especially for lunch at work. So far I'm down about 1-2kg on the scales at my gym, and my work pants do seem to be fitting a touch looser.

Are you following a program?

Same sh*t I did from 17 - 35 for my Rugby without the Leg work (Squats abd Presses) routines

Day 1. Chest and Shoulders + 30mins cardio

Day 2. Back and Bis. + 30 mins cardio.

Day 3. Off

High Reps though (8-10)and 30S between sets and reverse pyramidding the weight. When I was putting on the beef I was doing 6 reps with a spotter and 2min breaks. I'm trying to burn blubber and retone (I never lost the beef it just sagged and went soft).

Long term goal is to BP 200lbs for 10 reps, Mil Press 130lbs for 8-10 and run 5km in 20min. I'll be 35 again

I'm running 5km in 34 mins and BP 130lbs...it could take a year at least.

It was cool today so I dug out some old jeans.

They fell down - I'm still not fat enough for them.

I have clothing issues :)

Same sh*t I did from 17 - 35 for my Rugby without the Leg work (Squats abd Presses) routines

Oh man. Why did you ditch the squats?

I'm a recent (7 weeks) convert and you know what they say about those that find religion ----- that's me :flex:.

My workout M - T - F

Workout A

Squat 5 sets of 5 reps

Bench 5x5

Inverted Rows 3 x Failure

Push ups 3 sets

Crunch 3 sets

Workout B

Squat 5 sets of 5 Reps

Over Head Press 5 sets of 5

Deadlift 1 set of 5

Chinups 3 sets to failure

Prone Bridge 3 x 1min

Alternate workouts adding 2.5 kg each workout

I'm getting close to squating my body weight :flex:

...I'm getting close to squating my body weight :flex:

Depending on your age watch your hydration. If you get even slightly dehydrated you will likely start getting pretty excellent knee pain after a few years of good hard leg training. Once you get it you have a delightful treasure to carry with you for a long time.

When you don't know it is dehydration that brings it on you will be very confused as to why at times you have to take days off work because you literally cannot take the pain of walking.

Of course certain activities (kendo, skateboarding and ballet being mine) will lead you to believe you have just damaged yourself in a special way when it is just boring old dehydration.

Oh man. Why did you ditch the squats?

Both my knees have had arthroscopies I have cartilages the size of 5c coins. I still have a partial medial tear in the left.

I road cycle for leg tone. Hell, I can only run on a treadmill - my knees are bags of chips. 20 years of rugby with a lot of snow skiing. I'll be walking stick Tin at 65.

In my 20s I could squat 300lb+ if I did that now I fear something snapping and ending up on youtube via some whipper snapper's iPhone cam.

Friday I locked myself out of my abode :blush: so I had walk to the gym and work out in my work attire. I also didn't have my program.

Any old how I'd eaten big on the Thurs and all day Friday to prepare for the gym so I thought I'd go for some personal bests. Nothing worth yelling about but squatted 120kg (not game to go any higher just yet but I'd say 10 more kg a real possibility) and pressed 70kg over my head (could of done more but I'd already done 5 sets). What seriously sucked was that someone benched 120kg just before I'd gotten to the gym. That was a blow to my fragile ego :rolleyes:

Got some instruction in Olympic Lifts today. That was pretty fun.

I'm *still* gaining 1kg a month. Which means I am so far under my previous weight at this point it isn't funny. We're talking about 10kg of pure lard here that seems to have gone AWOL.

My maternity pants from last time literally fall off without safety pins, and then they are so baggy around the thighs it isn't funny. So I went on eBay to find some smaller ones, since we're a bit clothing store challenged out here.

I found it amusing that there was a last minute bidding frenzy on some smaller pants (by which point I was firmly outbid) and I went to prove to my partner that if I put a bid of what eBay said was the minimum next bid + 5c on that there's no way I'd win - the price would just jump up more.

I won :clap:

...What seriously sucked was that someone benched 120kg just before I'd gotten to the gym. That was a blow to my fragile ego :rolleyes:

I used to work with a guy that did bench presses of 90Kg or something.

That impressed me until it was explained that he doesn't use a bar and so he is saying how much per hand he does.

He was NZ Mr Natural for a bit though so I guess my ego stays intact.

I talked to him about food regimes and such, he just didn't understand me. I was saying "If I do some weights should I have protein before or after?" he said "both". I tried to explain there was no way I was going to eat more than twice a day and I need to save my good meal for later in the day so should I eat the protein crap before or after I make some stupid bits of metal go up and down.

He said "both".

So then I asked if I should have a congratulatory cigar before or after; and interrupted his waffle with "both".

He may look better physically but I had cigars. I win.

I tried to explain there was no way I was going to eat more than twice a day

You eat twice a day? Damn ... I'm a 3 meals and 4 large snacks kind of person ... 2 meals a day I'd collapse from starvation :blink:

I used to work with a guy that did bench presses of 90Kg or something.

That impressed me until it was explained that he doesn't use a bar and so he is saying how much per hand he does.

What? He was pressing 90kg dumbbells? Holy smokes if that's the case.

You eat twice a day?

tor took out a mortgage in a capital city ;)