RumpledElf

Want to live rent free in Sydney?

37 posts in this topic

http://www.news.com.au/national/family-sought-to-live-rent-free/story-e6frfkvr-1225827693836

We can all smile and nod and say Firefly is a delightfully witty writer, yes?

THE search is on for a family to live in Australia's first ever smart home. The three-bedroom home in Newington, in Sydney's west, comes with rooftop solar panels, a fuel cell that converts natural gas into electricity, water saving appliances, state-of-the-art lighting and a worm farm.

An electric car is an added bonus.

The New South Wales Government wants a family to live in the house rent free for a year, while keeping a blog on the pros and cons of the home.

Advertisements by Sydney Water and Energy Australia are asking for applications from people who are experienced writers, but don't specify what kind of writing.

"This is a groundbreaking project that will help us see what works and what doesn't for a real family so that we can plan for the households of the future,'' Energy Minister John Robertson said.

The home is being fitted out over the coming months, and is expected to welcome its first tenants in the middle of the year.

Interested families can go to this link to apply for the chance to live in the home.

http://www.news.com....r-1225827693836

We can all smile and nod and say Firefly is a delightfully witty writer, yes?

Good and bad.

If you have kids in school already, they'll have to move which is disruptive, especially for some social experiment.

Rent free is nice - but then bam... after 1 year you're back to renting again. Saving money in the meantime is nice, but with Sydney rent around 25k a year.... what will that help buy you at the end of it?

Not much in Sydney where the median is well over 500k and climbing.

I love the concept though... but if they actually had balls, they'd make it a permanent give away rather than a teaser.

Plus... Newtown?

Hardly family friendly.... it's a slum of the inner west.

If the kids were older (ie at Uni) I'd jump at the chance. But little kids and Newtown...yikes, I'm not so sure about that!

Good and bad.

If you have kids in school already, they'll have to move which is disruptive, especially for some social experiment.

Rent free is nice - but then bam... after 1 year you're back to renting again. Saving money in the meantime is nice, but with Sydney rent around 25k a year.... what will that help buy you at the end of it?

I love the concept though... but if they actually had balls, they'd make it a permanent give away rather than a teaser.

Plus... Newtown?

If the kids were older (ie at Uni) I'd jump at the chance. But little kids and Newtown...yikes, I'm not so sure about that!

Newington. Not Newtown. (I'm not sure you've been to Newtown recently either, I am not sure it would be classed as a slum by anyone).

Out of interest are you ever happy about anything? You are saying rent free is crap because rent is so cheap.

I dunno, if I lived in Sydney I'd go for that. Free electric car for a year too, plus you'd get loads of publicity for any cause you were after as this is obviously a publicity stunt.

Anyone else on this forum with a family and ability to string two words together want to try and win this one? Have to be in it to win it!

Good and bad.

Plus... Newtown?

It says Newington (a stones throw from Olympic park...........and Silverwater correctional facility, though there are more crooks outside Silverwater correctional facility than there are inside).

I have to say, having a free car, free rent, free utilities, removal/storage costs covered, free furniture (except bedrooms) and the chance to waffle about sustainability nonsense for a year is worth putting in an application for, and I think I might just do it myself despite never having even been to Sydney, and not standing to save anywhere near as much as Firefly.

I downloaded the criteria and application documents - it is very clear that what they want is a JOURNALIST with young children but they might take some random internet blogger too.

I say again, anyone on this forum with an interest in sustainability or just wants a free house for a year - go for it!

Attaching the documents if I can, although I'm sure that violates some terms and conditions somewhere, but this is a media exercise so I'm sure there's some forgiveness there.

http://simplesustainable.com/public/ENERGY-447194/ENERGY-447194.zip

Newington. Not Newtown. (I'm not sure you've been to Newtown recently either, I am not sure it would be classed as a slum by anyone).

Out of interest are you ever happy about anything? You are saying rent free is crap because rent is so cheap.

Oh I misread it, Newington?

Hmmmm, interesting!

Of course I'm happy Tor. Give me back the long term averages on housing costs (ie 2-3x the national average wage) and I'll be just peachy!

Back on topic... I might actually put in an application for this. It's not far from both work and schooling for the kids...

:)

Edited by Firefly

I just have to pretend I have a family and can write, then I could apply. Free house & car for a year in Sydney, it's a good offer.

Newtown, not a slum these days, and plenty of young families if the bistro out back of the Golden Barley or Union Hotels are anything to go by. It's a very fashionable, and expensive, area nowadays.

According to the docs posted by RE, it's more like $32k in rent and utilities for the year and you get to use the latest in home sustainability technology for the price of moving there and possibly moving out in one year and writing about it possibly in a blog and/or possibly talking about it on the media.

I find your negativity disturbing.

According to the docs posted by RE, it's more like $32k in rent and utilities for the year and you get to use the latest in home sustainability technology for the price of moving there and possibly moving out in one year and writing about it possibly in a blog and/or possibly talking about it on the media.

Just facing the reality of the situation is all.

