tux

Post Edits in Firefox broken

15 posts in this topic

Have experienced problems with editing posts using Firefox 3.5.7 (Windows Version)

From About->Help in FIrefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

I find myself opening IE7 and editing posts using that browser.

Have no trouble editing posts using Firefox on Linux (but I think my Firefox on my Linux computers is an older version).

Have experienced problems with editing posts using Firefox 3.5.7 (Windows Version)

Odd, I have the same version and it works fine. Wonder what it is?

Edit *snigger* ok, sorry

tell them to try it from a vanilla FF profile, with nothing installed

What exactly goes wrong? What is 'experiencing problems' specifically?

What exactly goes wrong? What is 'experiencing problems' specifically?

Dang, sorry. I should have put some symptom information.

I'll use this post as a test.

Hmmm I see I am a 'Dilettante' now, I was wondering when I would graduate from Newbie.

Just tried to edit using Firefox, following clicking the 'Edit' button, the simple editor frame appears and among the posted text I can see <br /> where ever there are double spaces after full stops. These <br /> elements do not occur when editing the post using IE7 or Firefox on my Linux computers.

The next problem is that if I edit my post and try to click the "Save Changes" button, nothing happens. No visual feedback, nothing.

It might be a setting on my Firefox browser running on this Windows computer. If so, I wonder which setting it might be.

Edited by tux

I edited you and the title changed - on some people the user titles were sticky, don't ask me why :)

Its gotta be some kind of script blocker in FF that isn't agreeing with the new forum version. Its not flashblock. Adblock? If your connection is running slow (just get someone else on your LAN to download something big :rolleyes:) you see all the BR's pop up for a split second and then the formatted text comes up, so you're getting stuck halfway through whatever it is that IPB does when it loads up to edit a post.

I edited you and the title changed - on some people the user titles were sticky, don't ask me why smile.gif

Yeah, I felt something tickle. Must have been that tongue.gif

Edit (with IE7): I have Firebug and Trend AV plugin for Firefox, disabled both of them and still Edit is broken in Firefox 3.5.7 I reviewed all of the other settings from the Options menu, couldn't see anything else that might affect this and Javascript is enabled. So I wonder why edit is not working.

I also notice that in IE7, the Emoticon icon in the simple editor does not work.

Edited by tux

My Firefox 3.5.7 also seems broken with www.ajaxdns.com (cannot perform IP whois), I get this:

Fatal error: Cannot unset string offsets in /home/ajaxdns/domains/ajaxdns.com/public_html/whois/whois.ip.apnic.php on line 57

FAIL!

Out of curiousity, if you go rummaging through your own personal settings (top right, "my settings" in the drop down menu under your name) and untick "use RTE editor" is it any better? Or if it isn't already ticked, tick it?

Out of curiousity, if you go rummaging through your own personal settings (top right, "my settings" in the drop down menu under your name) and untick "use RTE editor" is it any better? Or if it isn't already ticked, tick it?

I noticed today that edits also broke in IE (edit was working in IE a few days ago, then out of nowhere it just seemed to have broken itself).

I disabled Rich Text editing as you recommended above, and that seems to overcome the problem. Thanks.

Edited by tux

Me too. Neither FF or safari works for editing. I will try the RTE fix. RTE holds formatting better.

I reported this to IP a few days back, we'll see if a fix makes its way into the next update of IPB. The thing about bugs is if you don't report 'em, the owners don't know about 'em, and noone fixes 'em.

I reported this to IP a few days back, we'll see if a fix makes its way into the next update of IPB. The thing about bugs is if you don't report 'em, the owners don't know about 'em, and noone fixes 'em.

Does anyone else have issues clicking on next / previous page of a PM conversation? Mine seems to like jumping back to the homepage.

Works fine if just click on the page number from the "inbox" of messenger.

I've got this edit bug too, in the latest version of Firefox.

Another issue, if I back and forward to a post or edit window, the text applet/window thingo completely freezes, though any text is still there. I have to hit preview to get it to come back and reload a functioning window.

Actually, the "save changes" and "use full editor" buttons do not work at all for me, which means I can't edit posts.

Yeah the text appears as unformatted in the window when editing, with </br> 's all over, its fine when posting.

Little drop down menu at the right under your name -> My Settings -> turn off the RTE editor.

Had the IPB techs here (virtually, not literally) the other day and they AGAIN posted this as a bug. Rather a lot of people have reported it as a bug but because it is so inconsistent as to who has it, they haven't fixed it yet.

Very annoying.