Where are you going to put the saved dollars?

In the bank?

Welcome inflation

Welcome tax

Welcome Fees

The government and financial interests are doing nothing to encourage you to bank your savings and if the spindoctors in charge of the media are anything to go by, the market will be up another 10% this year anyway...

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth as much as assuming if someone is throwing you a freebie, you'd be an idiot not to question why.

for the price of moving there

and even that is negotiable - storage, moving costs etc. Very hard to find a downside unless you're media-phobic, since you'll probably end up on tv or something too.

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth as much as assuming if someone is throwing you a freebie, you'd be an idiot not to question why.

Its not free. You're expected to maintain a lot of media obligations and be a goldfish in a bowl for a year. You could leverage this to your own benefit and bang the housing affordability drum if you got in.

Just facing the reality of the situation is all.

Where are you going to put the saved dollars?

In the bank?

|

Whatever anyone does with the saved dollars is entirely their business, not yours. In my book, $32k is not an insignificant amount of money. Oh wait, there's the free use of a plug-in electric car too. That's gotta be worth a few thousand bucks more a year especially since you're not paying for the fuel.

But no matter if it was $10k or $20k or $40k. The bottom line is that, if you win the tender and are happy with the conditions, that's money you can spend or save as you wish and worthwhile in its own right. Whether it ultimately helps you to own a house is a separate matter altogether.

+1

+1

I wouldn't worry, the mods are in overdrive here this arvo with the gagging.

You'll be back to your own 'don't post here unless it's with cheeriness, butterflies and bunny rabbits' posting soon enough.... :rolleyes:

Whatever anyone does with the saved dollars is entirely their business, not yours. In my book, $32k is not an insignificant amount of money. Oh wait, there's the free use of a plug-in electric car too. That's gotta be worth a few thousand bucks more a year especially since you're not paying for the fuel.

But no matter if it was $10k or $20k or $40k. The bottom line is that, if you win the tender and are happy with the conditions, that's money you can spend or save as you wish and worthwhile in its own right. Whether it ultimately helps you to own a house is a separate matter altogether.

that's a fair point and I agree with you on it.

Let's just say that as a Sydney local...getting offers like this are very few and far in between for a reason. I'm always highly suspicious of a freebie.

But this one might be alright... I'll probably put in an application.

Do it. Seriously, there's not much to lose and a lot to gain. Its only a 2 page spiel on how appropriate you are for the job, and a few boxes filled in in a word doc. Run it past the wife though :)

What's the bet that some PI with 10 IPs get's to live in ittongue.gif

Knowing our luck, most likely.

It's like Backyard Blitz where they go to rework the backyard of someone with a great home in a great street... but just need the backyard done because Grandad has cancer of the balls or something.

The people who really need the help are generally ignored and that's par for the course in modern day Australia. :rolleyes:

The people who really need the help are generally ignored and that's par for the course in modern day Australia. :rolleyes:

Its called HELP ( My link ) and available to all Aussie citizens.

What the friggen hell does that have to do with what we were discussing?

I'm talking about bloody housing help and you're talking about student loans?

:blink:

Oh I misread it, Newington?

Hmmmm, interesting!

Of course I'm happy Tor. Give me back the long term averages on housing costs (ie 2-3x the national average wage) and I'll be just peachy!

Back on topic... I might actually put in an application for this. It's not far from both work and schooling for the kids...

:)

Hooray! go for it man.

that's a fair point and I agree with you on it.

Let's just say that as a Sydney local...getting offers like this are very few and far in between for a reason. I'm always highly suspicious of a freebie.

I think it is pretty clear what the catch is, your life will be a media circus. Read the requirements and that is pretty obvious.

Think of what you could do if you got in there though. You get to save a years rent + utilities + car and you have a forum to talk about house prices.

If you played it well you would be another 15 minutes of fame media personality, if you played it really well you'd walk away with a house built for by some vested interest or another.

Your initial attitude I thought was a joke referring to the shawshank redemption.

What the friggen hell does that have to do with what we were discussing?

I'm talking about bloody housing help and you're talking about student loans?

:blink:

Yes.

The people who really need the help are generally ignored and that's par for the course in modern day Australia.

Find me other countries that pay you to (our level of support) to study whilst deferring tuition payments.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ya_rates.htm

I had an Aussie version of this but lost it...

http://soc101.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/education-pays-income-by-education-level-2009-update/

I went back and re did all YR12 units as a young adult to get straight As. This country is the land of opportunity with all the breaks one could want. There is a housing bubble, big deal, look at the other stuff.

My parents tried to get Backyard Blitz (or some other clone of that show) to come out for someone as a wedding present in their new house.

The response? They don't go outside of Sydney.

And Tor is right about leveraging the 15 minutes of fame angle.

Available to all Aussie citizens who do not hold a batchelor degree or higher already?

From 1 January 2009, public universities are no longer able to offer full fee paying places to any commencing domestic undergraduate students except in certain circumstances.

So if your original chosen line of occupation is limiting your earning power, you're still screwed?

Not really helping.